Dark Universe (Epic Universe) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Dark Universe (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think the gimmick is meant to be more that she's reviving the Monsters that have been dormant/trapped/confined for years.
Ahhh, that explains Dracula's look. Pure logic. Poseidon's Fury closes for good. Darkenon look Dracula appears. .....Old adage....Monsters never really die, they just fade away (for a while) ;) :D Now, if an ancient archeology professor shows up in the land, we know what's happening.

Honestly give him a cape and change his hair to a more widows peak and Dracula is perfect.
It would certainly help!

Monster is cool and wolf man is absolutely perfect.
I'm warming to the Monster (I think my negative gut reaction to him is that it's so identifiable as a real human face that isn't Karloff or any of the other performers who were in that role, so it sort of reads like "just some guy" cosplaying as the Monster), but I really dislike the Wolf Man's nose.

And yes, I'm aware of how absurdly nitpicky that sounds!

I'm warming to the Monster (I think my negative gut reaction to him is that it's so identifiable as a real human face that isn't Karloff or any of the other performers who were in that role, so it sort of reads like "just some guy" cosplaying as the Monster), but I really dislike the Wolf Man's nose.

And yes, I'm aware of how absurdly nitpicky that sounds!
i think the facial expression and angle on the monsters face is weird and cringey lol

• Haha
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
The issues with Drac show one of the reasons why the Creature ride needs to be fast tracked. His design is consistent, recognizable, and (I believe) wholly owned by Universal. Frank and Drac have always been tied very closely to specific actors, which creates problems.
If or when the Creature boat ride does come (and I really hope it does!), I hope they stay more faithful to the original design. I just saw a concept artist's design for the Creature for USJ HHN recently and said to myself, "Thankfully they're keeping the classic designs for Dark Universe". Now after seeing these EU monster designs today, I hope an eventual Creature design will be more faithful than this.
https://x.com/acivicdilemma/status/1751768340971106600?s=20

Reactions: belloq87
I actually really like the designs for the Monsters. The HHN designs definitely lean more towards the horrific side, but I know they can’t lean TOO far in that direction to scare the general audience away.

I like the design for the monsters except for…well Dracula. Feel like they could’ve done better with him.

IMG_9301.jpeg
I mean…look at him. Every time I look at this picture, it’s as if I can hear him say “It’s Morbin time!”

Does ditching the shoulder stuff help? haha Also greyed the hair a bit.

View attachment 20539
Trim that silly lock of hair, and then we're more in the ballpark!

If or when the Creature boat ride does come (and I really hope it does!), I hope they stay more faithful to the original design. I just saw a concept artist's design for the Creature for USJ HHN recently and said to myself, "Thankfully they're keeping the classic designs for Dark Universe". Now after seeing these EU monster designs today, I hope an eventual Creature design will be more faithful than this.
https://x.com/acivicdilemma/status/1751768340971106600?s=20
I can appreciate the attempt... but that's way too radical a departure. I do think whatever the Creature looks like in the land will be more immediately identifiable as the classic look.

I would accept something along the lines of the Stan Winston design for one of the abandoned remake attempts:
174px-Creature_maquette_4.jpg

Facial structure is still the same as the original design, it still has the gills framing the lower sides of the face and neck, and it looks very mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: DodgsonHere
Does ditching the shoulder stuff help? haha Also greyed the hair a bit.

View attachment 20539
I thought it might've been that, but it still feels a little off. Now it's a bit too empty imo.

I agree about the Link Larkin hair droop, that should probably be chopped off. I think if he just had a taller jacket collar then the Bat Wing-shape shoulder pads would meld in better, or if the pads held up a cape or cloak. I understand that a cape would probably suck to work with for someone designing an animatronic though. I'm curious to see what he looks like in-person.

Ultimately, are the designs going to ruin the ride for anyone? I agree with the idea that these designs will probably work best for the dark ride. I still think it'll be a world-class dark ride because of it's technology, scale, and tone. I'm a little bummed this means a new design for Bride (she's my fav), but it's whatever. In my dreams we would've gotten a land directly based on the movies but we have to accept it isn't, and hopefully we'll get more looks and context for these designs when this land has its reveal.

Last edited:
I love the classic monster movies, but updating the look and feel of the monsters and calling the world Dark Universe instead of Classic Monsters (or something similar) should help give the land a chance to have a greater appeal to a wider audience, which in turn should mean it's a more popular land. Which hopefully in turn means it get's an additional attraction down the road. Mostly, I just want a land that's around for the long haul and well taken care of.

And maybe Dracula's triple-layered shoulder pads are adorned with a mini cape in the back. Who knows? Either way, I'm starting to warm up to them.

I like the designs of the monsters except for Dracula who will take some time getting used to. I guess I'm not the only one who took a look at that design and thought of the Joker. lol

The art direction for this land looks seriously amazing though. The entry portal, the facade for the E-ticket, everything just perfectly conveys the right atmosphere.

I like the design for the monsters except for…well Dracula. Feel like they could’ve done better with him.

View attachment 20538
I mean…look at him. Every time I look at this picture, it’s as if I can hear him say “It’s Morbin time!”
I keep thinking how out of place he'll feel if there's an actor walking around the land looking like this. The others wouldn't feel too out of place but this Drac just does feel -off- to me