Classic battle: Ice or Fire? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Classic battle: Ice or Fire?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Which Dragon do you perfer?

• Total voters
Definitely Fire all the way!

I spoke with an employee today who was informed yesterday that the dragons will now be closing in November for the HP switchover. Plenty of time to ride over and over since the lines have been super short since the Rockit opened.

I vote Ice. To me it seems more thrilling and longer, even though apparently they are both the same length :p

I might be biased, though, because Ice on Dueling Dragons is the first coaster I ever rode and it was SO awesome! It was actually the first ride I went on, the first time my family and I went to Universal when I was like 11. And I went alone because I have a family of ... scaredy cats (p*****s...) lol!

Theyw do not have the same stats....being a rollercoaster nerd it is a fact that fire is actually 5 mph faster than ice. And the other reason fire is my fave is the feeling of that first drop on fire is the best part!!

Here is what I think:

Fire: A bit faster, more inversions, more g's
Ice: Smooth, more thrilling, less intense

More me, Fire over Ice

Last edited:
Fire.

Oftentimes it will depend on my mood, but most of the time I prefer Fire. Fire is much more intense, especially the wraparound immelmann. The fact that the coaster has two immelmanns is awesome; it's probably my favorite inversion. The airtime hill over Ice is very awesome too. And the corkscrew finale is intense. I must say the Ice's cobra roll is really cool, but mostly because it comes really close to the castle walls. Otherwise, I'm not a huge fan of cobra rolls on inverts. Hulk's cobra roll is awesome though.

I always thought the representative elements described the coasters well. Fire is intense, raw energy; while Ice is smooth and refreshing yet sharp.

As for theming, it's about a tie for me. The knights frozen to the ceiling were great, but knights welded to the walls are great too. Besides, those rhymes were hilarious. "Sir Egbert of Hessex was quite a man, but burned much faster than he ran." My favorite.

Personally I prefer Ice over Fire because to me it's more forceful and that cobra roll against the castle wall is the most intense inversion (being that it looks like you're going to lose your feet) I have ever experienced.

Ice! Don't have to see a steel wall that is painted a blueish green!!! That wall needs to be taken down and replaced with dilapidated castle wall or at least paint trees on it. It would look so much better! It just ruins the scenery!

If you get motion sickness easily like me, Fire is an obvious choice because there are not as many fast flips, it's more top speed and big drops

While the ice dragon's top speed is not faster than fire, it should be noted that it does have a faster average speed, seeing as how it finishes the same length of track faster than fire.

and as it has been mentioned before: cobra roll + castle wall = awesome

I wonder whether we'll know which of the Hungarian / Chinese will be Fire / Ice when we queue? May just find out when we see which side we're on after boarding I suppose?

I picked Ice, although it's only very slightly over Fire for me :)

Ice! Don't have to see a steel wall that is painted a blueish green!!! That wall needs to be taken down and replaced with dilapidated castle wall or at least paint trees on it. It would look so much better! It just ruins the scenery!

But the huge steel supports don't?

Here is what I think:

Fire: A bit faster, more inversions, more g's
Ice: Smooth, more thrilling, less intense

More me, Fire over Ice

I could be horribly wrong, but I thought they both had 5 inversions. At least, that's what my Dueling Dragons t-shirt says.

They both have 5 inversions, correct. I lean towards fire for the constant speed it keeps up. Ice has more twists close together throughtout its layout so it has to go slower through those elements.

BTW for those fo you citing ice as being more smooth....clearly you have never ridden towards the back rows going through the cobra roll, I imagine it's the same feeling as sitting in a washine machine on heavy load wash, it's that shaky.

Fire.
An Immelman is one of my favorite inversions, and fire has TWO.
I also think it was such a great and original idea putting an airtime hill on an inverted coaster.
Fire also lasts a few seconds longer. While Ice is about to hit the brake run, fire is going through it's last inversion. It's not significant, but I noticed this while riding Ice.

I love Zero G Rolls, but I don't think they are nearly as good on an inverted coaster as they are on a coaster that is above the track (standard or floorless).
Cobra rolls kinda bore me, and I don't like the "snap" at the top, but they do look awesome.

An interesting comment though, I read what Jakemeister said on the first page of this thread and I just though it was funny that I have the exact opposite opinion. I think that Fire is better overall, but that Ice gives a better front row ride. I always go for back row of fire. Fire for me is about intensity, Ice seems to give a better ride that will make you feel like you're flying (near miss with the castle wall, the view while going around the overbank turn)

It's also quite funny that in the poll, the Fire Dragon is blue and the Ice Dragon is red.