Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CentFL Coaster Binge

Jul 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
While Central Florida has long been know as The Theme Park Capital of America, it's no secret that there was a surprising lack of good coasters. It was basically Hulk, DD, Kraken, Kumba, and Montu spread over 8 parks until there was a mini binge 06-08 with Everest, Sheikra, and HRRR. But since 2011 the parks have been on a major coaster building binge.

2011 BGT Cheetah Hunt, Intamin Blitz.
2012 SWO Manta, B&M Flyer
2013 FSA White Lightening, GCI Wood Out and Back
2013 FSA Freedom Flyer, Vekoma Family Inverted
2014 MK 7DMT, Vekoma Custom Family
2014 USF Gringott's, Intamin Custom Spinner.
2016 SWO Mako, B&M Hyper
2016 BGT Cobra's Curse, Mack Family Spinner
2017 FSK Mind Blower, Gravity Group Looping Woodie.
2018 DHS Slinky Dog Dash, Mack Family Launch
2019 IOA Hagrid's, Intamin Custom Motorbike
2019 BGT Tigris, Premier Sky Rocket II
2021 IOA Velocicoaster, Intamin Blitz
2022 SWO Ice Breaker, Premier Launch
2022 BGT Iron Gwazi, RMC Hybrid
2022 Epcot GotG:CW, Vekoma Custom Spinner
2022? Mk Tron, Vekoma Motorbike
2023 SWO High Surf?, B&M Surf Coaster

That's a pretty impressive run. And let's not forget the 3-4 coasters coming to Epic in 2025.

So my question is, is Orlando/CentFL shaking it's reputation of not having any good coasters?

Last edited:
I’m not the MOST experienced roller coaster rider but have hit a lot of the big parks in the US (Cedar Point, a handful of Six Flags, most of the old Paramount parks, etc), and a couple in Europe, and I’d say Velocicoaster is the best roller coaster I’ve ever been on. And I’ve heard amazing things about Iron Gwazi too—that alone has got to push Florida up in a lot of people’s rankings.

Until Orlando gets a 300+ giga, the enthusiasts will continue to complain.

Central Florida already has the best collection of B&Ms and Intamin products.

I mean, central Florida already has three coasters that seem to end up on a lot of top 10 lists (Mako, VelociCoaster, and Iron Gwazi). Ive been on two of them and they're both on my top 10. VC being number three currently with Steel Vengeance and Lightning Rod being one and two for me. I imagine once I *hopefully* get on Iron Gwazi this Fall that it will be in my top 10 at the very least.

Going from having a bunch of "meh" or good coasters to having three top-tier coasters in six years is pretty stinkin' good to me. Compare that to SoCal where the one coaster that still remains on my top 10 list which is Twisted Colossus keeps going further back on my top 10 the more coasters I ride. Once Epic Universe opens and Busch Gardens *eventually* *hopefully* builds that giga coaster, Central Florida will be set!

I mean, central Florida already has three coasters that seem to end up on a lot of top 10 lists (Mako, VelociCoaster, and Iron Gwazi). Ive been on two of them and they're both on my top 10. VC being number three currently with Steel Vengeance and Lightning Rod being one and two for me. I imagine once I *hopefully* get on Iron Gwazi this Fall that it will be in my top 10 at the very least.

Going from having a bunch of "meh" or good coasters to having three top-tier coasters in six years is pretty stinkin' good to me. Compare that to SoCal where the one coaster that still remains on my top 10 list which is Twisted Colossus keeps going further back on my top 10 the more coasters I ride. Once Epic Universe opens and Busch Gardens *eventually* *hopefully* builds that giga coaster, Central Florida will be set!
That last part is exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread. If BGT got that 7500' long, 355' tall, 100 mph B&M Giga that was rumored for Knott's, that would really put CentFL on the coaster map.

IMO, CFL has never really had a Coaster problem at least since the 90’s (assuming you’re willing to count BGT as Tampa).

The only rough parts happen when you don’t count Tampa (which most don’t), and because the coasters are diluted with family attractions. At say Cedar Point or Six Flags Magic Mountain, the coasters are the star. In Orlando, they’ve never really been the focus, even though great coasters like Dragons, Manta, and even some of Disney’s like Everest have existed, they just were not the priority.

While Central Florida has long been know as The Theme Park Capital of America, it's no secret that there was a surprising lack of good coasters. It was basically Hulk, DD, Kraken, Kumba, and Montu spread over 8 parks until there was a mini binge 06-08 with Everest, Sheikra, and HRRR. But since 2011 the parks have been on a major coaster building binge.

