CityWalk Expansion | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Which new venue are you looking forward to?

• Total voters
that sounds awesome i thought it was more Cancun grill which im not too keen on but roccos tacos is pretty awesome. Thanks dude

Here's pic from this weekend of the new Starbucks, Coldstone, and construction around CityWalk

_MG_7615_zps29736f09.jpg

_MG_7614_zpse715d278.jpg

_MG_7613_zpsf04f7860.jpg

_MG_7611_zps2717c85c.jpg

_MG_7610_zpsb8366dff.jpg

_MG_7609_zpsdbd1ef41.jpg

_MG_7608_zpscafc989d.jpg

_MG_7607_zps23dfb390.jpg

_MG_7606_zps6beabcc1.jpg

_MG_7605_zps7179af62.jpg

_MG_7604_zps6d062946.jpg

_MG_7601_zps81d61247.jpg

_MG_7594_zps7c2f0f46.jpg

_MG_7593_zps946fc5a1.jpg

_MG_7592_zpscf01c85c.jpg

_MG_7591_zps777c2f8d.jpg

_MG_7590_zpsbb2cdb30.jpg

_MG_7589_zps8dfb31c9.jpg

_MG_7588_zps840dfa51.jpg

_MG_7657_zps18bcb202.jpg

Also, is this sign new? I don't recall seeing it.

_MG_7673_zps6c2fde75.jpg

Nothing to do with the expansion, but wanted to share this gem:

_MG_7616_zps159e7b0b.jpg

The great thing about Starbucks and Cold Stone is that they are both open very late. I left at midnight last night, they were both still open, and doing great business.

Probably Rocco's Tacos.

This is a really strong comparison, even among Orlando restaurants. Closest "vibe."

- - - Updated - - -

Missed this with St Patrick's festivities, but Save Pleasure Island had some pretty significant rumors re: CityWalk: http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2014/03/breaking-news-groove-closing-total.html

tl;dr version:

Groove closing in April, to be remodeled. Unclear if it will stay a club or become another restaurant.

Online hype aside, Antojitos not doing so great, reintroducing Latin Night (like at Latin Quarter) to make $$.

Also, King Bob raises an interesting point that I didn't realize--parking at the Orlando Eye garage will be free. Potentially raising problems for CityWalk and Pointe Orlando.

Last edited:
Awesome update, BriMan! I'm really excited for Cowfish and to see that new structure going up! :cheers:

BTW, I love the modern rustic/industrial look of Starbucks. This location is perfect, too. The upstairs one was completely out of the way, and EVERYONE goes by this new spot, whether they're coming into or leaving CityWalk. Great decision by UOR to move it down here! :thumbs:

Also, King Bob raises an interesting point that I didn't realize--parking at the Orlando Eye garage will be free. Potentially raising problems for CityWalk and Pointe Orlando.
Parking will be free at the Disney Springs garage as well. It's a great point considering the main focus here seems to be around restaurants. They better hope APs and tourists are buying into this strategy because if i'm just a regular joe, I don't want to spend $16 just so I can get in the gate to eat (and spend more money) when I can park free at other places.

This is a really strong comparison, even among Orlando restaurants. Closest "vibe."

- - - Updated - - -

Missed this with St Patrick's festivities, but Save Pleasure Island had some pretty significant rumors re: CityWalk: http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2014/03/breaking-news-groove-closing-total.html

tl;dr version:

Groove closing in April, to be remodeled. Unclear if it will stay a club or become another restaurant.

Online hype aside, Antojitos not doing so great, reintroducing Latin Night (like at Latin Quarter) to make $$.

You didn't mention the complete refurb and rebranding of Citywalk that they briefly wrote about.

Methinks what's already announced is just the halfway point. Nascar, NBA City, and getting around to refreshing the outdated logo, and then some.... There's work to be done.

Parking will be free at the Disney Springs garage as well. It's a great point considering the main focus here seems to be around restaurants. They better hope APs and tourists are buying into this strategy because if i'm just a regular joe, I don't want to spend $16 just so I can get in the gate to eat (and spend more money) when I can park free at other places.

Agreed--just no market during the day other than tourists (most of whom probably want to eat in a Wizarding World or Springfield). And even at night, there's still a $5 charge--I can see that pushing people to Chuy's at The Eye rather than Antojitos, for example.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't mention the complete refurb and rebranding of Citywalk that they briefly wrote about.

Methinks what's already announced is just the halfway point. Nascar, NBA City, and getting around to refreshing the outdated logo, and then some.... There's work to be done.

True, but I don't see those venues working as anything other than restaurants, based on location. The beauty of original CityWalk--that TDO never understood--was that the upper level served the same purpose as the turnstiles at PI. And again, how many restaurants do you need?

It's great to see all the photo's you guys have been getting the past few weeks. I kind of missed having many photos on the site for a while. It sure livens things up.

My wife and my daughter got some ice cream from Cold Stone before we left (I wasn't in the mood). Anyway, I was surprised there was no tip jar (as that is what typically gets the staff to sing from what I recall of a local one I've been to). So I tried to leave a tip and I was told they could not except it. I then asked if this was a Sing-less Cold Stone...I was told it was not and the staff broke into song...

My wife and my daughter got some ice cream from Cold Stone before we left (I wasn't in the mood). Anyway, I was surprised there was no tip jar (as that is what typically gets the staff to sing from what I recall of a local one I've been to). So I tried to leave a tip and I was told they could not except it. I then asked if this was a Sing-less Cold Stone...I was told it was not and the staff broke into song...

Definitely not songless. I don't know if they've been using them in the soft opening or since it's opened, but they were trained multiple songs and practicing frequently.

Universal (like Disney) doesn't like the idea of tip jars, and like to keep tipped positions to as few as possible. They don't want the guest to feel they have to tip, and accepting tips all over the place comes off like your trying to take even more money from them.

Finally got around to trying Red Oven and was very pleased with the pizza. Easily a solid 9 out of 10 for those scoring at home. I still give Via Napoli a slight edge with a 9-1/2 (would be a 10 if they added more cheese on the pizza but that's just my personal opinion and do realize that's the style of the pizza)

So, before they got the insulation/wall stuff up over the opening where Cowfish is going, it looked like there is structure already in the building for a second (well, third, technically) floor that just hasn't been used. Anyone know/think if that will be utilized with this addition, or will it just still be there, unused?