Disneyland Resort | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'll comment on both:

First the dreaded return of MSEP: This situation is so cluttered and confused that I have no idea what to make of it. The evidence from prior seems to be lining up with the one glaring issue that Disney actually commented about Paint the Night saying that there are no plans to transfer it to the Magic Kingdom. PtN is going seasonal at least once as the rumors suggested, when it will return for peak holiday season times in November and December. Then it will be "refurbed" at least while Main Street Electrical Parade comes onboard.

But why? Why does MSEP need to come back to California if Paint the Night is staying? Disneyland couldn't survive without a night parade? They seemed able to prior to this. Granted, they had Fantasmic which won't debut now until June 2017, but it seems awfully egregarious to drag MSEP all the way from Florida, which is not an easy task as the parade is old as dirt, require extremely delicate moving conditions. Paint the Night surely could have been done from a winter refurb for Spring Break crowds, right? Something is not adding up here. Surely this is to do the trade? And if it is, then yeah: lame. But I have a close friend who immediately cheered it on even if it spent the entire last decade at DCA. There are WDW folks on my twitter feed shedding tears about its leaving after six. So it clearly has its fans, and there will be that novelty of it running down Main Street again. The PR says that it's limited time, but how limited? There are so many unanswered questions that it makes me want to scream.

Who does Disney think they are? Universal?!

Anyways, the Eastern Gateway is a great concept and the execution is neat (how weird that you cross the bridge after the security checkpoint?), and it strangely starts the process of bringing one of Walt's wishes to life. He hated those motels across the street on Harbor. Now Disney is finally knocking them down. Those hotels are going to hate the new inconvience caused by the bridge making the location not quite as conivinent as it used to be. (I'm not sure if the crosswalk will be retained) I can see Disney finally buying that land and using it, because Anaheim could really use Disney-owned value hotels. I also think the nearby GardenWalk should be snatched, but I know that DTD itself is itching for a Disney Springs-esque redo so they may be waiting on it.

Reactions: BernardMesa
Looking at the site plan it looks like it might be a longer walk to get to the restaurants across the street on Harbor Blve. This could be an inconvenience for those wanting to save money by eating off property.

Looking at the site plan it looks like it might be a longer walk to get to the restaurants across the street on Harbor Blve. This could be an inconvenience for those wanting to save money by eating off property.

The Harbor cross walk isn't going anywhere, the only difference is that you'll need to now walk around the new 'Disney Cast Drop Off' area to get to the cross walk. It'll be slightly longer but not enough to deter anyone from wanting to eat at Captain Kidd's *BARFfsjskjgjkgks*

The new bridge is only for those who parked at the parking structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, this is Disney's way of giving MSEP a nice goodbye before sending it to the big bunny float farm in the sky.

"Look at the flowers, MSEP."

That's exactly the point isn't it? >:) But I find Disney's food prices more reasonably priced than any of the major parks here. 

If anyone pays attention to WDW MAgic, there's some "insiders on there claiming that a Great Mickey Movie ride using the LPS ride system will replace the Great Movie Ride at DHS and that it may make its way to DCA. What do you guys think?

That's exactly the point isn't it? >:) But I find Disney's food prices more reasonably priced than any of the major parks here. 

If anyone pays attention to WDW MAgic, there's some "insiders on there claiming that a Great Mickey Movie ride using the LPS ride system will replace the Great Movie Ride at DHS and that it may make its way to DCA. What do you guys think?

Hmm, The great movie ride is close to a 70,000 square foot building. The only way they could get that kind of square footage in Hollywood land is if they were to finally combine Muppets/SS17 and surrounding backstage area. Despite what the recent layout of the new transportation might suggest, any immediate projects planned for DCA are within the park's current boundaries.

Disney is going to capitalize on the expansion to the East. Don't expect it to be a long landscaped path. There will be dozens of vendor carts and I'd imagine DCA will lose the Northern portion of Hollywoodland and not gain land as many of you have suggested. There will be a Downtown Disney East and maybe even a small hotel. 

A few notes,

• Disney has reportedly introduced a new AP at Costco, only permitting admission to Disney's California Adventure on select dates, pricing at about 329 Dollars (Source: WDWInfo)
  • From two sources (VashSky {Dre} [1] [2] [3] on Twitter and WDWNT), Fantasmic will come roaring back in 2017 with major enhancements to the show. This includes replacing the famous Peter Pan ship sequence with a brand new sequence, being based off of Pirates of The Carribbean. There would also be as rumored, other new Disney IP's introduced into the show, alongside Pirates; with one in particular being Frozen. The project, aptly titled "Fantasmic 2.0" will be also be bringing a brand new HD Projection System, Lighting Upgrades, and a completely new Sound System for the show itself. Disney has not confirmed or debunked the rumors, so taking it with a bit of salt may be wise for this until proven true.

Thoughts on the new Annual Pass? Are you interested in how much it will sell? Are you hoping for the rumors of Fantasmic! to be true? Comment below.

