Attendance Tracker | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Walt Disney World is more of a city than a resort. It's expensive to run a city.

Then perhaps they shouldn't have built the city. It's not the greatest forward thinking. And yet, now they build and build and build trying to catch up.

They should have never been so dissatisfied with their numbers. They have been reacting to their greed.

Then perhaps they shouldn't have built the city. It's not the greatest forward thinking. And yet, now they build and build and build trying to catch up.

They should have never been so dissatisfied with their numbers. They have been reacting to their greed.
I have been learning quite a bit about the early days of Walt Disney World from the Guardians of the Galaxy and EPCOT threads. Looks like Walt got all that property with the intention of actually building a real City. Instead it is just the theme parks that are having to pay for all of that infrastructure. That has got to be a drain on finances.

This afternoon at Disneyland:
13668929_996283667168607_8488895800403665375_o.jpg

It's peak summer, 84 degrees and sunny...

Not to be a downer but has nobody else noticed that this wait time board is from disneyland's 50th anniversary? That means these wait times are over 10 years old. With attractions listed that no longer exist. And the park hours listed indicate its likely the winter time or slow season as well.

Disney hasn't actually ADDED capacity to a theme park since Dinorama.
Sorry, but FLE most certainly did.

Sure 20K was there before, but anyone who has been on that ride knows it's low capacity. That entire lagoon was not able to be walked on before. Now 7DMT sits there. BEHIND where 20K was is LM, which expanded the park boundaries and used what was formerly a parking lot. There's also the stupid BatB thing and 2 places to eat (BOG used an expansion pad as well...).

And if you still choose to deny that, the MK Hub expansion CERTAINLY added capacity to the park by filling in parts of the moat. The park is able to handle about 100,000 on the absolute busiest of nights currently (NYE 2015 it hit the number).

Reactions: IzzyB

Sure 20K was there before, but anyone who has been on that ride knows it's low capacity. That entire lagoon was not able to be walked on before. Now 7DMT sits there. BEHIND where 20K was is LM, which expanded the park boundaries and used what was formerly a parking lot. There's also the stupid BatB thing and 2 places to eat (BOG used an expansion pad as well...).

And if you still choose to deny that, the MK Hub expansion CERTAINLY added capacity to the park by filling in parts of the moat. The park is able to handle about 100,000 on the absolute busiest of nights currently (NYE 2015 it hit the number).

A 100,000 people in the MK? That sounds awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeCamel and Nick
A 100,000 people in the MK? That sounds horrific.
I worked that night, too. Being Main Street Custodial and having the entirety of the hub/main street JAM PACKED does not make it easy to empty consistently filling trash cans, nor does having management stressing out at you.

Walt Disney World is more of a city than a resort. It's expensive to run a city.
Correction: Disney World is less a "city" and more a suburban sprawl nightmare development you'd typically find on the outskirts of Vegas. It was poorly planned from a land-use perspective. They had so much space to work with that they chose the easiest and cheapest building locations for their parks and resorts and now there's no turning back. Disney World = Orange County (Poorly planned, spread out, limited transportation options, lack of reasonable pedestrian options, and a complete lack of density which results in long travel times, wasted energy consumption, and wasted time spent in-transit TO your destination instead of enjoying the time AT your destination.

Correction: Disney World is less a "city" and more a suburban sprawl nightmare development you'd typically find on the outskirts of Vegas. It was poorly planned from a land-use perspective. They had so much space to work with that they chose the easiest and cheapest building locations for their parks and resorts and now there's no turning back. Disney World = Orange County (Poorly planned, spread out, limited transportation options, lack of reasonable pedestrian options, and a complete lack of density which results in long travel times, wasted energy consumption, and wasted time spent in-transit TO your destination instead of enjoying the time AT your destination.
I hear many people say they stay on property to be close to the Disney parks. It is so spread out I can stay off property and save driving time.

