Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dollywood!

We didn't go on many rides, and I'm ok with that. The train was closed all day, much to our great disappointment. We rode Blazing Fury (cheesy as hell, and I loved it), the carousel, the car/highway ride (don't recall the name), I rode River Battle and got a lot wetter than I expected, and after some extended down time, was able to go on Thunderhead. What a fast, rough ride that was! Not a lot of air time, just a lot of super tight turns, and FAST! Didn't go on any other coasters or rides, just walked around and enjoyed the park.
You didn't ride the wing coaster? That was my favorite... smooth as glass and really gave you the feeling of just flying. It was awesome. And Mystery Mine was cool, if a bit rough at the start.

https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSReports/National Reports/Annual Park Ranking Report (1979 - Last Calendar Year)Just to give you an idea of how big of a tourist draw the region is, the smoky mountain national park is the most visited national park in the country. Yes it is a bigger draw than the grand canyon, in fact by a lot. Dollywood has still under 3 million visitors a year for being a most of the year open park. The growth potential is enormous and I am sure they will build out much more to take advantage of this and have built a lot with that in mind already. I think that with investments in the region and dollywood it will get up there in name recognition they could easily surpass most regional parks, which max out for 2015 at 3.6 million for Canada's wonderland . The fact that they can maintain such a level of in park entertainment at that level of attendance is really remarkable considering they have a good slate of rides now. I think a lot of people who value a well rounded experience would appreciate Dollywood while disney builds the new attractions. I think dollywood is in a position to be the new BGW and more.

https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSReports/National Reports/Annual Park Ranking Report (1979 - Last Calendar Year)Just to give you an idea of how big of a tourist draw the region is, the smoky mountain national park is the most visited national park in the country. Yes it is a bigger draw than the grand canyon, in fact by a lot. Dollywood has still under 3 million visitors a year for being a most of the year open park. The growth potential is enormous and I am sure they will build out much more to take advantage of this and have built a lot with that in mind already. I think that with investments in the region and dollywood it will get up there in name recognition they could easily surpass most regional parks, which max out for 2015 at 3.6 million for Canada's wonderland . The fact that they can maintain such a level of in park entertainment at that level of attendance is really remarkable considering they have a good slate of rides now. I think a lot of people who value a well rounded experience would appreciate Dollywood while disney builds the new attractions. I think dollywood is in a position to be the new BGW and more.
BGW was a great park when the Busch family ran it. Really good entertainment shows and streetmosphere characters. And then the In Bev and Blackstone owners destroyed the park's theme and ambiance. Credo to Dollywood for staying on course and resisting the temptation to trash the live entertainment sector.

BGW was a great park when the Busch family ran it. Really good entertainment shows and streetmosphere characters. And then the In Bev and Blackstone owners destroyed the park's theme and ambiance. Credo to Dollywood for staying on course and resisting the temptation to trash the live entertainment sector.

Speaking of BGW, I like that they added the Musketeers show and wonder if that came from Manby (former head of Dollywood and SDC) since he is used to running such show/local oriented parks?

Speaking of BGW, I like that they added the Musketeers show and wonder if that came from Manby (former head of Dollywood and SDC) since he is used to running such show/local oriented parks?
Maybe. I know they fired the BGW Exec. who slashed all the entertainment previously.

I mean technically most of the modern rides cost Dollywood multiple millions of dollars.

True, but they aren't like the rides here in Orlando, more traditional amusement park rides, instead of theme park rides. There's nothing like Transformers, Pirates, Gringott's, Jungle Cruise, etc. Doesn't make the park any less fun, because I love those traditional kind of parks.

It turns out I will be heading to Dollywood as a side trip for some business for the Christmas event in early December. I noticed hotels are really filling up even for an early weekend. I got a pretty good air bnb deal. I'll let you guys know how it is. They added a night time parade this year I read.