The California Adventure only pass is the same price as the Southern California Select Pass that gives you access to both parks.

Reactions: Ryan
I heard of Frozen being the only addition awhile back (along with the upgrades), but the Pirates one is new to me and sounds ridiculously stupid. It will look cool, but the show is entirely based in animation and it's not like Peter Pan is an outdated property nobody likes. It will stick out like a sore thumb and I'm not a fan of the idea.

Also lol that DCA pass. Love the place but that's ridiculous.

A few notes,

• Disney has reportedly introduced a new AP at Costco, only permitting admission to Disney's California Adventure on select dates, pricing at about 329 Dollars (Source: WDWInfo)
  • From two sources (VashSky {Dre} [1] [2] [3] on Twitter and WDWNT), Fantasmic will come roaring back in 2017 with major enhancements to the show. This includes replacing the famous Peter Pan ship sequence with a brand new sequence, being based off of Pirates of The Carribbean. There would also be as rumored, other new Disney IP's introduced into the show, alongside Pirates; with one in particular being Frozen. The project, aptly titled "Fantasmic 2.0" will be also be bringing a brand new HD Projection System, Lighting Upgrades, and a completely new Sound System for the show itself. Disney has not confirmed or debunked the rumors, so taking it with a bit of salt may be wise for this until proven true.

Thoughts on the new Annual Pass? Are you interested in how much it will sell? Are you hoping for the rumors of Fantasmic! to be true? Comment below.

I was told about a month or so ago that the new scenes that had been pitched were all classic Disney (renaissance era) and tastefully weaved into the show. Frozen hadn't been talked about apart from at the end of jokes among people working on the show.

With that said, I don't find it hard to conceive that Chaepek could have gotten his hands on the show and started shoe-horning Pirates and Frozen in. If that's the case, it's a VERY recent development and my expectations have been lowered dramatically. Pirates would have the better chance of the two making it into the show since all of the Columbia's rigging and masts are going through stress-testing right now backstage for bigger stunts in Fan 2.0.

Disneyland has revealed that Twilight Zone - Tower of Terror will close on January 2nd,

For the next few months, we invite you – if you dare – for a special celebration of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ leading up to its final check-out on January 2, 2017. The salute kicks off during Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort, September 9 through October 31. The spookiest time of the year is the perfect time to experience this attraction before it checks out of Disney California Adventure park.

During this celebration, the deepest, darkest corner of the imagination will get even darker. Each night, beginning after twilight, Disney California Adventure park guests will be treated to “Late Check-Out.” Experience The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ as you never have before … in complete darkness!

In addition to “Late Check-Out,” guests will find commemorative merchandise as well as special food and beverage items throughout the celebration. You’ll also get the chance to picture yourself “checking out” with a special photo location in front of the Hollywood Tower Hotel marquee, complete with vintage luggage and other nods to the landmark’s story and the glitz and glamor of a bustling young movie town.

Each day during Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort, the Hollywood Tower Hotel will host special performances by Buena Vista Street’s own Silver Lake Sisters. Dolly, Dottie and Ethel Bounds, veterans of the vaudeville circuit known professionally as Fiddler, Fifer & Practical (or the Silver Lake Sisters) performed throughout their glittering career at the rooftop lounge of the famous hotel. The sisters went on to open Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café on Buena Vista Street, where a wall inside the restaurant features photos, posters and memorabilia from their many performances. They will make their return to the Hollywood Tower Hotel to join fans during this farewell tribute.

We’ll have more details to share soon, so keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog for more ways to celebrate The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ before it checks out of Disney California Adventure park on January 2.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/08/check-into-twilight-zone-tower-of-terror-before-it-checks-out-of-disney-california-adventure-park-on-january-2-2017/

Deliberate move. Put in that buffer zone with Halloween Time and then restrict crowds on the final day from the majority of fans so it can close "quietly" along with the holiday tourists crowds who most likely don't even know they're riding the last day. Even though the CMs will be sure to make a note of it in their presentation, it doesn't matter. Disney knows this is an unpopular move spearheaded by the retail-minded guy on top, Paul Press-- err, sorry, Bob Chapek. It's kind of insane on how out of touch he is but hell or high water he's gonna sell those dancing Baby Groot toys!

According to more sources, after Labor Day scaffolding will go up the back and lower sides of ToT to initiate the GotG makeover, which will full move onto the front on January 3rd. In addition to that, the garden queue will be enclosed (which contrary to prior rumors, means actual vertical construction on this thing) and all of it will become a mega queue. The view of Disneyland and DCA from the top will be stripped away in favor of, here it comes: a parallax screen of the (wait for it) GALAXY. Because Guardians of the Galaxy and nobody liked that part anyways, right? Naw. Nobody likes pretty views and people watching from below. They liked poorly square peg/round hole redos of beloved attractions instead of actually making their own ones just across the way in completely unused show buildings!

I hate this.

It's funny because I totally get that, but it's just another reminder about how shoe-horned this is, and the kinetic nature that is being further stripped away from DCA.