Dark Universe (Epic Universe) | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Dark Universe (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
How do you know that there’s no turntable projection dome screens? If not what will the experience be like instead?
There are those who know, also both permits and concept art/models in the new videos show the vehicles won't force you to look forward like the benches in FJ do...something that was key for the projection domes as those sections just wouldn't look good if you could freely look around. But with MU, you'll be able to look around freely, so those dome turntables aren't in this ride.

The experience is simply going to be its own thing. A lot of high-tech AA's, set pieces and when screens do come into play, they've got fun uses for them.

I don't think anyone here has suggested Lovecraft wasn't a racist. However... what does that have to do with the Dark Universe material presented today? The Universal Monsters are their own thing, even these new iterations.

I think what they're trying to get at is the Gill-Man of Creature of the Black Lagoon is inspired by the Gillman creature from H.P. Lovecraft's work.

But the thing is, even H.P. Lovecraft fans admit the inspiration and whatnot really isn't there as there's no official confirmation nor any mention of H.P. Lovecraft from anyone who has worked on CftBL.

In fact, the thing that's openly documented is CftBL was inspired by tales from Gabriel Figueroa of the mythical Yacuruna (Half-fish, half-human) in the Amazon.

If Universal's Gill-Man is somehow a nod to H.P. Lovecraft's creature, it's a nod in name only.

One thing they kept hammering in the roaming streetmosphere aspects outside of the characters. Do you really think we gonna get the #hounds roaming telling their stories and the vampire familiars or as well as the violinist? or is that just going to last the first month?

As for the Gill-Man...the story states the Victoria did experiments so the Lovecraftian design may be from experiments she did not just because they wanted to design him like that.

As you witness the results of Victoria’s unnatural experiments, you’ll have to confront a question: who’s really the monster here?

One thing they kept hammering in the roaming streetmosphere aspects outside of the characters. Do you really think we gonna get the #hounds roaming telling their stories and the vampire familiars or as well as the violinist? or is that just going to last the first month?
It’ll all get cut the last minute before it’s added to a boutique hotel behind the park, which also includes the show that was cut and replaced with the coaster.

I mean, what else do we expect?

I think what they're trying to get at is the Gill-Man of Creature of the Black Lagoon is inspired by the Gillman creature from H.P. Lovecraft's work.

But the thing is, even H.P. Lovecraft fans admit the inspiration and whatnot really isn't there as there's no official confirmation nor any mention of H.P. Lovecraft from anyone who has worked on CftBL.

In fact, the thing that's openly documented is CftBL was inspired by tales from Gabriel Figueroa of the mythical Yacuruna (Half-fish, half-human) in the Amazon.

If Universal's Gill-Man is somehow a nod to H.P. Lovecraft's creature, it's a nod in name only.

I assume that's what this is about, but I have no idea why FBarnhill wouldn't just say as much, because it certainly isn't self evident. Some light googling tells me a few unofficial fan sites have pushed the "fun fact" that Creature is inspired by The Deep Ones, but yeah, I can find no official source to corroborate that. No mention of it by the film's writer, directors, or makeup and creature designers. It's a connection someone drew at some point and ran with it. At this point, though, there's nothing to be upset about here.

As for the Gill-Man...the story states the Victoria did experiments so the Lovecraftian design may be from experiments she did not just because they wanted to design him like that.

This surprised me - and while it's an excellent idea in theory, it does concern me a bit. My hope is that these are standalone acting characters whose sole role is to tell stories/interact with guests and not service workers who are forced to "act" without additional pay, like in early Galaxy's Edge. If the park underperforms, I fear these guys will be the first to be cut... but genuinely, here's hoping they're a hit and stay long-term.

I assume that's what this is about, but I have no idea why FBarnhill wouldn't just say as much, because it certainly isn't self evident. Some light googling tells me a few unofficial fan sites have pushed the "fun fact" that Creature is inspired by The Deep Ones, but yeah, I can find no official source to corroborate that. No mention of it by the film's writer, directors, or makeup and creature designers. It's a connection someone drew at some point and ran with it. At this point, though, there's nothing to be upset about here.

Pretty much, at the very core of it all, Universal's Gill-Man is their own. It's not H.P. Lovecraft's. It's a nothing burger to be upset at.

Pretty much, at the very core of it all, Universal's Gill-Man is their own. It's not H.P. Lovecraft's. It's a nothing burger to be upset at.
Totally agree. If you’re going to get upset about something, at least get upset about the still-living book author that is actively profiting from this park.

I highly doubt that H.P. nor J.K’s personal views are reflected by the deeply diverse and talented staff actively working to make this park a success.

This surprised me - and while it's an excellent idea in theory, it does concern me a bit. My hope is that these are standalone acting characters whose sole role is to tell stories/interact with guests and not service workers who are forced to "act" without additional pay, like in early Galaxy's Edge. If the park underperforms, I fear these guys will be the first to be cut... but genuinely, here's hoping they're a hit and stay long-term.
At least the musician who tells stories (awesome concept) would have to be a paid worker right? Can't really ask the cashier to pick up a fiddle.

After reviewing all of the concept art materials, two items jumped out at me:

1. The rendering of the makeup experience in Dr. Pretorius' old lab features a conspicuous amount of jars...
Pretorius.png

Potential for some of Dr. Pretorius' tiny people experiments from BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN to appear? I'd think that would be a pretty easy projection effect:
b891d0ec9c630c2cfd37a92168e468e5.jpg

2. The "Beware of the Moon" artwork before the first launch on Curse of the Werewolf prominently features this wolf/pentagram symbol...
Silver.png

... which is the symbol on Larry Talbot's silver-headed cane in THE WOLF MAN...
f549b-screen-shot-2015-04-04-at-9-30-46-pm.png

Nice touch.