Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Biggest Horror IPs yet to appear at HHN?

Me and my friend conceptualized an I Know What You Did Last Summer house last night during HHN that could have potential for some good scares. The movie really had its moments.

YDCe.gif

I for the life of me cannot understand the rationale of a Jaws house other than the obvious “shark is scary”. At least with Jurassic Park, there’s a more possible approach. (And I don’t see that happening either)

I for the life of me cannot understand the rationale of a Jaws house other than the obvious “shark is scary”. At least with Jurassic Park, there’s a more possible approach. (And I don’t see that happening either)
If you’re insistent on doing any sort of “shark is scary” house, you’re better off doing “Deep Blue Sea.” At least there you can have multiple, varied locations.

Jaws is either “on a boat” or “under water,” and for both you might as well do an original so you can actually do something with them.

Black Phone would make a great little section in a Blumhouse maze, just from what I'm reading. Only one location but plenty of characters.

If you’re insistent on doing any sort of “shark is scary” house, you’re better off doing “Deep Blue Sea.” At least there you can have multiple, varied locations.

Jaws is either “on a boat” or “under water,” and for both you might as well do an original so you can actually do something with them.
In my head, I picture it being designed similarly to TCM this year where it's a take on the aesthetic and characters from the movies while largely being seperated from a specific time/place. You cannot make a book report Jaws house, it's just impossible. I do however think there is a possibility for an "original"-style Jaws (and also JP/JW) house to work. Set it largely underwater with victims, well made shark puppets, and John Williams musical cues, and it could work.

Working well is a different question, and not the one I'm really interested in asking here. I brought up Final Destination a few pages back, and that is a property I think you just can't make a house out of. It'd basically just be victims and rube-goldberg prop scares, which I don't think can support a full house. A "Killer shark" haunt has more potential for scares or scenes. Deep Blue Sea, 47 Metres Down, The Shallows could provide more freedom than Jaws' source material allows, but Jaws is also owned by Universal and as such isn't bound to the source material in the same way other houses might be. They could do whatever crazy original "What if" story they want, as they love to do with the Classic Monsters. Any scare ideas or locations that Jaws (1975) doesn't allow for could be implemented in a Jaws house anyways.

Bride of Frankestein LIVES and Texas Chainsaw Massacre this year reveal a path for a passable Jaws house to be designed and approved. Especially once we start really entering the "new IP" drought. A dash of classic Studios nostalgia doesn't hurt either.

In my head, I picture it being designed similarly to TCM this year where it's a take on the aesthetic and characters from the movies while largely being seperated from a specific time/place. You cannot make a book report Jaws house, it's just impossible. I do however think there is a possibility for an "original"-style Jaws (and also JP/JW) house to work. Set it largely underwater with victims, well made shark puppets, and John Williams musical cues, and it could work.

Working well is a different question, and not the one I'm really interested in asking here. I brought up Final Destination a few pages back, and that is a property I think you just can't make a house out of. It'd basically just be victims and rube-goldberg prop scares, which I don't think can support a full house. A "Killer shark" haunt has more potential for scares or scenes. Deep Blue Sea, 47 Metres Down, The Shallows could provide more freedom than Jaws' source material allows, but Jaws is also owned by Universal and as such isn't bound to the source material in the same way other houses might be. They could do whatever crazy original "What if" story they want, as they love to do with the Classic Monsters. Any scare ideas or locations that Jaws (1975) doesn't allow for could be implemented in a Jaws house anyways.

Bride of Frankestein LIVES and Texas Chainsaw Massacre this year reveal a path for a passable Jaws house to be designed and approved. Especially once we start really entering the "new IP" drought. A dash of classic Studios nostalgia doesn't hurt either.
That's my thought as well. Also remember that The Exorcist took a more loose approach to its house, as well. It used the exorcism itself/movie's end as the general throughline, but it also played around with some of the iconic imagery in a more abstract approach.

FWIW - Universal-owned IP doesn’t mean it’s a slam dunk for usage. It’s definitely easier but not a lock.

also - I still don’t see it.

The ability of IPs TCM, Bride, and The Thing having “original story expansions” is in the general mobility of the characters. Leatherface, as a human, could drive to tge local Wal-Mart and live it up, if he wanted to. The alien parasite could infect a plane. The give you a variety of settings, scares, and characters within a single house. Even the JP/JW franchise allows more flexibility now that the dinosaurs are on the mainland.

Jaws really doesn’t offer. If you do a house that’s predominantly underwater, you’re far better off just doing an original (a la Knott’s The Depths) because you can have more variety of characters. If you do it predominantly on a boat, it will suffer from a lot repetition.

The people who clamor for a Jaws house, I think, are a lot of the same people clamoring for a Jaws ride. They want a shark. But, Universal Parks still pays and negotiates with Universal Pictures to license stuff for haunts. Why would Universal spend money on to license such a limited experience when an original would be a far better house? There are IPs that may not be in house, but can give the same sort of scares with a much better overall experience.

The ability of IPs TCM, Bride, and The Thing having “original story expansions” is in the general mobility of the characters. Leatherface, as a human, could drive to tge local Wal-Mart and live it up, if he wanted to. The alien parasite could infect a plane. The give you a variety of settings, scares, and characters within a single house. Even the JP/JW franchise allows more flexibility now that the dinosaurs are on the mainland.

Jaws really doesn’t offer. If you do a house that’s predominantly underwater, you’re far better off just doing an original (a la Knott’s The Depths) because you can have more variety of characters. If you do it predominantly on a boat, it will suffer from a lot repetition.

The people who clamor for a Jaws house, I think, are a lot of the same people clamoring for a Jaws ride. They want a shark. But, Universal Parks still pays and negotiates with Universal Pictures to license stuff for haunts. Why would Universal spend money on to license such a limited experience when an original would be a far better house? There are IPs that may not be in house, but can give the same sort of scares with a much better overall experience.
Very reasonable counterpoint. An original underwater house with scary fish/squid people, mermaids, or any number of sea creatures would be infinitely better, easier to design, and cheaper than licensing out Jaws for a bunch of shark head puppets on sticks that'd probably end up not resonating with guests.

And I totally get why some like Brian don't get the idea at all, it is a very out there idea and would probably be one of the strangest things Universal has done at the event. l do also think it's a fun thought experiment and I stand by my belief that no matter how unlikely, a Jaws house is not completely unfounded and under very very specific conditions could potentially make it's way to the event.

But also in terms of this thread's specific purpose, the argument is completely null considering the Jaws ride was open for half of Horror Nights' history up to this point, so...¯\_( ツ)_/¯

If they did Jaws (which I think could happen) they would need to crack there knuckles and work very hard and be very creative to make it work in a appealing way.

Watching Gremlins 2: A New Batch for the first time recently has made me really want to see Gremlins at HHN. A part of me though does not a HHN Gremlins to be based of the films, but instead feature a slightly original story where the Gremlins take over the Universal Orlando Resort. It would be hilarious (at least for me) to see Gremlins wreak havoc upon places like Finnegans, 30 Rock, the Mummy, or better yet Supercharged.

I said this in another thread, but I'll say it here once more:

Horror Game IPs

Big market, yet no appearance at Halloween Horror Nights besides Resident Evil @ the international parks.