D23 Expo 2024 - News & Rumors | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

D23 Expo 2024 - News & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What if the sunset is Spaceship Earth?!?!

Tim And Eric Omg GIF
In relooking- I’m wrong and that’s def Big Thunder and not Mount Prometheus.

And for the nerds amongst us, silhouettes are DLP, TDL, DL, MK, HKDL, SDL

It’s actually every disney park in the world, except Epcot, interestingly enough.
DCA, DAK, 6 castle parks (each with their own silhouette), WDSP, DHS, Disneysea.
And cruise ships in the foreground, of course.
Yeah it just looks like they're emphasizing those over the normal castle parks. Outside of Shanghai getting Spider-Man Coaster and MK, the others are going to be ignored.

Trying to sell the parks panel as a "musical celebration of Disney storytelling" feels like an intentional downshift in expectation-setting. I find it very odd. Nobody's tuning in (or attending that panel) for a show; they (and we) are interested in announcements.

And the name is blatant fan-baiting.

Trying to sell the parks panel as a "musical celebration of Disney storytelling" feels like an intentional downshift in expectation-setting. I find it very odd. Nobody's tuning in (or attending that panel) for a show; they (and we) are interested in announcements.

And the name is blatant fan-baiting.
I hear and agree with you, but I think it’s just marketing fluff. I suspect a lot of announcements actually.

I have no doubt, but that makes it stranger that they're trying to sell it as some kind of musical stage performance.
Tbh, Indiana Jones, Encanto, Coco, Moana, Lion King, all have amazing and iconic scores so they may base some announcements off those.

I think the “Horizons” theme is just more about the future vibes. I’m fine playing extra music to make it fun event.

I think these "panels" are going to be more show-like than we've experienced before as it's literally in an arena setting. You have to play up the theatrics a little bit, especially considering the extra effort and ticket price just to be there.

Heard some gossip to expect little to be announced.
I'm similarly less than optimistic - I find it hard to believe that they have anything to announce about BBTM and will instead just announce the BTM refurb and then sort of wave their hands around in the direction of the land behind it.

The thing about the $60B is that 1) it's not actually much of an increase over what they'd normally spend over 10 years and 2) that's for all of Parks & Resorts. It's on the Orlando folks to prove why their ideas are better than Disneyland or Shanghai or Cruise Line or Paris ideas, but the people in charge of that .... well.... re-read my first sentence.

Last edited:
I'm on the belief that Disney has turned the corner when it comes to investment at their parks, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if nothing of significance is announced.

They did have a media conference a few months ago to curb some of the negativity being put out by media outlets w/ lack of investment, so I think Disney knows how critical this D23 is.

I like to think there will be a decent amount of content announced for the parks for one reason: Josh D'amaros ambitions. It's clear he wants to be in the running to succeed Iger as CEO and an underwhelming D23 parks panel would automatically take him out of the running.

Also interesting to note that the panel apparently begins at 7pm Pacific time, which makes it 10pm on the east coast.

I believe these have been in the early/mid afternoon in the past.

I'm similarly less than optimistic - I find it hard to believe that they have anything to announce about BBTM and will instead just announce the BTM refurb and then sort of wave their hands around in the direction of the land behind it.

The thing about the $60B is that 1) it's not actually much of an increase over what they'd normally spend over 10 years and 2) that's for all of Parks & Resorts. It's on the Orlando folks to prove why their ideas are better than Disneyland or Shanghai or Cruise Line or Paris ideas, but the people in charge of that .... well.... re-read my first sentence.
Yes, that's really not much more than the past, and it has lots of places to be spread around. And then, factor in construction cost inflation over various points of those ten years, and the bottom line of new attractions at WDW alone, will probably not be all that more than past periods, and maybe not as much as the TSL/Pandora/GESWL/other new stuff for WDW over a recent span splurge.

Reactions: HandsomePete
If I don't post after August 10th, just know that I've probably been snapped away into dust by Disney alongside the other 12 diehard Dinosaur fans out there. :skull:

It's so weird to be somewhat...hopeful that Disney doesn't announce much of anything at D23 this year? Like, they clearly need to, and I absolutely want them to announce really specific and ambitious plans that they will stick to. But also, can you just be Chapek-era Disney for a little bit longer and leave my sweet girl Carnotaurus alone? Just for this one ride? Pretty please? :eyes::eyes:

If I don't post after August 10th, just know that I've probably been snapped away into dust by Disney alongside the other 12 diehard Dinosaur fans out there. :skull:

It's so weird to be somewhat...hopeful that Disney doesn't announce much of anything at D23 this year? Like, they clearly need to, and I absolutely want them to announce really specific and ambitious plans that they will stick to. But also, can you just be Chapek-era Disney for a little bit longer and leave my sweet girl Carnotaurus alone? Just for this one ride? Pretty please? :eyes::eyes:
I love and respect Dinosaur, it's one of my favorite rides at Animal Kingdom, but for the good of the park it should probably go away in favor of a better ride that, as a new addition, will naturally appeal to more people.

• Angry
Reactions: bdubsCEO
Disney is the only company that could say they are investing 60 billion and have people say that it won't amount to much. Now I understand a lot of that is their own doing and only half of that is apparently going into parks but that is still a huge number. If Disney can't expand massively on 30 billion universal is going to be positioned well and should accelerate their own buildout of new parks since they can apparently do so for less money and charge not a ton less.

Also are the actual leaks terrible this year? I feel like we pretty much knew everything at this point and were hoping to be surprised last d23 and there was nothing extra.

I still say in Orlando universal has a huge cost advantage in not needing a giant transit network and having hotels closer to the parks. I think the purchasing of more land around epic universe will be big long term.

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can look at all the information from the 1TB Disney leak? I get that you probably won’t be allowed to talk about it on here, but WDWMagic is banning discussion on it too and I can’t find a reliable site or Reddit or anything to view all the data.