Oh and the Busch Gardens entertainment guy I could tell a few stories about. He was a genuine a-hole. He made performers cry over things that weren't their fault and everyone hated him from the management to passholders. I have no idea how he got into such a position. The dude actively purged any entertainment not attached to his name. Maybe the Blackstone people wanted to hire someone that they knew could be a scapegoat for cuts. Many people were hoping the Dollywood folks would buy Busch Gardens and bring back more quality entertainment.

Dollywood 2017:
New in 2017

New in 2017 at Dollywood
In 2017 Dollywood will offer even more fun for families at our Smoky Mountain destination. With three new attractions and two new special events everyone in the family is sure to find something that makes their day memorable in 2017.

SH_DL.ashx

Drop Line at Dollywood

New in Summer 2017, Drop Line is a 200-foot tall free-fall experience that towers over Timber Canyon and provides an incredible view of the park before its exhilarating finish. The drop tower ride lifts Dollywood guests nearly 20 stories above the Canyon’s pool, before plummeting them back to the ground in a thrilling rush.

[
TN_New17_WPC.ashx

Whistle Punk Chaser at Dollywood

Whistle Punk Chaser, a new junior coaster opening in Summer 2017, throws thrilling twists and turns at Dollywood’s younger loggers, helping prepare them for the day they can join their parents aboard the award-winning Thunderhead wooden coaster.

SH_TSR_Logo.ashx

TailSpin Racer at Dollywood's Splash Country

In 2017 experience the wet and wild twists, turns and thrills of Dollywood’s Splash Country’s newest attraction, TailSpin Racer! From its unique spiraling, high-speed AquaTubes to its splashdown finish, it’s an all-out race to see who can get to the end first.

TN_festival.ashx

New Special Events at Dollywood

Two new events will join our family festivals in 2017. Just in time for families enjoying spring break, the park will introduce enra, a Tokyo-based dance company which was featured on America’s Got Talent in 2015. The group wowed audiences with their high-energy multi-media dance, light and video fusion show.

Also, for the first time ever Dollywood will be opening during the evening in October to welcome the spectacular GREAT Pumpkin LumiNights event alongside the Southern Gospel Jubilee to our Harvest Festival. This nighttime event immerses families in fabulous fall pumpkin illumination.

Whistle Punk Chaser will be a Zamperla Gravity Coaster. Silver Dollar City has one for reference:
https://rcdb.com/3401.htm

It turns out I will be heading to Dollywood as a side trip for some business for the Christmas event in early December. I noticed hotels are really filling up even for an early weekend. I got a pretty good air bnb deal. I'll let you guys know how it is. They added a night time parade this year I read.

Oh and the Busch Gardens entertainment guy I could tell a few stories about. He was a genuine a-hole. He made performers cry over things that weren't their fault and everyone hated him from the management to passholders. I have no idea how he got into such a position. The dude actively purged any entertainment not attached to his name. Maybe the Blackstone people wanted to hire someone that they knew could be a scapegoat for cuts. Many people were hoping the Dollywood folks would buy Busch Gardens and bring back more quality entertainment.
Yeah, I quit going to BGW after he gutted the entertainment and the Blackstone purchase. And that was my " go to" theme park up to that time. Universal Orlando gets the bulk of my money now, plus some to WDW.

I've had flights booked, hotel booked, and park tickets purchased for months now but every time I go on Dollywood.com to do some trip planning, I see a notice that Lightning Rod is closed. Am I even going to be able to ride this thing?

Who knows if lightning rod will be open. I heard they might just be calling it closed even if it opens randomly during the day. It's probably a crap shoot.

I no longer see the note about Lightning Rod being closed on the website anymore at least from my computer. A disappointing note for me is the parade isn't open until the 16th.

The good news is Dollywood has a promotion for a Christmas free with a 2017 season pass. I had assumed their passes were all 12 months from the date of activation. The gold benefits are pretty good. There's a good chance I could bring a few friends or family at some point in the next year.

Yeah, the days I saw it closed on the site were 11/1 and 11/2. Looks like people are having better luck on the weekends.