Console Gaming (General) | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Console Gaming (General)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's weird that Redfall was the game to make everyone question Phil Spencer.
I think its the final straw kinda thing

Xbox for years has been promising more and better games.....as someone with an Xbox and Gamepass. It feels like they aren't trying game wise

Gamepass and its cloud tech is great but without games on it to make you use it, it lessons the value. Also listening to the this interview, it feels like Phil has not plan and makes excuses on why making the best games wont change where Xbox is. I'd like someone who at least see's the value in making the best games vs someone who just wants to buy studios because limiting games on other consoles seem to make more sense to them

Xbox has been in a bad place this whole gen and cemented myself as a PlayStation user almost exclusively for console.
Phil even talks about they lost last gen which was the gen where digital became huge and now its even harder to get people to switch consoles.

Phil even talks about they lost last gen which was the gen where digital became huge and now its even harder to get people to switch consoles.
The late PS3 era and into the PS4 era is where I switch from a young, dumb Xbox fanboy and discovered all of the great PS exclusives.

TLOU was the thing to get me to switch and from there others things like GoW, Spider-Man, Horizon, Ghosts of Tsushima, Bloodbourne, Uncharted, etc.

All of that combined with cross-gen games typically performing better last genre and this gen along with Xbox not having many desirable exclusives (and even so, they can be played on PC if you want to play the few they have) so it just makes PlayStation a no-brainer these days.

Reactions: Grabnar
The late PS3 era and into the PS4 era is where I switch from a young, dumb Xbox fanboy and discovered all of the great PS exclusives.

TLOU was the thing to get me to switch and from there others things like GoW, Spider-Man, Horizon, Ghosts of Tsushima, Bloodbourne, Uncharted, etc.

All of that combined with cross-gen games typically performing better last genre and this gen along with Xbox not having many desirable exclusives (and even so, they can be played on PC if you want to play the few they have) so it just makes PlayStation a no-brainer these days.
You also have the innovation of DualSense compared to graphics(?) on the Xbox.

Microsoft has purchased a lot of studios but seems clueless on what to do with them to actually get them to produce games people want to play.

You also have the innovation of DualSense compared to graphics(?) on the Xbox.

Microsoft has purchased a lot of studios but seems clueless on what to do with them to actually get them to produce games people want to play.
Yeah, the dualSense alone is a big thing compared to Xbox’s now basic controller. Something like Quick Resume would be welcomed on PlayStation, but that’s honestly about the only thing I can think that they have over Sony right this gen and games this gen are quick to load anyway.

And yeah, what Microsoft is doing in the console space mirrors what Meta is doing in the VR space. Buying studios does not add value if you don’t produce new GAMES! Meta did that by buying nine VR studios without putting out a single new game and Microsoft has fallen into a trap almost as bad.

So been reading others thoughts on the interview

The thing that bugs me so much is Phil trying to say if Xbox made the best games people would still not move over to the Xbox.....I wish I could ask him then how the heck did the Switch become the number 3 to selling system when its weaker and had no game Library from previous generations

I feel like Xbox has zero passion for gaming and why I'm very happy they didn't get Blizzard

The thing that bugs me so much is Phil trying to say if Xbox made the best games people would still not move over to the Xbox.....I wish I could ask him then how the heck did the Switch become the number 3 to selling system when its weaker and had no game Library from previous generations

I feel like Xbox has zero passion for gaming and why I'm very happy they didn't get Blizzard
Xbox 360 sold way more than PS3. People were willing to switch to PlayStation though for that next gen though. Now a lot was due to a flubbed launch, but it proves that a switch up can be made in who’s on top.

I’ll use whichever console not only has the best hardware/features, but more importantly the best software (I.e. games).

Xbox 360 sold way more than PS3. People were willing to switch to PlayStation though for that next gen though. Now a lot was due to a flubbed launch, but it proves that a switch up can be made in who’s on top.

I’ll use whichever console not only has the best hardware/features, but more importantly the best software (I.e. games).

