Disney's Animal Kingdom (General Discussion) | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Animal Kingdom (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Eh…Planet of the Apes isn’t about celebrating animals, it’s about faults in humanity. Could fit aesthetically but that would be a really steep departure from the rest of the park’s underlying theme.
To be fair, Countdown to Extinction/Dinosaur doesn't celebrate dinos, it glorifies their demise (while saving Aladar ....err a random Iguanodon)

Pointing out faults in humanity is vital to animal preservation. Hence the old anti-poacher plot for K-Safaris.. Deforestation gimmick of Kali.. Apes would fit in just fine.

Besides, the big blue cat people already broke down the sci-fi barrier..

Reactions: saint.piss
Completely left field guess if we're purely talking about available IP for them to use... Planet Of The Apes area/ride.
I echo a bit of the reservations about its thematic fit... but I love the POTA franchise (including the originals from the '60s/'70s), so I could overlook that. I think you could make it work close enough.

I still think JUNGLE BOOK is an untapped IP, as well. But I also wouldn't be surprised if this hypothetical other project is another attraction for Pandora.

Planet of the Apes doesn't fit (for me) for the same reason Zootopia doesn't. It's an allegory about humanity without much of a naturalist message (at least, not the original series). Other attractions offer critiques of the way humans interact with nature, but our relationship with the planet and the life on it is the major chord. Planet of the Apes doesn't really have any of that.

Separately, I just ... don't want to hang out in that world. It's the same reason I wouldn't be all that interested in a Hunger Games themed area nor an Alien themed area. Not all lands have to be A Good Hang in-universe (the Waterworld miniland seems proof enough of that) but the vibes a Planet of the Apes area would give off are...not for me.

Eh…Planet of the Apes isn’t about celebrating animals, it’s about faults in humanity. Could fit aesthetically but that would be a really steep departure from the rest of the park’s underlying theme.
I honestly don’t think it’d be too much further of a departure than Avatar/Pandora. A big theme of Avatar films is showing how greed lead to the downfall of Earth’s habitability in the franchise and they never seem to learn from it, which is why the humans were mining Pandora for a new home.

I honestly don’t think it’d be too much further of a departure than Avatar/Pandora. A big theme of Avatar films is showing how greed lead to the downfall of Earth’s habitability in the franchise and they never seem to learn from it, which is why the humans were mining Pandora for a new home.
But that message is directly related to environmentalism/naturalism, which is why I think it fits quite well. We've strip-mined Earth and now are looking to colonize other planets (so we can strip-mine them). That's quite a bit different than Planet of the Apes, which deals with taking humanity for granted / nuclear bombs are bad / etc.

I echo a bit of the reservations about its thematic fit... but I love the POTA franchise (including the originals from the '60s/'70s), so I could overlook that. I think you could make it work close enough.

I still think JUNGLE BOOK is an untapped IP, as well. But I also wouldn't be surprised if this hypothetical other project is another attraction for Pandora.
I wouldn’t be surprised at Pandora either. It’s a proven heavyweight box office franchise. Another ride in Pandora I’m not sure is the thing the park needs as much as spreading out crowds throughout the park more.

However, I’d obviously be happy to see the land get a third rid. They have quite a bit of space to work with.

But that message is directly related to environmentalism/naturalism, which is why I think it fits quite well. We've strip-mined Earth and now are looking to colonize other planets (so we can strip-mine them). That's quite a bit different than Planet of the Apes, which deals with taking humanity for granted / nuclear bombs are bad / etc.
Oh I agree Pandora actually fits the park and POTA, well…. doesn’t exactly. But neither does Encanto really! That’s why when @belloq87 said there was a rumor about a second DAK project, I was simply trying to think outside of our typical box of IPs we throw out. Thought PotA would make a interesting discussion.

I still think JUNGLE BOOK is an untapped IP, as well.
It was tapped when the park first opened actually. It had a show- Journey Into The Jungle Book

...unfortunately, they killed it off in 1999 for "Tarzan Rocks!", which eventually was executed for the current surprisingly popular Finding Nemo show.. because sure, an aquatic fish show totally fits in. *sigh*

Jungle Book had a presence, just short-lived due to rollerblading monkeys ....and now fish puppets..

