Bill and Ted's being called 'Homophobic' | Inside Universal Forums

Bill and Ted's being called 'Homophobic'

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Here's the original article that got people talking: http://www.vice.com/read/the-bill-and-ted-show-at-universal-studios-is-super-homophobic-and-also-racist-and-terrible

In the end, I think this is probably the reason why they crack down on filming every year. When you have a specific agenda, it's quite easy to edit and slice a 45 minute show to suit your needs. Plus, I don't think Universal makes any quibbles when it comes to warning audiences beforehand about the show's content. Regardless, both articles (the Huffington Post especially) scream of link bait. I wouldn't pay any attention to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok well....I don't think that was that bad...

Bill & Ted is a racy and inappropriate show. No way around it, and you can't sugar coat it. Just like Family Guy, Bill & Ted pokes fun at EVERY race and stereotype. It's almost completely equal. As they say in Avenue Q, everyone's a little bit racist! If you don't like it, don't watch. It's not THAT bad...yes, a bunch of stuff might make you roll your eyes, but come on.

As for being homophobic, I saw none of that as being homophobic. It was reaaaally stereotyping gay guys in a very 2003 kind of way, which pretty much is annoying in this day and age. But it was all in good fun I guess. Slightly annoying and in bad taste but it was just humor...nothing homophobic. Just stereotypes. There's a difference between stereotypes and "___phobia".

*shrug*

Let me point out that NBCUniversal and USH are VEEEEERY pro-gay and completely supportive of everything having to do with LGBT. That performance is just an annoying stereotype, just like every other stereotype in the show (small annoying asian who can't speak proper English, and Latinos being in gangs/poor in Van Nuys). It's slightly annoying, depending on who you are, but what can you do? Don't watch.

Reactions: Krusty
They make a disclaimer at the start of every show that Bill & Ted is an equal opportunity offender, so I'm not sure where the fuss is.

What can Universal do? Send a press release? If I were both authors, I'd take a look at NBCUniversal/Universal Studios Hollywood's relationship with the LGBT community. As Allen mentioned, both companies have pretty decent track records when it comes to supporting various LGBT causes. The fact that the Huffington Post posted two videos from different parks and different shows leads me to believe that they're talking complete crap. Plain and simple.

If you want to know why Entertainment doesn't do anything out of the realm of complete safety anymore, this is why.

Sometimes people just want to stir up crap.  This is what America was founded upon, freedom of speech.  If you are going to an HHN event, which is not suitable for children....DUH!

They make a disclaimer at the start of every show that Bill & Ted is an equal opportunity offender, so I'm not sure where the fuss is.

What can Universal do? Send a press release? If I were both authors, I'd take a look at NBCUniversal/Universal Studios Hollywood's relationship with the LGBT community. As Allen mentioned, both companies have pretty decent track records when it comes to supporting various LGBT causes. The fact that the Huffington Post posted two videos from different parks and different shows leads me to believe that they're talking complete crap. Plain and simple.

If you want to know why Entertainment doesn't do anything out of the realm of complete safety anymore, this is why.
Decent track record is an understatement ;)

But yeah...the gay jokes were extremely stereotyped and I will agree that they were annoying and in 2013 it's not that funny anymore usually for me. Funny, but not much more. However, it was NOT homophobic whatsoever. The whole show is based around every stereotype and they make fun of everyone. It's a raunchy comedy show. Chill out lol. With personal ties to the LGBT community, i can comfortably tell you that none of that was homophobic. Slightly annoying, but not that offensive, especially since EVERYONE is made fun of.

I'm wondering if the author realizes that most likely a good chunk of the audience laughing at the queer Superman bit are in the LGBT community.

Now that Huffington has run with it I bet they take the scene out of the show.

I agree with you, Allen. Making fun of stereotypes in a parody show is not in any way "homophobic". It's sad that people have no sense of humor about so many things.

Reactions: Allen The Actor
I hope Universal stands behind the show.

If you read the comments by those who have actually seen Bill and Ted, you'd know that practically no one took issue with the skit. It's only the typical internet drive-by commentators that are taking personal offense.

..and to be frank, they can stuff it. They're the worse kind of internet trolls. Purely reactionary without restraint.

Suppose it's time for me to chime in. I agree with you guys, it's just joking around. Only mildly annoying, but it offends me far less than Will & Grace or whatever that stupid show was and other shows with a stereotypical over the top 90s gay male character that seem to think that's how they honestly behave, rather than poking fun at stereotypes.

Often the type of people who react with such righteous indignation are middle class, ultra liberal straight white women. Now, having studied class/gender/race relations I say this in absolute seriousness. Often those who complain in the most grating manner are not those most affected. (See the Republican party and anything related to helping the poor or women)

As a queer person myself (bisexual, surprise! =D Actually it's more complicated than that and I'm more than open to discuss and educate in private if anyone has questions) I can say I was not offended, nor were any of my many fellow liberal gay friends whom I discussed this with. I know we can't speak for all, but in general, it's not homophobic. It sees the stereotypes and punches them in the face in a positive and empowering way. And NBC Uni has been such a pro gay company. I have much respect for them.

I so agree, Miss Betty. The Superman skit is making fun of the stereotype not of being gay.

I know it's a cliche but many of my friends are gay. I live in LA, I work in the theater. (musical theater!!) My roommate is gay. Opening night I was there with six of us - half are gay. Not one one them was offended. We all laughed - they thought the actor was hot (and wondered if he was "one of them"). Unfortunatly I think Universal will cave in. Huffington Post made the original "drive-by" blog national. I hope they don't! I have written an email to them showing my support. I hope others will. But people are more likely to email if they are upset than in support.

Reactions: Allen The Actor
Nah. It's just some random editorial in HuffPo. If Universal budges, I'd be surprised. They know their audience better than to do that.

Well, they didn't cut the offending sequence - Universal has shut down the enrire Bill & Ted show putting 30 plus people out of work.
Way to go, Huffington Post editor, for putting people out of work because you were offended by a viral video at an event you didn't even attend because you probably wouldn't like it in the first place.

Way.

To.

Go.

I'm honestly kind of crushed right now. I've always loved the show and it's disheartening to see it being taken down like this.

Reactions: William