Could R.I.P.D. Replace Men In Black: Alien Attack? | Inside Universal Forums

Could R.I.P.D. Replace Men In Black: Alien Attack?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 29, 2012
Port St. Lucie, FL
This is not official, rumored, etc. It's something I thought of and was curious what your opinions to be on this:

In about a week or two from now, Universal Pictures will be releasing their new Summer Action Movie "R.I.P.D." starring Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges. I personally am a huge fan of the Men In Black Ride currently at the Universal Studios. However, there are two negatives against the ride.

1. The property isn't owned by Universal Studios, it's owned by Columbia Pictures.
2. The original MIB movie came out back in 1997.

To me, the trailers look good for "R.I.P.D" and it's a Universal owned property that combines Men In Black with Beetlejuice. If the movie is a success, could Universal potential replace the Men In Black with a ride that could opperate in the same style, with the only change being ghosts instead of aliens?

Thoughts?

It's predicted to earn about $15 million opening weekend, and less than $40 million for its entire (domestic) box office run. In other words, it will largely be forgotten.

Rest in peace department :thumbs:

I'm going with heck no as well. Even though MIB came out so long ago ago the third one just came out and to me it's still relevant and this RIPD looks ridiculously stupid

Ive seriously never heard of this :lol: I have possibly seen a trailer on TV but may not have realized on what it was

This would be the worst thing Universal would have ever done. I'd rather the rumored Smurfs replacing ET thing happen than this, and I REALLY don't want that happening.

It could happen...

But it shouldn't.

I'm planning on seeing RIPD since I liked the graphic novel...but MIB has a much more appeal than RIPD so I honestly don't see it becoming a blockbuster franchise and replacing MIB.

I don't think it'll be a flop. I think it looks great. But, why would it? MIB is still a much stronger franchise and brand, and just had a new sequel last year.

Unless it's a huge success, no. Heck, as big of a Jeff Bridges fan I am, not even he can convince me to see it. We're looking at another John Carter/Battleship/Lone Ranger here.

RIPD is projected to gross $35 million domestic total... no MIB replacement for you!!! :lol: yeah that idea is tied with Smurfs replacing ET for worst possible scenario ever.

I'd rather RIPD get its own attraction next to MIB if they even decide to.

I get that it was a graphic novel, but I'm shocked this film got made... it looks very by the numbers (which I'm guessing is more the issue of shoddy vision/production than the novel itself). It hasn't even made a blip around here, none of my friends have mentioned it or even heard about it when asked (though I'm pleasantly surprised about their buzz/desire to see Pacific Rim). I'd call this one dead on arrival, which is surprising given the star power.

So... yeah, I don't see Men in Black replacement happening. I do wish the Hellboy films had done better - Universal handled Hellboy II (given its continued presence in the Horror Makeup Show Lobby) and that would've been a decent retheme if Uni was looking for something it has an actual stake in.