PS3 Caught up and Sony had to work for that. they started to release games like Uncharted, Last of us, Journey etc

My point is Phil and Xbox need to put the work in, they have had 7+ years of good games but no classic's. High Res was fun but its not going to sell more consoles you need the next Halo of Gears to be the best in the series or make a new IP that is the top of its genre but they seem to have no idea how to manage the games, and I'm hoping they never get ahead of more studios

Reactions: Nick

PS3 Caught up and Sony had to work for that. they started to release games like Uncharted, Last of us, Journey etc

My point is Phil and Xbox need to put the work in, they have had 7+ years of good games but no classic's. High Res was fun but its not going to sell more consoles you need the next Halo of Gears to be the best in the series or make a new IP that is the top of its genre but they seem to have no idea how to manage the games, and I'm hoping they never get ahead of more studios
Oh I agree. They haven’t created a good in house IP in ages.

The Switch success is absolutely insane coming off the Wii U and 3DS but that has a lot to do with Nintendo’s IP that has this kind of pull. The only thing comparable for Microsoft is Halo and since they’ve proven to be completely inept…
Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Out of all the big 3 Microsoft relies the most on third parties, Sony’s in the middle with a mix of first and third, and Nintendo is completely on first with third as a nice bonus when it’s there.

The Switch success is absolutely insane coming off the Wii U and 3DS but that has a lot to do with Nintendo’s IP that has this kind of pull. The only thing comparable for Microsoft is Halo and since they’ve proven to be completely inept…
Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Out of all the big 3 Microsoft relies the most on third parties, Sony’s in the middle with a mix of first and third, and Nintendo is completely on first with third as a nice bonus when it’s there.
Breathe of the Wild while a Zelda game is so modern it just shows what you can do when you have passion behind games

Halo was hugeeeeee when I was growing up and Microsoft has the money to have kept it going strong but has just allowed it to die.

Its just frustrating as an owner of an Xbox to see them make sooooo many excuses when they only have themselves to blame.

Reactions: Mike S
Breathe of the Wild while a Zelda game is so modern it just shows what you can do when you have passion behind games

Halo was hugeeeeee when I was growing up and Microsoft has the money to have kept it going strong but has just allowed it to die.

Its just frustrating as an owner of an Xbox to see them make sooooo many excuses when they only have themselves to blame.
The thing about Halo is I thought the actual campaign for Infinite was actually really good. The multiplayer was where it lacked.

The thing about Halo is I thought the actual campaign for Infinite was actually really good. The multiplayer was where it lacked.
I liked doing side quests at the time but the ending is so boring. Its just boring kill more of the same enemies in boring inside environments. Also story wise doesn't really do much

I still play the MP, mainly because its on gamepass and can play on my phone at work but overall for a game that got delayed for years it feels bare boned.
I hope the next game just feels more Epic and well written, since Reach the Halo series feels like 343 just doesn't care either way about Halo

Nintendo is announcing their earnings tomorrow so we’ll be getting updated sales numbers. Personally I’m looking forward to seeing how many copies Metroid Prime Remastered sold since it was released first on the eShop and stayed on top there for quite a while and was selling out when it came out physically two weeks later as well. I wonder if it could reclaim the series top spot from Metroid Dread.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Nintendo is announcing their earnings tomorrow so we’ll be getting updated sales numbers. Personally I’m looking forward to seeing how many copies Metroid Prime Remastered sold since it was released first on the eShop and stayed on top there for quite a while and was selling out when it came out physically two weeks later as well. I wonder if it could reclaim the series top spot from Metroid Dread.
I am as well, there were articles about how it barely lost to Potter game in the UK when it came physically so must have done pretty well.

I'm also interested to hear if they say anything about the movie coming out and if that had an impact on selling systems and games

I am as well, there were articles about how it barely lost to Potter game in the UK when it came physically so must have done pretty well.

I'm also interested to hear if they say anything about the movie coming out and if that had an impact on selling systems and games
Numbers for Mario sales are going to be a bit skewed since for a while around Mario day (March 10th, Mar10) the major games on the console were discounted and continued to be so until a bit recently on the eShop but I don’t remember exactly until when. I picked up 3D World + Bowser’s Fury for $40 myself since I hadn’t played it since the Wii U and felt like going through again and then playing the new content.

Numbers for Mario sales are going to be a bit skewed since for a while around Mario day (March 10th, Mar10) the major games on the console were discounted and continued to be so until a bit recently on the eShop but I don’t remember exactly until when. I picked up 3D World + Bowser’s Fury for $40 myself since I hadn’t played it since the Wii U and felt like going through again and then playing the new content.
The Extra Game with that is pretty fun, and its also Co op as well. It's gimmick is its all on one map with no loading or anything