So at Sea World today and the park did not seem crowded. At noon we were in the kids area and everything was a walk on and most times the rides were not filled up. The Shamu coaster many times went out with just 6 to 8 people on it. My daughter rode it like 7 times and each time walked right on. My other daughter and me rode everything else and walked right on to everything. Mako at this same time was 10 to 20 minute wait. I would expect longer lines in the middle of the summer. BUT everyone was hot as anything and I saw a lot of people in shady places trying to cool off. So I am not sure if that is playing into the low waits.

Correction: Disney World is less a "city" and more a suburban sprawl nightmare development you'd typically find on the outskirts of Vegas. It was poorly planned from a land-use perspective. They had so much space to work with that they chose the easiest and cheapest building locations for their parks and resorts and now there's no turning back.

I dunno if I'd say easiest and cheapest for the original 1971 resort considering it took $30 million just to move the land around to make it build able. It was also designed to have a long entranceway to remove it from the real world. EPCOT also went through a lot of different planning. After that though, it was a combination of relying on existing infrastructure and lawsuits that put the other parks and hotels so close together. Lake Buena Vista, OTH, has always been a cluster... Its like literally no planning went into that area at all in terms of getting around (originally a WEDway or Monorail was supposed to run there... one of the hotels even has support for a platform). Between the multiple names, ever changing ideas, and adding more roads LBV became the very essence of what they were trying to avoid.

Reactions: SeventyOne

THE SOUND OF YOUR OWN VOICE

You're also missing the removal of Snow White Adventures, Skyway, reduced capacity of MILF over Timekeeper and Circlerama, etc.

THE SOUND OF YOUR OWN VOICE

You're also missing the removal of Snow White Adventures, Skyway, reduced capacity of MILF over Timekeeper and Circlerama, etc.
I LOVE IT

Yeah, i'm not missing those and not buying that MK hasn't increased in capacity. Just because SWSA left doesn't mean that nothing is there, so technically capacity was not lost. 7DMT was built and LM was built - PFTH now resides where SWSA was, which has an admittedly low capacity, but it's not nothing either. Dumbo also doubled in capacity and the Hub expansion as I mentioned. It may not all be in ways that we want (rides) as a lot went to restaurants or general walking space, but capacity has increased.

Reactions: Andysol
From what I read here and elsewhere it sounds like US was down a bit in attendance, with the possibility of a rebound after July 4th. Sea World is down a good bit, with Mako not helping much. WDW and DL are down quite a bit with maybe a slight bump after the 4th. Disney is padding it's numbers a bit by giving cast members more access than usual this time of year.

Feel free to pick this apart. We won't have any solid numbers until the quarterly reports come out very soon.

I've heard that lots of people have held off on going this year, but more for the reason that there are so many attractions being refurbed until spring 2017. The list of these is quite extensive.
We booked a trip to Disneyland Paris about 3 months ago for Dec 2016, before Brexitpalooza, and that currency rate is just so depressing right now. The fact that we're also getting rinsed on currency for our Florida trip this year before then too, is really going to make us have to take a cold hard look at our travel plans for next year, as I'm sure many others will too.

I'm curious, have you costed out the entire trip or is a initial reaction? I wonder if this foreign exchange drop really going to cost you much on an overall trip basis, I have found often lower flight cost given fuel price being down and increased competition on routes plus extra discounting on accommodation sorta nets out currently the forex drop...

Well it certainly is not the only example in the world:)

I'm curious, have you costed out the entire trip or is a initial reaction? I wonder if this foreign exchange drop really going to cost you much on an overall trip basis, I have found often lower flight cost given fuel price being down and increased competition on routes plus extra discounting on accommodation sorta nets out currently the forex drop...

My wife and I are comfortable financially, have no kids, I always research thoroughly for the cheapest flights & hotels etc, but there comes a point where although you can afford it, what is seen as a 'considered outgoing' in your life crosses over into the 'luxury' point.
Disneyland Paris is extremely pricey for us Brit travellers even when currency is at a decent level, but it's going to be very painful at this level just to even feed ourselves for 5 days there. Florida is not as severe, but for a 2 week stay it is still going to cost us hundreds more dollars than it would have just a month ago. It's hard for that not to leave a bit of a bitter taste in your mouth.

Reactions: Scott W.