Dark Universe (Epic Universe) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Dark Universe (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not so upset that they changed/updated the design. Many companies have done that with classic characters and have still done the character justice; look at Batman for example (though some versions are not so great, e.g. Shumacher's). But I agree with others that the outfit they chose for him just isn't doing it for me. But not too mad over it.

Everything else looks fantastic.

I think that it is OK to have opinions about the look of these monsters. There is no "winning" of "losing" here....just people voicing their thoughts.....each coming from individual brains based on personal preferences and experiences. Everyone take a deep breath....Dark Universe will be fantastic fun!

I mean, it's obviously a vampire, of course.

But without any context, I maintain very few people would look at that and think "That's specifically Universal's Dracula."
bela-lugosi-dracula-hun-con-1.png

I don't love his hair, either. Reminds me of the Dracula from VAN HELSING!
Yes, there are VERY strong Van Helsing vibes.

Wolfy is great.

Frank is… fine for a modernized version that likely has to be more mobile than the UCM classic, although his face in the rendering looks like he’s having a tricky time in the bathroom.

Drac and Victoria just look designed-by-committee and generic. It’s what I expected because Drac seems to be, for various reasons, the one monster the Uni parks can’t get right. He has none of the elegance or quiet menace of the classic Bela vampire. He also has Superman’s hair. It feels like they were trying to go for a bit of Twilight-esque heartthrob vampire in there. Victoria is just utterly bland - nothing about her reads “Mad.” To be fair, the land is Dark Universe and Drac and Victoria feel like characters from a modern reimagining that fails at the box office.

Land still looks great. It just makes me wish they had found a new location for the Monster Cafe when they built the excellent Minion Cafe.

PS: Other monsters aside, I don’t think that Drac can be easily interpreted as showing “fidelity” to earlier versions, including the book or successful screen versions of the character. I’m not seeing a lot of Bram Stoker, Christopher Lee, Gary Oldman, or Nosferatu in there…

Last edited:
The land is called Dark Universe, not Universal Pictures Classic Monsters land and we are in Darkmoor. I am gonna be more concern with the actual land offerings personally vs what the characters look like. I have seen tons of movies and all the forementioned characters offered different renditions and the world still went around and around.

The land is called Dark Universe, not Universal Pictures Classic Monsters land and we are in Darkmoor. I am gonna be more concern with the actual land offerings personally vs what the characters look like. I have seen tons of movies and all the forementioned characters offered different renditions and the world still went around and around.
sure, but right now we have seen what the characters look like (albeit not in AA form) for the first time, so it's what people are talking about. my sense is that even those most critical about the designs remain very excited to see the land in a little more than a year.

Man, if y'all are upset about how dracula looks just wait until you see a massive box of doom right next to this immaculately themed manor.
IM KIDDING. I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. Concept art for this land above and beyond took my excitement higher than it was. Right now Dark Universe is #1 for me in terms of "must see". Followed closely by HTTYD.

It's not a big deal but...yeah not a fan of dracula new costume

We will see if it sticks or not

sure, but right now we have seen what the characters look like (albeit not in AA form) for the first time, so it's what people are talking about. my sense is that even those most critical about the designs remain very excited to see the land in a little more than a year.
Yea, I think the land over all will almost certainly be my favorite in the park...

I just think the Dracula design does not look like Dracula. It looks like they put "Twilight + Power Rangers" through an AI art filter.

To put it in terms that might matter to Uni - I’m a sucker for classic monster merchandise, but I’m not buying that Drac (or Frank). I am stupid enough to buy other Dark Universe merch, however, so it probably doesn’t matter.

The issues with Drac show one of the reasons why the Creature ride needs to be fast tracked. His design is consistent, recognizable, and (I believe) wholly owned by Universal. Frank and Drac have always been tied very closely to specific actors, which creates problems.

In the original Frankenstein, Henry looks like a normal dude
I'm fascinated to see if they commit to Henry, specifically, being her ancestor in the backstory. "Victoria" is obviously a reference to "Victor" Frankenstein from the novel, but it's Henry Frankenstein in the Universal movies.

I think more than anything I'm just glad that we are actually, legitimately getting a Universal Monsters land in a theme park. I know that that's been known and accepted for years, especially with construction being where it's at now, but I remember having some worries back during 2018-2020 of executives getting antsy about a land based of a set of properties that aren't currently too flashy or mass-appealing and pulling the plug. Especially after the spectacular public failure of the land's original purpose; the cinematic Dark Universe.

I'm really happy to see that after everything the land is publicly revealed, marketed, constructed, and that we are seemingly getting the best version of it that we possibily could've. Incredibly excited for both Monsters Unchained and Wolf Man, and I hope to eventually see that Creature idea take form as well.

...and I wish with all of my heart, that my dear Invisible Man shall be included too. He deserves it!

bce92ad6ccbfb8e5890d87b41a5f9337.gif

And I swear, if any of you make one of those "He's on the ride, you just can't see them!" jokes :skull::skull::skull:

Last edited:
To say I'm excited for this land is a bit of an understatement, a full-blown land dedicated to monsters feels like a blue-sky pipedream, but it's no longer a dream. It's actually happening. And with the main ride rumored to be a Kuka-arm dark ride, a ride system which I feel still has quite a bit of potential? Even better!

As for the current visible redesigns, I'm fine with them. Dracula has been portrayed in many different forms, incarnations, reincarnations, you name it. For me this is par for the course, plain and simple.

Also, when you look at the main ride rumored to be a Kuka-arm darkride, I think it's safe to say that's not going to be an easy going, gentle attraction. It's probably gonna' have a lot of action, and let's face it...that doesn't fit Bella Lugosi's Dracula. Lugosi's was slow, creeping, brooding and so forth. He'd probably be great for a slow omnimover type of ride, but a Kuka-arm just isn't that type of ride. We need a Dracula ready for action, and one who might be moving around quite a bit. The clothing this Dracula has probably fares better with that.

Gonna be honest, the Dracula design didn't even really catch me off guard that much so I'm not sure I really agree with the reaction lol. Outfit looks kinda MCU-y but otherwise I think he looks cool.

I've been thinking and I may be a wee bit premature in my thinking as they will reveal the storyline of the land but isn't Victoria creating these monsters? Like, these are version of the original that she created in the manor right?

I've been thinking and I may be a wee bit premature in my thinking as they will reveal the storyline of the land but isn't Victoria creating these monsters? Like, these are version of the original that she created in the manor right?
I think the gimmick is meant to be more that she's reviving the Monsters that have been dormant/trapped/confined for years.