Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Camera Equipment Questions and Recommendations

Yeah they're both great cameras. The 80D is nice, I don't know that I could get over spending that kind of money and still having a crop sensor though.

Yeah, I've looked at a lot of the Canon full-frame cameras. I liked the 80D compared to them that justified me potentially sticking with crop sensor. But I keep going back and forth between "I'm going Sony" to "I'm staying with Canon" each day. :lol:

Here is something to consider also. The Sony lens selection for the new E mount full frames are still in their infancy and what is available is no bargain that is for sure. There isnt a ton of cheaper third party lenses out yet for that system which makes it even harder. That's the main reason I didn't make the switch, as tempting as it was. Sure you can use an adapter and even use other lens but then what you lost in size and weight is just made up with the adapter. Plus there is loss in focus speed and fstops. How much video do you do in low light, minus HHN? You can always look into some sort of lighting for your camera, a lot of options in that department that wont break the bank

If money is an issue here is what I would do
Stick with the Canon, get the 80D and then maybe lens or 2, would still come in cheaper than just the Sony body alone.

If money wasnt so much an issue
I would consider even a Canon FF, you're looking for better low light performance and that should give you a little bump up in low light shooting. You would need to figure out which lenses you have now that would be compatible with a Canon FF to see what you would need to get rid of. 5D Mark III perhaps? Another option is the 6D which is FF and about the same cost as the 80D

If money was no problem then all in with the Sony lol. I want to get the new A99II but right now its more than i want to spend and making the jump to the A7 put me in the same spot you are in. Go price out the A7 you want and all the glass you'll need, its insane.

I know carrying around more isnt something you really want to do but another options is getting a separate dedicated video camera that shoots great in low low light. You can probably swing that plus the 80D and a lens and still be cheaper than just the Sony body lol

Something to also possibly consider with the Canon cameras as far as video is concerned is the Magic Lantern software. It can really open up a lot of extra features. The raw video function is pretty interesting.

Here is something to consider also. The Sony lens selection for the new E mount full frames are still in their infancy and what is available is no bargain that is for sure. There isnt a ton of cheaper third party lenses out yet for that system which makes it even harder. That's the main reason I didn't make the switch, as tempting as it was. Sure you can use an adapter and even use other lens but then what you lost in size and weight is just made up with the adapter. Plus there is loss in focus speed and fstops. How much video do you do in low light, minus HHN? You can always look into some sort of lighting for your camera, a lot of options in that department that wont break the bank

If money is an issue here is what I would do
Stick with the Canon, get the 80D and then maybe lens or 2, would still come in cheaper than just the Sony body alone.

If money wasnt so much an issue
I would consider even a Canon FF, you're looking for better low light performance and that should give you a little bump up in low light shooting. You would need to figure out which lenses you have now that would be compatible with a Canon FF to see what you would need to get rid of. 5D Mark III perhaps? Another option is the 6D which is FF and about the same cost as the 80D

If money was no problem then all in with the Sony lol. I want to get the new A99II but right now its more than i want to spend and making the jump to the A7 put me in the same spot you are in. Go price out the A7 you want and all the glass you'll need, its insane.

I know carrying around more isnt something you really want to do but another options is getting a separate dedicated video camera that shoots great in low low light. You can probably swing that plus the 80D and a lens and still be cheaper than just the Sony body lol

Full frame is sexy - but after seeing everything (reviews and comments), I think the 80D is great for both video and photos compared to the ones you mentioned. The a7Rii is sexy as all hell though but the battery life has me worried a bit - as well as the fact that I'm really comfortable with Canon. It's just a matter now do I go all in with Sony, or save half. :lol:

The a7Rii is sexy as all hell though but the battery life has me worried a bit
You can just get a battery grip. It will double your battery life and makes for much quicker changes. I have several of these for my Rebels and never ever have to worry about battery life.

Full frame is sexy - but after seeing everything (reviews and comments), I think the 80D is great for both video and photos compared to the ones you mentioned. The a7Rii is sexy as all hell though but the battery life has me worried a bit - as well as the fact that I'm really comfortable with Canon. It's just a matter now do I go all in with Sony, or save half. :lol:

Save half and get merch. Not that I am selfish or anything, no, not hardly by half....

You can just get a battery grip. It will double your battery life and makes for much quicker changes. I have several of these for my Rebels and never ever have to worry about battery life.

Sony battery with the grip is still pretty rough. It's about 290 shots per battery so I would just double that - sooooo :lol:

That's crazy. I love the cheap Wasabi batteries from Amazon, just get a whole bunch of those I guess.

Yeah, that would be the option if I chose Sony. Due to the size of the cam, and all the electronic features, it drains it fast. The cam comes with 2 already since they know its battery life is weak.

Sony battery with the grip is still pretty rough. It's about 290 shots per battery so I would just double that - sooooo :lol:

Im not a fan of the grips due to added size and weigh but can comment on the battery life since the A99 is not know for its outstanding battery life as well. First thing I bought was aftermarket batteries on Amazon like you guys mentioned above, got 3 extra and a battery charger and was super cheap, less than $15 a battery. I would much rather carry around a few extra batteries than the grip and batteries. Ive had no problems with the aftermarket batteries hold a charge. I do make sure I throw them on the charger a night or so before i head up to Orlando just to make sure they are charged. I don't think there has ever been a day of shooting where I have gone thru all the batteries, id say a full day at the parks one for sure and then maybe a second. HHN days and nights maybe 3 but I know I have never needed to count on the 4th one.

Decided to go with the 80D. I was so close to pulling the trigger on the a7rii but at end of day couldn't easily swallow spending an extra $2-2,500. Thanks for the input!

Congrats!

I think you made the right choice as I am sure you can put that kind of coin to better use! Sorry I did not have any advice before you made your decision, but I think my advice would be kind of soft in that the pros I saw where the cost difference, the idea that you already have compatible lenses, and that you are already comfortable with Cannon equipment.

I do have a 70D, but I do not take my photography seriously enough, anyway, I do like my 70 D over the Rebel series and I really like the STM (I think that is what they are called) lenses, but I have never used them in video mode.

So I figured I would make use of this thread for some advice. My end goal is to get a tilt shift lens. I currently use crop sensor cameras and would need to upgrade to full frame to make this work. If money were no issue I would probably get a Sony A7R, Canon 17mm TS and adapter and be good to go. However as much as I would like to move to the Sony A7 line, I'm considering doing this in steps and buying a Canon full frame now with standard wide angle lens then the tilt shift sometime in the near future. This has the added benefit of every EF lens I get is obviously compatible with my crop sensor cameras, which I would keep as back ups. This seems like the best and smoothest path to take, but I'm curious if there may be other options I might have overlooked.