Disney's Animal Kingdom (General Discussion) | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Animal Kingdom (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This park needs Moana to take over the Dino area entirely, full boat ride and coaster. Basically copy Frozen over in Shanghai but make it Moana. Would help immensely at this park. Also add another dining location! This park is good but could use another 2-3 E tickets.

I live very close by and last time I was at DAK was probably close to two years ago. I’ve had APs the whole time. Nothing ever is making me specifically want to go to this park. It needs help bad.

This park needs Moana to take over the Dino area entirely, full boat ride and coaster. Basically copy Frozen over in Shanghai but make it Moana. Would help immensely at this park. Also add another dining location! This park is good but could use another 2-3 E tickets.
The park should expand, not replace.

There is no reason Dinosaur needs to go, other than Disney's laziness. It would be a real blow to the park for prehistoric animals to lose their representation there.

The park should expand, not replace.

There is no reason Dinosaur needs to go, other than Disney's laziness. It would be a real blow to the park for prehistoric animals to lose their representation there.
Can I trade you Indy at MK for it to be torn down for a Boat ride a la Frozen Ever After (heavy on AAs) and a Mine Train level family coaster?

Thats where I see this going tbh. At leawt if I were Disney!

Can I trade you Indy at MK for it to be torn down for a Boat ride a la Frozen Ever After (heavy on AAs) and a Mine Train level family coaster?
Not really! :lol:

My opposition is much more philosophical than it is about wanting to maintain the EMV ride system at WDW (though I do think there certainly should be an EMV ride at the resort).

To me, Moana would only be acceptable at Animal Kingdom as an addition (or replacement for now-unused space, like Primeval Whirl's vacant lot) in mini-land form. If we're going to be adding a property that, at best, has minimal thematic relevance to the park (and will already soon be represented at Epcot), it should not come at the expense of the entire area celebrating animals that are name-checked on the dedication plaque.

AK is fine for a few visits. But it has very poor repeatability. You can only do the animal trails so many times, and then they get old. Good park for a one, or two, lifetime trip visitor to WDW, but there's not enough to do if you don't want to do that stuff on repeat visits. After 5 or 6 hrs., we're ready to leave. During our April 10 night WDW trip, we skipped AK....Now though, when we take the grandkids (girls 10 & 11) next June, on their first Disney trip, we'll do AK for sure. They'll love it.

Not really! :lol:

My opposition is much more philosophical than it is about wanting to maintain the EMV ride system at WDW (though I do think there certainly should be an EMV ride at the resort).

To me, Moana would only be acceptable at Animal Kingdom as an addition (or replacement for now-unused space, like Primeval Whirl's vacant lot) in mini-land form. If we're going to be adding a property that, at best, has minimal thematic relevance to the park (and will already soon be represented at Epcot), it should not come at the expense of the entire area celebrating animals that are name-checked on the dedication plaque.
Moana can easily be spun into a pro Climate land and can be Disney’s biggest push ever for an all “green” land with everything they use mostly. I’m not saying it’s right or best option, but this park also doesn’t have a princess, so that would work too.

A full land, not Zootopia, would signifcantly help this park. I’ve mainly always found this park to be the prettiest Zoo ever with 2 rides. I haven’t been to Pandora yet though.

I'm not sure how viable the land is, but there is a TON of space behind Expedition Everest that could be expanded into. I'd definitely agree that it needs expansion rather than taking things away/replacing things.

Not sure where else to post this…I’m in the process of planning a vacation for next summer; for personal reasons, it’s a big one that I’m hoping to go all in on.

I’ve done lots of research, talked to friends, watched YouTube, etc. and come up with four possible options (three of which are planned and budgeted). One of these options is a trip to Africa (specifically Tanzania for a safari at Serengeti National Park). Of each option, it’s the biggest hassle: three planes minimum (one of which being a bush plane to a rural airstrip), and to be safe I’m not not counting on being able to fly anything but economy for what amounts to about 24 hours of travel. There’s also the complications of visas, vaccinations, etc. that the other three options don’t include. It’s also the most expensive option. Because of all of these factors, it ends up being a lower ratio of commute time to destination time than I’d prefer.

However, it is definitely the most unique, stunning, and out-of-my-comfort-zone potential trip, so I’m looking at it from every angle. One is what I’m calling the Animal Kingdom factor: I’ve looked up a few articles/blogs and surprisingly, they all agree that Animal Kingdom basically nails the African safari experience, from the safari ride to the park food to the Animal Kingdom Lodge experience. Obviously, this is kind of concerning because if I want to take the plunge (financially and otherwise) then I don’t want to feel like it’s something I’d have been able to do 10 minutes from my house.

So I decided to come to the theme park community for this specific issue. Has anyone here travelled to Africa, done a safari, etc. and can compare to Animal Kingdom? Anyone from out of state use Animal Kingdom as a proxy for an authentic African experience? Because the travel time/financials are such issues, I’d love to know the trip is worth it or that the park in my backyard is a suitable substitution. Thank you!

I have never been to Africa but family friends did both the trip to Africa with safari and Animal Kingdom and said they were pretty much the same experience.

Take that for what it’s worth!
Wow…that’s 4 for 4 in things I’ve read favorably comparing Animal Kingdom to the real thing.

Thanks for your response!

Not exactly what you’re asking, but my sister has been to Nepal and says that Asia in DAK basically nails it.

Haven’t been to Africa, and while I generally agree that DAK needs more rides, I also think the park doesn’t get enough credit for the ones that it has and view Kilimanjaro Safari as a top 5 WDI creation.