Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure

I completely agree. I think people expect the moon from the show. As a first year guest to HHN, I really, really enjoyed the show. Was it the best thing on earth? No. But I definitely didn't feel like it was trash like people here seem to.

I mean I do get their frustration, mainly due to how much things have changed in the past 5 years. Bill and Ted in 2006 was completely different but I think people need to realize that the show has changed.

I have to agree with Jake -- the last show was amazing. It was hilarious and it'll definitely be a tradition of mine to see the last show every year from now on.

Last year was my first year of HHN and I was only able to go one day. I saw the show once and didn't really get why people liked it so much. I got to see it more this year and it definitely grew on me as the event wore on. Some of the references weren't great, but the show itself was still good, at least to me.

I mean I do get their frustration, mainly due to how much things have changed in the past 5 years. Bill and Ted in 2006 was completely different but I think people need to realize that the show has changed.

I know it's just "the way of things," but I seriously never understood how the right by parody law doesn't apply to Bill & Ted. South Park can get away with blasting Disney (and everyone else) all the time, by name, to a much larger audience. Why can't Universal in their dinky little Halloween show?

I know it's just "the way of things," but I seriously never understood how the right by parody law doesn't apply to Bill & Ted. South Park can get away with blasting Disney (and everyone else) all the time, by name, to a much larger audience. Why can't Universal in their dinky little Halloween show?

SouthPark actually parodies Disney. B&T didn't. They just had Jack and Davy Jones monologue in full character.

SouthPark actually parodies Disney. B&T didn't. They just had Jack and Davy Jones monologue in full character.

Okay, but that's still a parody. You're using a licensed character in a goofy or ridiculous in a sense that is meant to ridicule the source material. Right by parody.

Sometimes its funnier when you let peoples imaginations finish the joke as well... One of my favorite Bill and Ted segments was them making fun of the Holy Land Experience in 2003. Well come to think about they have mentioned it more than once :lol:

Okay, but that's still a parody. You're using a licensed character in a goofy or ridiculous in a sense that is meant to ridicule the source material. Right by parody.

Jack and Davy were not parodies. Hellboy was not a Parody. Dr. Evil (while a parody within the context of his own film) was not a parody. Putting real characters with virtually unaltered costumes and lined with no uncharacteristic features or puns isn't parody, especially if said character(s) is property of a rival corporation. It's theft. To put the shoe on the other foot, if Beetleguise were to make a surprise appearance during Star Wars Weekends's Hyperspace Hoopla depicted exactly as he is in his movie, Universal would (and rightfully should) be pissed.

Jack and Davy were not parodies. Hellboy was not a Parody. Dr. Evil (while a parody within the context of his own film) was not a parody. Putting real characters with virtually unaltered costumes and lined with no uncharacteristic features or puns isn't parody, especially if said character(s) is property of a rival corporation. It's theft. To put the shoe on the other foot, if Beetleguise were to make a surprise appearance during Star Wars Weekends's Hyperspace Hoopla depicted exactly as he is in his movie, Universal would (and rightfully should) be pissed.

I didn't see the 2006 show, so I can't comment on whether or not they acted just like their on-screen counterparts. Universal somehow got away with this for 16 years: they've been able to parody Disney since 06 (see "Pecker"), as long as the character isn't explicitly recreated (see: Captain Mexicano). Even still, in 09 they were able to get away with a lot... Cobra Commander (carbon copy), GI Joe in general, Ironman, Michael Myers, etc... Dr. Evil appeared LAST YEAR (though to be honest, I never understood how he and Mr. Burns could show up so often without any change in their characters.) Hellboy was a Universal property - I liked that system, where they picked a Universal film (Hellboy in 08 and Land of the Lost in 09) to base the plot around and use the villain. It made sense. Why'd that practice stop?

:rep: :rep: :rep:

So what were the differences in this seemingly great last show?

It's tough to sell the last show to people who hate it to begin with. But the actors pretty much changed lines and jokes up and it was more of a self-aware show.

If you remotely enjoyed the show this year, you would have had a blast. If you hate the show, then you didn't miss anything.

Sadly I also went with a person that never saw the show and they were bored out of there Mind. The other issue is they don't even use Universal characters, Harry Potter, Transformers, Fast and Furious. Last year they missed Tiger Woods and Avatar. If you took a poll of people who have gone for year I am sure 75 percent will say the last 2 years of Bill and Ted have been just sad. Maybe it is all Political Correctness gone mad or maybe there isn't that much to make fun of. I watched The Hanging Show at Knotts Last year on You Tube and they Slammed the hell out of everyone and it was hilarious. Also if you have never heard of The Hanging it is where HHN got the idea for doing a show that slams pop culture not Vice A versa. Opinions may Vary but in My Opinion It was a slow dull unfunny 20 minutes.

OMG YES! spook

I just looked up the Hanging Show from this year and they do EVERYTHING Bill and Ted used to do.

Look at this year's show on youtube, its pretty dang funny, except the angry birds part.

[video=youtube;VG_ba1FU7Cs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG_ba1FU7Cs[/video]

It's tough to sell the last show to people who hate it to begin with. But the actors pretty much changed lines and jokes up and it was more of a self-aware show.

If you remotely enjoyed the show this year, you would have had a blast. If you hate the show, then you didn't miss anything.

I give the show a shot every year and I don't hate the show itself, but I am disappointed with the material. I think the set production is good and I don't think the dancers/actors are bad. I have a problem with the content and writing. It's all over the place, not all current, but worst not very funny. This is obviously my personal opinion, but I also did go with three newbies this year and none of them cared for the show...

I guess next year I'll have to go check out the last show and see the difference for myself. And hopefully they'll also have a good regular show with writing that is fresh, creative, original, current, witty and funny.

I completely agree. I think people expect the moon from the show. As a first year guest to HHN, I really, really enjoyed the show. Was it the best thing on earth? No. But I definitely didn't feel like it was trash like people here seem to.
To be honest, my first time to HHN was in 2010 and when I saw the show of that year, I thought it was pretty damn hilarious! I thought there were a few "WTF?" moments though, (like the ending with Dr. Evil, I swear only one person in the entire audience laughed when he popped up on the screen :look:) but overall I thought it was great! I guess the main reason why everyone here who's seen the show before and seems to hate they're newer shows is that they expect too much which pretty much disspoints them compared to how they felt about there first show, which back than they had no idea what to expect.