Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cedar Point

Part 4 (Final). Other rides, food and final thoughts.

For a Amusement Park that has so many coasters, it's impressive CP has a ton of different flat rides to bolster their roster. It makes for a pretty well balanced park, not to mention it's got some unique rides in the bunch as well. One of which was just added!

Snake River Expedition - New for this year is a family boat ride that takes a stab with some theming, story and other little surprises. I'm keeping this review pretty short and simple since it's probably best going in blind or with low expectations. My friend and I honestly though it was a cute addition, it's definitely a great family experience with some wonderfully corny and charming touches to it.

Another unique ride which I really enjoyed and is a bit of a classic at the park is Cedar Downs, which takes the carousel and cranks it up a tad in the speed department. (If the wrong name for a Carousel is "Horse Tornado", Cedar Downs is the F5/Finger of God of Horse Tornados.) I really enjoyed that ride and was pleasantly surprised the horses "Race" throughout the ride. It's got a lot of classic charm to it and I'm glad Cedar Point keeps it running in good condition!

As for food, Cedar Point does have a pretty nice selection. Since I was really busy riding everything for the first time I didn't eat too much, but I did go to Hugo's and had some nice pasta, went down to Melt and had The Dude Abides which was quite tasty, and later on I went to the French Quarter Confections for some Funnel Cake Fries topped with chocolate, caramel and chocolate chips. Definitely liked all that I tried, and I wouldn't mind hitting up more places next time I there.

Oh yes, I almost forgot!

So operation-wise, earlier this season the park was doing a not-so-fond choice of closing the lines early so they'd be fully done when the park officially closes. (So closing Steel Vengeance's line 30+ minutes before park close etc.)

I do believe they've done away with that since I recall closing the first night at Valravn and people were still getting in line right around park close, and Sunday night we exited Steel Vengeance around 9:48 and the line was still open, and it most certainly didn't have a 12 minute or under wait.

------

So for my final thoughts, I was really impressed by Cedar Point. It's hailed as one of the best Amusement Parks for very good reasons. It's got a ton of great coasters and rides in a wonderful setting, tons of live entertainment abound, good food, a really nice onsite hotel in the form of Hotel Breakers, really good ops and it all makes for a very fun weekend getaway. Not bad at all for a place that's celebrating 150 years!

I do hope to return again soon, t'was a great weekend with a good friend, and hopefully we'll have even more locals with us next time!
-Tobias

Last edited:

Ehb-dZhXgAA2w5F.jpg

This video is uber cheese and I'm living for it

Now, as far as what's coming...I think people are in for quite a shock...and not the good kind

Like not the Gerstlauer/RMC T-Rex kind

___

To add

Gerstlauer announced they are building that record breaking coaster in Glenwood Caverns...not Cedar Point (as heavily rumored). Cedar Fair had negative income for Q2 (but positive revenue) I'm starting to think WT closing is cost cutting, and it will just be relocated for a cheap addition..

Last edited:
Top Thrill Dragster fanboys will cry. This is a very fun and thrilling ride but so short.

“But….but….Cedar Fair will work with Intamin again someday!”

If there was any remote shot of CF ever doing anything with Intamin ever again, this probably killed it. I would imagine this only ripped open old wounds with Intamin.

If there was any remote shot of CF ever doing anything with Intamin ever again, this probably killed it. I would imagine this only ripped open old wounds with Intamin.

Haven't they basically burnt bridges with SF as well?

Yeah, I was hoping that they would repair the relationship and CF add an Intamin Blitz but I doubt it now. To me, TTD represents one of those "We can do it but should we do it?" moments. It is a big-time jolt of adrenaline on that launch but the ride is over before you can even register what happened.

After VertiGo collapsed due to poor winter they said they'd never work with S&S again. Then SkyHawk opened. If there was a bullet in Intamin it wasn't due to this, it was the unmitigated disaster that was Shoot the Rapids. But never say never.

Interesting to see what the state inspection found: Dragster given repair list

"The report — which is dated Feb. 17, but it's unclear when the inspection actually occurred — listed a series of deficiencies found on the ride. These include:

• Multiple loose bolts in fixed brake fins and brake framework.

• Suspected damage to brake assembly.

• Multiple bolts found to be of different or improper grade.

• Several mechanical issues with the train cars, including a missing bolt on one, a missing bracket on another, and a loose bracket on a third.

According to the inspection report, the "Stop Operation Order" imposed by the state will not be lifted until these repairs are made and the ride is considered "compliant." The report does not list any deadline by which the park must complete those repairs."

Interesting to see what the state inspection found: Dragster given repair list

"The report — which is dated Feb. 17, but it's unclear when the inspection actually occurred — listed a series of deficiencies found on the ride. These include:

• Multiple loose bolts in fixed brake fins and brake framework.

• Suspected damage to brake assembly.

• Multiple bolts found to be of different or improper grade.

• Several mechanical issues with the train cars, including a missing bolt on one, a missing bracket on another, and a loose bracket on a third.

According to the inspection report, the "Stop Operation Order" imposed by the state will not be lifted until these repairs are made and the ride is considered "compliant." The report does not list any deadline by which the park must complete those repairs."

Doesn't sound like Intamin's fault but maybe some less than stellar maintenance. Even so, I really wonder if they will reopen this coaster. On one hand, it's too expensive of an investment to just shelve, especially if you can get it running again. On the other hand, it has had a questionable history and not a great press situation. Very curious situation.

I know the number I had heard from Great Adventure was it cost $5 million a year to keep Kingda Ka running. If that's true I'd guess Dragster costs as much or more, so they could decide to pull the plug on it.

I know the number I had heard from Great Adventure was it cost $5 million a year to keep Kingda Ka running. If that's true I'd guess Dragster costs as much or more, so they could decide to pull the plug on it.
I get it, people like it, but it takes up a chunk in the middle of the park that could be utilized better

Removing Dragster would give them some interesting space for future development

Untitled-1.jpg

Doesn't sound like Intamin's fault but maybe some less than stellar maintenance. Even so, I really wonder if they will reopen this coaster. On one hand, it's too expensive of an investment to just shelve, especially if you can get it running again. On the other hand, it has had a questionable history and not a great press situation. Very curious situation.

I think it's still Intamin's fault. The state found CP not a fault because I think Intamin's PM program for the ride probably was not comprehensive enough this late in its lifespan.

I get it, people like it, but it takes up a chunk in the middle of the park that could be utilized better

Removing Dragster would give them some interesting space for future development

View attachment 15965

Gemini's removal has long been rumored too, that opens up a VERY LARGE area in the middle of the park for something.

Gemini's removal has long been rumored too, that opens up a VERY LARGE area in the middle of the park for something.
Yes, ironically I remember it being on the chopping block for Dragster, so they've definitely tossed the idea around

As far as Dragster being replaced, I'm not sure how much of draw that specific ride is anymore

I mean, when you have Steel Vengeance in your park (a far better ride experience and reliability) being the 2nd tallest coaster in the world doesn't really mean much lol

Putting this here as it is present to take account of, Top Thrill Dragster has been removed from park merchandise for this coming season, it seems.

Additionally, Screamscape is hearing that parts and materials from TTD are rumored to be going to KBF.

That would suck... and be totally unacceptable for CP. We've lost over half a dozen rides, including TWO HUGE COASTERS, for nothing.