Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion) | Page 174 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Does anyone know the reasoning for its removal or does Disney just enjoy being spiteful?
Old ride-- why keep advertising? Also, it's the last of those billboards they had on property (Mission Space, It's Tough to be a Bug).

Of course it could be a sign that ToT is about to get a retheme announced. A retheme of ToT and RnR would be a (relatively) quick and easy way of adding "new" attractions to counter Epic Universe for 2025, basically creating some kind of new miniland at that end of the street.

Old ride-- why keep advertising? Also, it's the last of those billboards they had on property (Mission Space, It's Tough to be a Bug).

Of course it could be a sign that ToT is about to get a retheme announced. A retheme of ToT and RnR would be a (relatively) quick and easy way of adding "new" attractions to counter Epic Universe for 2025, basically creating some kind of new miniland at that end of the street.

Unless they use a Star Wars/Marvel IP, there's no way a reskin competes with EU.

I wonder if they are tearing down old signage and marketing now that the digital marketing ribbon board is up and running.

Not compete with as much as offer SOMETHING new to counter. Kind of hard to get people excited about visiting the property with no new attractions.
ReviewTyme did a video the other day that I think sums up where Disney's at. They aren't worried about EU even though they should be.They are letting their arrogance get to them again and they are going to have to learn the hard way (by losing more market share) that they can't keep getting by on name and nostalgia alone.

I think Disney is looking at the prospect of a new park in Orlando and they think that means "the more people that come the better". Sure, they may gain some attendance if EU brings more people to Orlando that wouldn't have come before and then some of them do some days at Disney, but these people are spending most of their time at Universal! These are no longer "Disney families", the ones Disney kept a firm grasp on for 60+ years. These are now families that could grow up as a "Universal Family" meaning when they travel to Orlando, Universal is their main destination they look forward to. Many already exist. Disney is living under a rock if they think they just don't need to do anything or just a few rethemes will cut it.

Now if they announce a few new rides for DAK, and at least one for DHS along with maybe a retheme of RNRC, then now we're talking a bit more. However, none of those attractions will be done in time for 2025, so you'll have to fill that time with creative ways. A retheme of Splash, retheme of RNRC, New parade at MK (preferably an electrical parade), new fireworks at MK, Peter Pan's Flight long-term refurbishment give it some much needed love and update the ride (like DL's), new nighttime show at DAK, etc. I can see (in my dreams likely) that stuff being done from 2024-25 while they work on building attractions at DAK and DHS.

Now if they announce a few new rides for DAK, and at least one for DHS along with maybe a retheme of RNRC, then now we're talking a bit more. However, none of those attractions will be done in time for 2025, so you'll have to fill that time with creative ways. A retheme of Splash, retheme of RNRC, New parade at MK (preferably an electrical parade), new fireworks at MK, Peter Pan's Flight long-term refurbishment give it some much needed love and update the ride (like DL's), new nighttime show at DAK, etc. I can see (in my dreams likely) that stuff being done from 2024-25 while they work on building attractions at DAK and DHS.
I feel like we’ll be lucky to get the Play pavilion by 2024-25 at this point, let alone anything not yet announced.

I just wonder if their strategy is just low cost investment, take in the cash, and have that $ to “respond” and invest in said response to EU. They’re playing the long game I think. I don’t think they like spending $ and won’t unless they utterly must lol

I just wonder if their strategy is just low cost investment, take in the cash, and have that $ to “respond” and invest in said response to EU. They’re playing the long game I think. I don’t think they like spending $ and won’t unless they utterly must lol
Yes they’re playing the long game, as they’re still, and always will be, the biggest player in town/in the world.

They will continue investing in the domestic parks because that’s part of the business, and I feel like we’re about to see new stuff announced again finally, now that they’re catching up on everything the pandemic delayed.

But wouldn’t call it a response to Epic Universe. Not everything is tit for tat, or at least so black and white. We’ll see new stuff announced, and new things open in 2026 and beyond, and people will call it a response to Epic Universe, but if anything, Epic Universe is a response to WDW having 4 theme parks and Universal wants to capture a bit more of their clientele.

I feel like we’ll be lucky to get the Play pavilion by 2024-25 at this point, let alone anything not yet announced.
I mean, closing down RNRC and giving that a retheme really shouldn't be something that takes long if they went that route, even for Disney.

They cancelled a carousel lol
They had to knock down trees, build a building for that, and create a Poppins facade so while it was only a Carousel, I believe it would've been more extensive work than a simple retheme. It's a building that exists, a ride that exists, the queue exists, everything is there. Just gotta change out the theming.

Back in 2012 , Test Track was open until April 14th and the ride reopened with the changes less than eight months later on December 6th. It can be done.

They had to knock down trees, build a building for that, and create a Poppins facade so while it was only a Carousel, I believe it would've been more extensive work than a simple retheme. It's a building that exists, a ride that exists, the queue exists, everything is there. Just gotta change out the theming.

Back in 2012 , Test Track was open until April 14th and the ride reopened with the changes less than eight months later on December 6th. It can be done.
Ya, more extensive but also not much, imo. For the money they make lol

Considering the history of how that update happened, I'd say the speed of that change was more due to GM/Chevrolet being behind the entire project and pushing it.

The construction timeline is an outlier compared to the usual glacial speed Disney normally operates at. Because when a major 3rd-party sponsor wants you to close an attraction down for an upgrade, you best make them happy and do it quick. Not unless you want them playing any more hands you don't want.

Last edited:
It is funny looking back at the hope in this thread in 2012 and talk of Imagineers cleaning up the "muddled mess of a park" and yet here we are and they've ploughed money in and it is actually maybe in a worse state? Don't get me wrong, I am very excited personally to see TSL and SW:GE but I grew up with both IPs. Disney is going to lose some serious grip when EU opens. I say that as someone from a family who has vactioned at disney since I was three years old. My family are shifting more days to Universal with each trip purely because of how hard Disney are now making the experience. Add in to that another park at Universal that is brand new? I honestly can't see any other way this goes. Disney will still retain the custom but I don't think the dedication will remain if they continue. I know a little off topic of DHS but it goes resort wide I feel.