Annual Pass Prices - Grandfathered Price not Honored Anymore? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Annual Pass Prices - Grandfathered Price not Honored Anymore?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am wondering if the non-hard core fans will not renew. 36% to 60% increases are going to rub some people the wrong way. If they wanted to get rid of grandfathering pricing they should have started years ago by increases it by 10% each year until they got to the new pricing. Then it wouldn't be such a shock. I know one of my friends has a family of 5 on a limited budget. I don't see them renewing based on such a large increase.

Reactions: MrRoamer
Just wish I didn't have to re-buy to get on the Florida resident pricing train, since I bought my AP when I was on the College Program so got the tourist price. Would not mind my monthly FlexPay being a few bucks less.

I've been a Preferred pass holder since 2002...if the rates are more than $250 I'm out.

No matter how great the parks are, I just can't justify spending more than that a year on a pass.

I've been a Preferred pass holder since 2002...if the rates are more than $250 I'm out.

No matter how great the parks are, I just can't justify spending more than that a year on a pass.

Is it because you feel cheated that Universal raised prices, or just because it's outside your budget?

Okay but.. at these prices, are they still not giving plastic cards?

Okay but.. at these prices, are they still not giving plastic cards?
They want you to buy a lanyard. Plain and simple. I would prefer plastic as well but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like I wouldn't lose that either.

And if you don't have a lanyard I have 5 from every year of HHN and will gladly spare you.

Would nice to see some kind of digital verification but i can't see that doing anything other than slowing down entry - unless AP had a special gate (which is a nice thought).

On one of the other OU threads, and my mind fails me which one it was on, one of the posters said Universal is testing a new scanner at one of the park gates, that reads plastic tickets/passes .

I can't imagine integrating Passbook support on iPhone and the equivalent on Android would be that difficult for scanners since airline gates can handle them, and the scanners don't seem that advanced, still using the red laser line. That would be ideal for park entry, but probably not for getting discounts.

They want you to buy a lanyard. Plain and simple. I would prefer plastic as well but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like I wouldn't lose that either.

And if you don't have a lanyard I have 5 from every year of HHN and will gladly spare you.

Would nice to see some kind of digital verification but i can't see that doing anything other than slowing down entry - unless AP had a special gate (which is a nice thought).

I don't want to sound rude but I don't like wearing lanyards at theme parks. Cramps my style.

Sadly my budget.
Like many Americans, the cost of things has continued to rise while my pay has not. Rent increased, gas prices keep rising, car payments, insurance, phone bills, etc...gotta be smart with my money.

Completely understandable.

I just know certain people (like those in that wonderful UOAP group) are taking the hikes personally so figured I'd ask.

Same. I still think plastic passes are coming.
Would absolutely love plastic passes coming back but depending on what all they can do I could still see myself wearing a lanyard. HHN Express being one definite, I have gotten accustomed to it, and its pretty handy for keeping the wife and kids passes altogether.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Completely understandable.

I just know certain people (like those in that wonderful UOAP group) are taking the hikes personally so figured I'd ask.
Yeah I don't get why people take price increases as a personal attack. In reality Universal has been increasing their quality and putting money directly into the resorts which is a very good thing and they should be allowed to charge more. My main hope is that with this new price increase there may be a chance that Volcano Bay is included in pass when it opens.

I created a thread for my own selfish reason to know whether or not others were seeing the same thing or if I should call guest services to get it fixed (that way I dont have to sit on hold and then hear it is what it is). Also, my parents and their kids don't go nearly as often as we do but I have made them keep current to keep the grandfathered prices. Now I can tell them they can cancel until they are ready to start going again and have more disposable income.

Would absolutely love plastic passes coming back but depending on what all they can do I could still see myself wearing a lanyard. HHN Express being one definite, I have gotten accustomed to it, and its pretty handy for keeping the wife and kids passes altogether.
Yeah. Would love plastic. But I wear a lanyard for the hotel express pass. It's more convenient instead of fumbling in my pocket to find it. I leave my AP in my wallet.

I don't want to sound rude but I don't like wearing lanyards at theme parks. Cramps my style.
Oh, I agree 100%. I don't "wear" mine. I strap it between belt buckle loops and put it in my pocket. It's a wallet on a string (essentially.)2

Nobody notices and I am never required to put it in a locker.

Visual reference:
image.jpg

Reactions: JoeCamel
I wear my lanyard the same way, And my Preferred pass is plastic w/picture.
Had it since 2004. I still have my frequent fear pass from 04 and it is plastic w/picture. I really don't understand why they don't have plastic passes though.

At least do what SeaWorld does and charge $5 more for the option.
Does seaworld still have that? Can yoy have your multipark passes like that? And if so, where do you go? I remember a year ago or so there was this option, but thought it was a limited thing.