2011 BGT Cheetah Hunt, Intamin Blitz.
2012 SWO Manta, B&M Flyer
2013 FSA White Lightening, GCI Wood Out and Back
2013 FSA Freedom Flyer, Vekoma Family Inverted
2014 MK 7DMT, Vekoma Custom Family
2014 USF Gringott's, Intamin Custom Spinner.
2016 SWO Mako, B&M Hyper
2016 BGT Cobra's Curse, Mack Family Spinner
2017 FSK Mind Blower, Gravity Group Looping Woodie.
2018 DHS Slinky Dog Dash, Mack Family Launch
2019 IOA Hagrid's, Intamin Custom Motorbike
2019 BGT Tigris, Premier Sky Rocket II
2021 IOA Velocicoaster, Intamin Blitz
2022 SWO Ice Breaker, Premier Launch
2022 BGT Iron Gwazi, RMC Hybrid
2022 Epcot GotG:CW, Vekoma Custom Spinner
2022? Mk Tron, Vekoma Motorbike
2023 SWO High Surf?, B&M Surf Coaster

That's a pretty impressive run. And let's not forget the 3-4 coasters coming to Epic in 2025.

So my question is, is Orlando/CentFL shaking it's reputation of not having any good coasters?
Florida always had coasters that were better than a lot of their counterparts elsewhere.

There were less than other states, sure, but the intentionality behind each one of them far outweighed the number

Take how Montu is designed versus Raptor as Cedar Point or Kraken vs. Scream at Six Flags Magic Mountain

The Florida versions of many coasters have always greatly exceeded the "coaster capitals" and "enthusiast dream states"

Fast forward to now and Florida is now gaining in number.

BGT could easily become the new Coaster Capital of the USA, Universal continues to push high speed coasters with impressive theme, Disney innovates with custom design a lot, and SeaWorld continues to flesh out its park with unique offerings.

I think Florida and Virginia should be on everyone's radar, Florida especially

I'll go ahead and drop the controversial statement...Cedar Point is fun, but beyond Steeve, Maverick, and maybe Magnum, I was kind of meh on everything else

I’m not the MOST experienced roller coaster rider but have hit a lot of the big parks in the US (Cedar Point, a handful of Six Flags, most of the old Paramount parks, etc), and a couple in Europe, and I’d say Velocicoaster is the best roller coaster I’ve ever been on. And I’ve heard amazing things about Iron Gwazi too—that alone has got to push Florida up in a lot of people’s rankings.
I keep hearing such good things about Velocicoaster. It was one of the few I wasn't able to ride on my last trip unfortunately. Was it a smooth ride then? I love coasters but some of them give me a headache.

Florida always had coasters that were better than a lot of their counterparts elsewhere.

There were less than other states, sure, but the intentionality behind each one of them far outweighed the number

Take how Montu is designed versus Raptor as Cedar Point or Kraken vs. Scream at Six Flags Magic Mountain

The Florida versions of many coasters have always greatly exceeded the "coaster capitals" and "enthusiast dream states"

BGT could easily become the new Coaster Capital of the USA, Universal continues to push high speed coasters with impressive theme, Disney innovates with custom design a lot, and SeaWorld continues to flesh out its park with unique offerings.

I'll go ahead and drop the controversial statement...Cedar Point is fun, but beyond Steeve, Maverick, and maybe Magnum, I was kind of meh on everything else

I know everyone likes to crap on B&M but it's important to remember that at the time many of the FL ones were built (re: the 90s), their coasters really were considered some of the best.

That's the nice thing about the roller coaster--it's a form of entertainment that continuously lends itself to getting better with time!

I know everyone likes to crap on B&M but it's important to remember that at the time many of the FL ones were built (re: the 90s), their coasters really were considered some of the best.

That's the nice thing about the roller coaster--it's a form of entertainment that continuously lends itself to getting better with time!
Since when do people like to crap on B&M?

I agree with you on Cedar Point.

Every time someone complains about B&M I remind them that it's the parks to blame for "cookie cutter" or "forceless", not B&M.

They will build whatever a park asks for, the problem is so many are just ordered as clones or are unimaginative in design because that's what the park (usually Six Flags) ask for. Their custom designs are all top coasters in their category.

I keep hearing such good things about Velocicoaster. It was one of the few I wasn't able to ride on my last trip unfortunately. Was it a smooth ride then? I love coasters but some of them give me a headache.

Yeah, insanely smooth. I mean, it whips you around a bit by design but there’s no rattle on the track or anything like that. It’s on par with Hagrid’s, second in smoothness only to Guardians.

Every time someone complains about B&M I remind them that it's the parks to blame for "cookie cutter" or "forceless", not B&M.

They will build whatever a park asks for, the problem is so many are just ordered as clones or are unimaginative in design because that's what the park (usually Six Flags) ask for. Their custom designs are all top coasters in their category.
I mean the Invert clones are actually great and they built like one prototype Wing Coaster that was a bit tame and everyone started b*tching

The forceless one really makes me laugh, because it's so untrue

Don't believe me? Go ride Velocicoaster and then immediately go hop on Hulk

The hypers/gigas are a bit more floaty, sure, but one with the intensity of Kumba would not be very fun imo

I mean the Invert clones are actually great and they built like one prototype Wing Coaster that was a bit tame and everyone started b*tching

The forceless one really makes me laugh, because it's so untrue

Don't believe me? Go ride Velocicoaster and then immediately go hop on Hulk

The hypers/gigas are a bit more floaty, sure, but one with the intensity of Kumba would not be very fun imo

Veloci, Mako and Montu are roughly dead heat for me. IG is at least as good as them, but I haven't quite decided if it's better yet. Hope I'll get back down there in the fall to decide!