Disney Springs Discussion | Page 78 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Springs Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Interesting tidbit on Disney Springs, with possible effects on NBA City...

Disney Springs will not allow a "sports bar" because (a) they don't want to attract "the wrong crowd" or (b) they don't want to compete with ESPN Club (could very well be a mix of the two, contradictory as that seems).

Splitsville was built with exactly ONE less TV than ESPN Club, so it wouldn't classify as a sports bar. No idea how you make that same number of TVs cover a 4-story NBA City. General consensus among the groundlings is that NBA will fail harder than it did in CityWalk.
NBA Experience is not going to be a restaurant or bar. It will have a restaurant, yes, but it's main purpose will be as a facility will be far different from it's CityWalk counterpart.

Basically, think Dave & Busters, themed completely to NBA.

Doesn't mean it'll succeed, but it's also not meant to be a Sports Bar at all like you are prognosticating.

I really don't understand the NBA Experience anymore.

If it's meant to be more in line with a Dave and Busters, why brand it with the NBA? Maybe I'm in the minority, but the NBA brand basically assures that I'll never check this place out. I'm just not a big enough basketball fan to use vacation time to check this out.

I'm also possibly the only person in the world who liked the idea of DisneyQuest, so I'm all kinds of weird.

I'll also mention that the timeline to empty out this building before they bulldoze it is pretty fast (yes, you read that right, building is being razed).

Disney is aiming to have most of the arcade games sold of by July 6th. There are CM auctions on the 4th and 6th (after a July 3rd closure) and online ebay auctions. July 12th is the date in which they hope to have all machines picked up by.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'll also mention that the timeline to empty out this building before they bulldoze it is pretty fast (yes, you read that right, building is being razed).

Disney is aiming to have most of the arcade games sold of by July 6th. There are CM auctions on the 4th and 6th (after a July 3rd closure) and online ebay auctions. July 12th is the date in which they hope to have all machines picked up by.

I heard about the auction on the hub--didn't realize I'd have to drive over to DQ and pick it up there! That will be a sight.

Reactions: Nick

Is there an official site for the online auctions or are they just random auctions on eBay?

Starting today (June 29th), Dockside Margaritas (Marketplace) will be "celebrating" Throwback Thursday by selling old Pleasure Island drinks. Of course, they won't tell you in advance when you can get a Kungaloosh or anything, but supposedly the Disney Springs twitter will say day of. This will last until September 28th (every Thursday, of course).

Even once they've finally built over it, they still can't help themselves from selling/tormenting fans on the nostalgia of PI.

Pleasure Island Drinks Available at Disney Springs from June 29

Reactions: Quint
Damn... I'd love to find a CM I could toss a few thousand bucks so they could pick me up a pinball machine or 2- even though they are all in an awful state of disrepair.

I found a brief press release about the Cast Member auction. There's only a 100 games going up for auction (that seems low?) and some machines are expected to go for upwards of 10k.

Who at WDW makes enough money to spend 10k on an arcade machine?!

Reactions: SeventyOne
I found a brief press release about the Cast Member auction. There's only a 100 games going up for auction (that seems low?) and some machines are expected to go for upwards of 10k.

Who at WDW makes enough money to spend 10k on an arcade machine?!
I don't think they are expecting a minimum wage employee to spend $10K.

The people in upper management that work over in Celebration are Cast Members too. They make more than enough to afford this and there has to be at least one geek willing to spend the money among the bunch.

I don't think they are expecting a minimum wage employee to spend $10K.

The people in upper management that work over in Celebration are Cast Members too. They make more than enough to afford this and there has to be at least one geek willing to spend the money among the bunch.
Honestly, I completely forget about that at times. I always think about the people working in the parks.

Even once they've finally built over it, they still can't help themselves from selling/tormenting fans on the nostalgia of PI.

FWIW, the guy who pushed hard to get this through was/is a huge AdvClub fan (full disclosure, he's also a good friend). Does he hope to boost revenue? Of course. But he also loves/respects the old AdvClub fans and wants to give them a fun piece of nostalgia.

Wanted: One Cast Member that trust me enough to buy a couple pinball machines and have me pay them back- come on... its only a few grand ;)
Will give: A hundred bucks and admission to TL's DVC party on the 5th with me :lol:

giphy.gif

Because it's Disney. Do you really expect them to acknowledge Walt like that? ;)
You are right :(, they kick his movie out at the Studios all of the time to plug an overlong spoiler trailer to plug another "Disney" movie. But I actually would pay money to see a real Walt Disney museum and it would make me return to shoppingmall springs.

You are right :(, they kick his movie out at the Studios all of the time to plug an overlong spoiler trailer to plug another "Disney" movie. But I actually would pay money to see a real Walt Disney museum and it would make me return to shoppingmall springs.
Well there is the museum in San Francisco... probably as close as we'll ever get.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
Well there is the museum in San Francisco... probably as close as we'll ever get.
Quick aside, but if you're ever in San Francisco, I highly recommend the Walt Disney Museum. It's incredibly interesting, even if you're not a theme park fan. Tied with SFMoMa as my favorite museum in SF. The museum is in the middle of the Presidio, which always has interesting things happening. Plus, the Presidio is home of LucasArt, if you want to walk around their office park and take pictures with some of the Star Wars statues.