Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Coco Ride Coming to Mexico Pavilion?

It never really had a soul. It was a pretensions ride that used storytelling techniques akin to the worst of modern dance to try and convey ideas it's makers barely understood.

El Rio as an experience was ok, but once you understood what it was meant to be and what ideas it was trying to present it obviously became a hot mess and failure at that.

for some reason i dont think coco will be super popular it feels too much like a sequel to the book of life movie.

Book of Life isn't even from Disney/Pixar.

It was a film, that admittedly; was poorly marketed and not shown much in the public eye (which, is ironic considering that the film itself was generally seen as a good film). With it being a Disney/Pixar film; I'd expect to see more marketing come out of the IP for the films success.

That being said, what I could expect to see out of a Coco replacement..is a "Frozen" treatment to it.

All they would be doing if they were to do a Coco "ride" is changing what displays on the screens and adding some scenic elements specific to the IP.

This isnt anything groundbreaking.

They would have to find a way to make a much larger queue.

Like Norway not having to drill new holes outside the building, Mexico is set up for an extended queue. The carts in the plaza shift over, a CM pulses guests to the regular queue and switchbacks by the restaurant, as it jumps the spot at the ride exit and the shop entrance. It goes down the side of the interior and up the ramp on the left, out the side door of the pyramid, switches back and forth on the terrace on that side, then goes down the front steps of the pyramid and along the promenade.

the ride in their now is extremely boring, and pointless. I could see this change being a good thing, although I do worry it could be too popular, and really make the inside crowded.

I can see this working, the inside of the Mexico pavilion already has a very Day of the Dead feel to it.

I think @epcyclopedia may be over simplifying the queue that would be needed for it though. This place is already a cluster now where the only real line is Cava del Tequila, having two major lines is going to be pretty interesting.

I can see this working, the inside of the Mexico pavilion already has a very Day of the Dead feel to it.

I think @epcyclopedia may be over simplifying the queue that would be needed for it though. This place is already a cluster now where the only real line is Cava del Tequila, having two major lines is going to be pretty interesting.
I feel like the shop that is next door may have to go if this happens to open up more room for queue without spilling into the pavilion. The bean counters won't like that idea, but it's really one of the only ways they can achieve any sort of gain in queue space. And a ride like this would be super popular, so just letting people line the pavilion (likely all the way to outside) would be an ops nightmare.

Wasn't The Book of Life based on similar subject matter? I don't think that was much of a hit.

But I do see Disney doing this since it's another overlay, cheaper, easier, obvious, etc.
Wasn't The Book of Life based on similar subject matter? I don't think that was much of a hit.

But I do see Disney doing this since it's another overlay, cheaper, easier, obvious, etc.
It wasn't a huge success, but it was a very good film.

Will Coco have the same success that Frozen did as a movie? Probably not, but who knows. Not sure how big the Frozen queue is, but something of that magnitude should be in Mexico if this happens. Although the potential of this attraction isn't totally deserving of a virtual queue, it's not the worst idea when it comes to space if they decided not to expand it.

I would also like to think that Disney would make the ride better because of guest expectations. At least in the Frozen ballpark in terms of attraction quality.

I don't really know the layout of this building but couldn't they just build an extension to the building?
Eh, the Mexico building takes up pretty much its entire plot unlike other countries, so it would be unlikely. The only place they could technically expand is to the right of the pavilion, behind the Frozen M&G, but the ride is on the opposite side so that wouldn't work.

Over on Magic they’re saying that Coco is supposed to get $75 million for the overlay. Given that that’s what they gave Frozen for the meet and greet, ride extension/retheme, and queue/facade work, I’m optimistic about this, especially since I think Gran Fiesta is going to need less top-to-bottom overhauling within the ride itself to begin with.

The sad part is.. I actually kinda enjoy Gran Fiesta Tour now that they finally added the animatronics to the finale.

But I would love to see what they could do with Coco and $75 million.
Me too. I don't understand the hate for the attraction. I enjoy it more than a few of the Future World E tickets. If they do Coco, I hope they keep some of what's there in the second half of the ride, especially try to incorporate the singing AA's. The boat ride section past San Angel restaurant and the second half of the ride are the best parts. Those early parts with Donald are a little weak since the screens & scenery are a bit sparse there.

The sad part is.. I actually kinda enjoy Gran Fiesta Tour now that they finally added the animatronics to the finale.

That's what bugs me most about this possible overlay. Those AAs will go back into mothballs.

The boat ride section past San Angel restaurant and the second half of the ride are the best parts.

That first section is one of the most atmospheric parts of any WDW attraction. I'm fairly sure that will mostly remain untouched, whether COCO comes or not.

I don't see Coco doing big numbers. I think it will be another "good dinosaur". Most families will see it, but it won't be a film that garners a ton of adult business, or repeat viewings. I mean Moana was fantastic, and that didn't do THAT great either. Frozen set the bar really, really high for future Disney films. At least on a revenue standpoint.