Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion) | Page 97 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The Great Movie Ride getting removed would be a huge loss for both Hollywood Studios and WDW as a whole. As a gigantic fan of classic cinema, it's one of my favorite rides. I'm sure a Mickey ride if done well (read: lots of sets and AAs) would be fun, but I can't imagine it being a substantial enough attraction to be housed inside the park's icon; the ride inside there should be the park's grand thesis statement.

Maybe they should just build another Star Wars ride in there then?

In all seriousness, there is no reason Disney couldn't just take out the "out dated" sections, and add new scenes from modern movies. It would be cheaper, and much more efficient. Something Disney is typically a fan of.

I think making another "super family" ride like a Mickey Mouse dark ride is actually a pretty good idea for the park though. It would take some of the burden off toy story, that's for sure.

It is probably more to do with rights and paying out money, if they gut and redo to Mickey they only have the pay out the once and then that's it.

Reactions: SeventyOne
It is probably more to do with rights and paying out money, if they gut and redo to Mickey they only have the pay out the once and then that's it.

That's true, I didn't think of the "rights" issue. Although they could gut it, and make it JUST Disney films too.

An article put out today, written by a "brand strategist" no less... deems Great Movie Ride the worst attraction at Walt Disney World in the high profile Travel and Leisure magazine.

Every Single Ride at Walt Disney World, Ranked | Travel + Leisure
While I certainly can't agree with that, it's also not what it once was and GSAT surveys prove this to be one of the worst rated/received rides across the resort by guests. Others that are extremely low: Ellen, Stitch (worst)... it's no coincidence all of these attractions are being looked at for replacement.

EDIT: I wrote the above before clicking on the actual article and seeing that those three attractions are ranked at 53-51...

Reactions: SeventyOne
Reactions: Ryan
An article put out today, written by a "brand strategist" no less... deems Great Movie Ride the worst attraction at Walt Disney World in the high profile Travel and Leisure magazine.

Every Single Ride at Walt Disney World, Ranked | Travel + Leisure

I know personal taste is subjective, and that's great, but this list is awful. Midway Mania and Soarin' better than Splash Mountain? Seven Dwarfs Mine Train better than Haunted Mansion?! I mean, I like all those rides, but get outta here.

What's your source for this?

Martin over at the ol Magic. Reliable insider.

Edit: also despite being a grim sentiment, Robert Osbourne's death does not help things. It creates an uncomfortable inadvertent tone to the recent version. I think Disney regards GMR as being so ridden with issues and plagued by bad GSAT scores that shuttering it won't be that huge of a difference.

I'm guessing that Disney preps a new BatB show based on the new film to attempt to balance things out. If TSL opens in the spring of 2018, that means the holidays of 2017 will be the only truly rough period. Avoid that park altogether.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick

Edit: also despite being a grim sentiment, Robert Osbourne's death does not help things. It creates an uncomfortable inadvertent tone to the recent version. I think Disney regards GMR as being so ridden with issues and plagued by bad GSAT scores that shuttering it won't be that huge of a difference.

I'm guessing that Disney preps a new BatB show based on the new film to attempt to balance things out. If TSL opens in the spring of 2018, that means the holidays of 2017 will be the only truly rough period. Avoid that park altogether.
The truth of the matter as well is that the attraction runs at half capacity much of the time, even if there is a fairly high posted wait. They don't run as many RVs as they could/should anymore to save on costs so that inflates wait times on a ride that should be a people eater.

And you're right about Robert Osborne. It is a bit of an odd thing to see CMs talking to him as if he's alive. This probably makes TCM more willing to get out of the contract than they were previously.

Last edited:
That article should be it's own thread. They got the bottom half so right, especially the problems with most of Epcot's attractions. :lol:

I know personal taste is subjective, and that's great, but this list is awful. Midway Mania and Soarin' better than Splash Mountain? Seven Dwarfs Mine Train better than Haunted Mansion?! I mean, I like all those rides, but get outta here.
Those three don't even make my personal top 15. I'd rank Soarin' 20th, Toy Story Midway Mania 27th and SDMT 30th.

And I still haven't experienced Frozestrom or either Pandora attraction (can pretty much guarantee SDMT will leave the top 30 once I've experienced this five, TSMM once I've experienced Star Wars Land and the Rat clone)

Reactions: Joel

I just don't understand the hostility aimed at the ride. It was always one of my favorites when I was a kid and although it is showing its age, I would think a ride about the greatest movies of all time would fit the theme. I don't know why they've let the ride suffer without any tlc over the years.

I agree that Robert Osbourne creates an awkward touch but not because of his death (may he rest in peace). I just thought forcing his narration into the ride was like watching a movie with the audio commentary on. It clashes with the CM host. Oh well, I guess if they ride has to go then I won't fight it anymore.

I just don't understand the hostility aimed at the ride. It was always one of my favorites when I was a kid and although it is showing its age, I would think a ride about the greatest movies of all time would fit the theme. I don't know why they've let the ride suffer without any tlc over the years.

I agree that Robert Osbourne creates an awkward touch but not because of his death (may he rest in peace). I just thought forcing his narration into the ride was like watching a movie with the audio commentary on. It clashes with the CM host. Oh well, I guess if they ride has to go then I won't fight it anymore.
Completely agree with you on every point. Honestly, I think it's because of the ride's age. They talk about a lot of classic movies, but that just shows the ride's age.

Reactions: SpyderDan

I do love GMR and all of its Epcot-esque ambition, but it's just sadly dated and many people just don't share that nostalgia.

Reactions: SpyderDan
Not all of it has to be nostalgia. I mean, there's a new Alien film coming out this summer. Another Indy is in the works. The rest of those films will be watched until the end of time. But whatever, Disney can further cut off the park at the knees.

Not all of it has to be nostalgia. I mean, there's a new Alien film coming out this summer. Another Indy is in the works. The rest of those films will be watched until the end of time. But whatever, Disney can further cut off the park at the knees.
It's not whether you have nostalgia for it or not... you may or may not, that's not the point. Most people who ride GMR don't have any nostalgia for this ride and it is consistently one of the lowest rated rides on property by guests.

Add on that Disney has refused to updated the attraction and it's expensive to run and you can see why Disney is eager to slaughter the pig.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Ryan