But neither does Encanto really! That’s why when @belloq87 said there was a rumor about a second DAK project, I was simply trying to think outside of our typical box of IPs we throw out.
I assume the relevant IPs are as followed:

Most likely:
The Lion King (maybe the rumored Paris ride, located in the expansion plot to the left of Harambe Village)
The Jungle Book (the previously rumored boat ride located past Maharajah Jungle Trek)
Avatar (third ride in the Pandora expansion pad, either the Banshee walkthrough or new ride rumored for Disneyland)

Less likely:
Moana (would make sense within an Oceanic land, but it's probably going to MK at this point due to its absurd popularity)
Raya and the Last Dragon (technically about an environmental disaster I guess, they'd have to do some work gracefully transitioning from a South Asian to a South East Asian aesthetic).
Planet of the Apes (sometimes about the folly of man's attempts to manipulate nature, sometimes about nuclear annihilation, sometimes about how the human impulse towards violence, and there's never really a happy equilibrium between humanity and nature)
Ice Age (only really animals because they walk on four legs, the direction of those movies is really incoherent)
Rio (Actually has themes of environmental responsibility, but idk if anyone cares about it)
Alien (lol)

I assume the relevant IPs are as followed:

Most likely:
The Lion King (maybe the rumored Paris ride, located in the expansion plot to the left of Harambe Village)
The Jungle Book (the previously rumored boat ride located past Maharajah Jungle Trek)
Avatar (third ride in the Pandora expansion pad, either the Banshee walkthrough or new ride rumored for Disneyland)

Less likely:
Moana (would make sense within an Oceanic land, but it's probably going to MK at this point due to its absurd popularity)
Raya and the Last Dragon (technically about an environmental disaster I guess, they'd have to do some work gracefully transitioning from a South Asian to a South East Asian aesthetic).
Planet of the Apes (sometimes about the folly of man's attempts to manipulate nature, sometimes about nuclear annihilation, sometimes about how the human impulse towards violence, and there's never really a happy equilibrium between humanity and nature)
Ice Age (only really animals because they walk on four legs, the direction of those movies is really incoherent)
Rio (Actually has themes of environmental responsibility, but idk if anyone cares about it)
Alien (lol)
Disney doesn't really acknowledge the existence of the Blue Sky IPs anymore. They did release Ice Age: Scrat Tales as a Disney+ original a few years ago, but word about that was that project was finished before Blue Sky shuttered.

• Sad
Reactions: Wesker69
To be fair, Countdown to Extinction/Dinosaur doesn't celebrate dinos, it glorifies their demise (while saving Aladar ....err a random Iguanodon)

Pointing out faults in humanity is vital to animal preservation. Hence the old anti-poacher plot for K-Safaris.. Deforestation gimmick of Kali.. Apes would fit in just fine.

Besides, the big blue cat people already broke down the sci-fi barrier..

The difference between Apes and Avatar is that in Avatar, the human intervention is the catalyst in the story to promote a naturalist message (like @Jake S said), which involves character/story arcs that emphasize nature and all that.

In Planet of the Apes, the human intervention is the catalyst to promote a more introspective human story in which the arcs are about confronting social issues…the apes aren’t the draw, just the vehicle through which they’re telling a very pessimistic story.

Plus…
Separately, I just ... don't want to hang out in that world. It's the same reason I wouldn't be all that interested in a Hunger Games themed area nor an Alien themed area. Not all lands have to be A Good Hang in-universe (the Waterworld miniland seems proof enough of that) but the vibes a Planet of the Apes area would give off are...not for me.
Hard agree

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Jake S
In Planet of the Apes, the human intervention is the catalyst to promote a more introspective human story in which the arcs are about confronting social issues…the apes aren’t the draw, just the vehicle through which they’re telling a very pessimistic story.
One of the original drafts of the script (adapted from the Very French novel) was written by Rod Serling, which certainly speaks to the satirical/humanist angle that the original series (mostly) followed.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy