Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cabana Bay Beach Resort

Is there really that much of a demand for food in Cabana? I thought the tower side grill and the diner was enough, most of the time its quite empty.
Not if staying on Courtyard side. If sitting by pool you have to walk all the way to the other side for food. It's the reason we booked tower side for our next trip, obviously unaware they were adding this option.

Got to stay in the new Bayside tower last week (5/26 - 6/4). Booked a "tower" room and got this one.

New signage in the Bayliner:
bs.jpg

We were on the third floor looking out over the seating area of the Kohola Reef Restaurant & Social Club.

Fun, but maybe creepy watching people in the park.
sc.jpg

It was the same exact room type as the time we stayed in Americana (which we loved). But, man, the walk to the bus or to Swizzle was long. i do not recommend these rooms for that reason.

We actually had a limited view of the volcano though! lol!vv.jpg

Ha! One neat thing was that it was easy to tell if they did the night show. No show for that week, just an odd blue to purple bubbly cauldron effect those nights.

Last but not least: these towers do not have first floor rooms. Rather, it is laundry and half the structure is a drive-able road going under. My best try to get a shot of it includes some flattened bamboo.

bamboo.jpg

Maybe @Teebin can comment on this, but i'm pretty sure that is not how to raise bamboo.

All in all, great for VB early entry, otherwise stay in Americana or Continental.

I still love staying here and it has gotten better with VB open!

35501035352_47a188a59f_c.jpg

35539577681_b38790ab31_c.jpg

35539578241_43e5d38cf0_c.jpg

35539578711_a1fef05ecf_c.jpg

35539580371_67889e8239_c.jpg

Staying at CBBR for the first time in August. Booked a family suite. Any suggestions on a building or area to request. (I have seen it suggested to call about a week in advance and make requests. Is that about right?)
I don't know much about the resort so far, except that it is BIG! It'll be me, hubby, 12yo and 8yo... so, we're fairly mobile and don't need a stroller or anything. The only thing I know I want to avoid is views of Volcano Bay. I know a lot of people want them, but we aren't going there during our trip and I don't want to throw it in the kiddos' faces every day, so I'd rather avoid looking out at it constantly.
So... any favorite locations I should request?

Did you book a tower or courtyard view room?
I booked online, and, honestly, I don't think it said...
There was a place for "requests" after I finished the ressies. But, I don't think I clicked anything special - other than "birthday" and "anniversary" since it is one of my kiddos birthdays 2 days after we leave, and out anniversary the following weekend.
Oh! And, I believe I clicked on "not ground floor" or "upper level" or something, as well.

I booked online, and, honestly, I don't think it said...
There was a place for "requests" after I finished the ressies. But, I don't think I clicked anything special - other than "birthday" and "anniversary" since it is one of my kiddos birthdays 2 days after we leave, and out anniversary the following weekend.
Oh! And, I believe I clicked on "not ground floor" or "upper level" or something, as well.

Hmmm ok. Call and request a courtyard room if possible, you'll avoid seeing VB and have minimal walks from the food court, lobby, and buses to the parks.

Hmmm ok. Call and request a courtyard room if possible, you'll avoid seeing VB and have minimal walks from the food court, lobby, and buses to the parks.
So... if I'm looking at the map right and putting this together, Starlight, Thunderbird and Castaway are the "courtyard" side and surround the pool. While Continental and Americana are closer to Volcano Bay and surround the lazy river?

Oh, wait... now I've confused myself again. lol. They are both courtyards. Starlight, Thunderbird and Castaway are the "Cabana Courtyard." And the other 2 are the "Lazy River Courtyard." Would you suggest that I request "Cabana Courtyard?" or do you mean something different by "courtyard."
Good Lord... I just tried to read about the refill program and that made my head explode. ;)

Last edited:
Myself, I prefer the Main Pool Courtyard Suite rooms with the pool view (Thunderbird etc) ...You'll hear a wee bit of noise from the pool music, but it kind of adds to the happy atmosphere. If you get the pool view you have quick access to the Main Pool , which is the larger of the two pools & has a water slide). And, all of the brightly colored neon makes for one of the most beautiful night time areas at any of the Universal on site resorts. The rooms open to the outside, like the Disney Moderate Hotels. similar to the 1950-60's motor lodge hotels which Cabana emulates......If you're in the Tower rooms ( somewhat smaller pool & lazy river area) the rooms will open to the more traditional hotel indoor hallway.....Kind of a personal tastes choice......Whichever you choose, you can use either of the two pools and the Lazy River. We usually split time between the two areas since they both have their relative merits and give you different experiences.

So... if I'm looking at the map right and putting this together, Starlight, Thunderbird and Castaway are the "courtyard" side and surround the pool. While Continental and Americana are closer to Volcano Bay and surround the lazy river?

Oh, wait... now I've confused myself again. lol. They are both courtyards. Starlight, Thunderbird and Castaway are the "Cabana Courtyard." And the other 2 are the "Lazy River Courtyard." Would you suggest that I request "Cabana Courtyard?" or do you mean something different by "courtyard."
Good Lord... I just tried to read about the refill program and that made my head explode. ;)

That's it.

Yeah, that is correct. We drive so I kind of like the 'motel' type set up as parking should be close to your room, there are just four stories to the buildings and the room opens to the outside world while the towers have hallways and such. To me, the worst thing about the courtyard rooms is the lack of windows back in the sleeping room. I know I stayed in a tower room once and think it was similar though.

I do like the pool with the slide better than the pool by the lazy river. Oh, the tubes they sell are now resort branded so they look better than the tire looking ones they had last time we stayed. Now, I could still enjoy my adult sipping cup on the river, but they either changed the tops or ran out of the pop up ones that made it a sippie cup...

35588369361_760379b5f5_c.jpg

We've stayed 3x: Americana, Thunderbird, and Bayside. Avoid Bayside and Beachside (the new towers) if you are not going to VB.

Personally, i like the "original" towers (Americana and Continental) better than the courtside rooms. The rooms open into an AC'ed hallway rather than the hot outside, for one. They are on the lazy river side, for two. Be sure to go to both sides for the pools though - they are both great. Also, Hideaway and Atomic Tonic are awesome and both usually have Jai Alai IPA on draft, which is a great local IPA.

In any event, if they give you a choice (and that has happened to us), get a room closer to the middle (see attached map). Closer to buses, closer to Bayliner and The Swizzle, and (as ridiculous as it sounds) closer to Galaxy Bowl (a great afternoon relaxer*).

*i often thought, "who the heck is wasting time bowling while in the this awesome theme park?". Turns out, it is pretty fun. You get an alley for an hour, rather than a pre-defined number of games. Kids can practice and f around while you order drinks from the servers who deliver them to your bowling alley. It is awesome. Make a reservation though!

Attachments

• cbbr.png
    cbbr.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Has anyone stayed at the new towers? I currently have a volcano room booked for HHN. We do plan on going to volcano bay probably in the day before HHN.

i have. Look a few posts up (#2286) for my review. ^

They are great for VB EPA. Otherwise, a bit too far from everything else.

Last edited:
Staying at CBBR for the first time in August. Booked a family suite. Any suggestions on a building or area to request. (I have seen it suggested to call about a week in advance and make requests. Is that about right?)
I don't know much about the resort so far, except that it is BIG! It'll be me, hubby, 12yo and 8yo... so, we're fairly mobile and don't need a stroller or anything. The only thing I know I want to avoid is views of Volcano Bay. I know a lot of people want them, but we aren't going there during our trip and I don't want to throw it in the kiddos' faces every day, so I'd rather avoid looking out at it constantly.
So... any favorite locations I should request?

You are going to see Volcano Bay a lot no matter what. Its huge and its literally right beside Cabana Bay, so you can't help but to see it often (when driving in, just walking around the resort or in the lazy river area, etc). I would just recommend picking a room close to the food area/lobby. Because if you don't get a room close to there, its a really long walk back to your room.

So here's a thing i feel a little guilty about. If you read up, you'll see that we got to stay in Bayside tower a week after it opened.

Housekeeping was very hit-or-miss. They did not even come by on least 3 days out of our 11.

We like to do the mid-day nap/refresh, and CBBR is fantastic for this w/ the lazy river. But, with the new RFID locks, there was no "Occupied" or "Leave me alone" door hangers. After calling down, they gave us a bunch of magnets for that, which are meant to be stuck to the door frame.

One day we came back to an "Employee in Room" magnet, but they were obviously long gone.

So, some souvenirs i guess.

Attachments

• 20170806_222232.jpg
    20170806_222232.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31