Bill and Ted's being called 'Homophobic' | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Bill and Ted's being called 'Homophobic'

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Personally not of a fan of the show, not for its racey content but its not my cup of tea(personally I like the Hanging at Knotts better). Universal should have stood by their creative ideas and not let there knees buckle under a little weight. People may hate me but personally wouldnt want the show to return at all but it should have run its full course for HHN 2013. I think a Universal monster show with current topics and pop culture would be way better(al la Bettlejuices Rock N Graveyard Revue) and would keep their Universal Monster more current.

Reactions: Ryan
 http://www.vice.com/read/universal-studios-canceled-their-homophobicracistterrible-bill-and-ted-show

Top comment:

The cancellation was an overreaction. The show was written and directed by gay men, and had many gay folks in their cast; plus, the company is *extremely* gay-friendly, having granted insurance to employees in same-sex relationships before any other studio (in 1998). While the show may have been crass and distasteful -- it has been like that for nearly 20 years, it's quite literally the *signature* of the show. There's even an announcement about that before the show starts. It's also not a daily show, just at Halloween -- an event that also has an interactive Chucky puppet that tells guests he fucked their mom and to suck his dick. The article was shrill and out of context. If you didn't see the show yourself, the article doesn't paint a correct picture of the humor. Find it distasteful all you want, but racist and homophobic it wasn't, and has never been. Universal's cancellation sets a really dumb, bad precedent.

I am gay and have watched the show for years. It's crass, but an equal-opportunity offender IMHO.
How can I buy this man a drink?

I, too, have no issue with the writer of the original review. I take issue with the Huffington Post for running the review and taking it a face value. They claim to be  journalists. A call to Universal and a representation of their side in their national news story is responsible journalism. They chose not to do that.

I'm scared by the blurring of the line between true homophobia and parody. Homophobia is abhorrent. When we call parody homophobia we weaken the abhorrent reality that is homophobia. When everything is homophobia don't we disrespect the true victims of homophobia?

We should respect personal opinion. We should fight true homophobia. It is essential that we do not weaken the term by calling anything we personally dislike "homophobic". As has been pointed out the director of the show is gay, many of the creative team is gay, many of the performers and crew are gay. They worked hard on this show trying to find that fine line between the "push the envelope" adult humor expected from this show with their own, personal sensitivity. Now they are labeled as homophobic. And when USH took down the show they told the world they were embarrassed by it.

How can I buy this man a drink?
Incidentally enough, he's actually a pretty important figure within the theme park industry. Fascinating to see his comments on the topic.

And when USH took down the show they told the world they were embarrassed by it.
Very, very true. Ever since the closure, every media imaginable has covered it. Guess that wasn't what Universal wanted, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very, very true. Ever since the closure, every media imaginable has covered it. Guess that wasn't what Universal wanted, huh?
That's why it was the dumbest move I've ever seen a theme park company do. If they had just done nothing after defending it, it would've gone away. But no, they cancelled it and that caused an even larger stink... because that's a way better story. "Theme park show shut down after accusations of gay slander" is a ridiculously and hilariously tasty headline, and I don't blame any media outlet for running it. Wouldn't you?

That's why it was the dumbest move I've ever seen a theme park company do. If they had just done nothing after defending it, it would've gone away. But no, they cancelled it and that caused an even larger stink... because that's a way better story. "Theme park show shut down after accusations of gay slander" is a ridiculously and hilariously tasty headline, and I don't blame any media outlet for running it. Wouldn't you?
I don't either.

Whatever happens, I wonder if the show will return next year. People still don't seem to grasp the concept of what Bill & Ted is about (with many thinking it's a reenactment of the film), and I doubt that's going to change with all this national attention.

Bad move, Universal. Bad move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if Universal decides to do the show next year - which at this point seems unlikely - it will be neutered. I’m sure that will make some people quite happy. They will enjoy a show without anything "offensive". Is that why people go see the show....

You know, the more I think about this, the more I grow frustrated with Universal. Didn't Orlando face criticism as well?

I think this sets a pretty bad precedent for future shows. It seems like such an odd movie from such a large company. I mean, this isn't Six Flags we're talking about. You would think a full fledged entertainment company would know how to handle criticism and react accordingly.

I have been hearing that the decision to close Bill and Ted was made by the rights holder of the Bill and Ted franchise.

I have been hearing that the decision to close Bill and Ted was made by the rights holder of the Bill and Ted franchise.
I've heard that too. Not sure what to make of it, really. I guess that would make sense since they're planning to release a third movie.

I'm sure there were many groups involved in the decision. Worldwide Universal and "Bill & Ted" were in the headlines with the word "homophobic". I have family in NY state, no interest in these Halloween events anywhere, who called me asking what I knew because they know I'm a fan. All they knew were the headlines.

Still I think it was a poor decision. Too bad they didn't put out several press releases saying the company has always believed in diversity and respect, is a strong supporter of the LGBT community, has partnered with GLADD and other groups over the years and while they respect the views expressed they feel the long running comedy show does non rise to the level of hate or any phobias.

Oh well, I'm going to miss the show. I looked forward to it each year.

Reactions: Jon Fu
I heard this as well... but I'm not so sure. It makes sense and if it was true I'd be a little more relieved and understanding.

One thing that DISGUSTED me was hearing that GLAAD originally supported all of Universal with its ties to gay culture and how friendly it is, and they keep close tabs, especially with entertainment. Given that the show was created, written, directed by gay men and featuring many actors, the communities including GLAAD was totally onboard with the show and knew well of it. That is, until accusations came about, in which the organization quickly turned on USH despite having been okay with it before just to make themselves look better. That's so slimy and again, like most of the parties involved with this debacle, lowers my opinion of them.