Disney's Toy Box | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Toy Box

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

jtsalien

V.I.P. Member
Mar 9, 2011
T.A.R.D.I.S.
So apparently Disney is interesting in entering the mobile game market, with a rumored partnership from Apple. Recently published patents from Disney cite a device looking similar to a DS with cloud connectivity, GPS, and mobile skyhook location sensing technologies. It seems like augmented reality aspect they're going for will be the kicker:

Disney's patent pending gaming console has a very strong 3D augmented reality slant to it. For example, Disney states that an augmented reality mobile device could capture a series of images of a coffee cup sitting on top of a table, modify the series of images so that the coffee cup appears as an animated cartoon character and display the modified series of images in real-time to a user. As such, when the user looks at the augmented reality device, the user sees an augmented view of the physical real-world environment in which the user is located.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...e-on-a-new-gaming-console-called-toy-box.html

This technology could be very cool, but it would need the right support behind it. If Apple truly is involved, it might be there. But so far, Disney Interactive's failings make this seem insanely risky to me.

EDIT: Also not sure where to place this thread??

Hmm, could be very interesting indeed. If this is like SOTMK at home, or VMK or Epic Mickey for that matter, I'm for it. I mean, I'm writing on a theme park fan message board from a Macbook, so this kind of partnership definitely has me excited.