Dreamwork's The Bad Guys | Inside Universal Forums

Dreamwork's The Bad Guys

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That’s partly because Disney shut down BlueSky, but yes. And things don’t seem to be changing anytime soon for them.

IDK...Illumination helped make all these shorts...

The shorts are made in collaboration with Illumination Labs, a division of the legendary animation powerhouse Illumination, that explores alternative and boundary-pushing short form animated content geared towards an older audience.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonoma15
I'm appreciating the trend of animated films incorporating 2D highlights/effects in various ways, makes for a stylized film I'll take any day over one trying to be hyper realistic.

For what it's worth, the film looks fun as well!

Illumination's the last hold-out still carrying the flag of bland CGI.

I would say WB's "WAG" has been fairly hit or miss, anything outside of their Lego films have been firmly on the bland side (Smallfoot, Scoob), and their upcoming DC League of Super-Pets ain't standing out either, especially the animation.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'm appreciating the trend of animated films incorporating 2D highlights/effects in various ways, makes for a stylized film I'll take any day over one trying to be hyper realistic.

For what it's worth, the film looks fun as well!

I would say WB's "WAG" has been fairly hit or miss, anything outside of their Lego films have been firmly on the bland side (Smallfoot, Scoob), and their upcoming DC League of Super-Pets ain't standing out either, especially the animation.
20th Century Animation up to this point has been pretty high quality, but I think we may start to see a drop in it as it's used more for Disney+ content and basically their new Blue Sky Studios. The new Diary of a Wimpy Kid animated movie was the first of slight misstep, although is still fresh on RT. Every other movie that they've made which include The Simpsons Movie, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Book of Life, and Ron's Gone Wrong, have been critic and audience darlings.

I hate to be this “Omg new IP, how could it be a ride at Universal?!!!” Type post, but, man do I see this as a SLOP style Dark ride soooo easily it’s not even funny. Idk box office or franchise potential cause I’m poor at judging those things, but the concept is right for something like that for both film and theme park potential. Villains are more fun, thus, more chaos!

I hate to be this “Omg new IP, how could it be a ride at Universal?!!!” Type post, but, man do I see this as a SLOP style Dark ride soooo easily it’s not even funny. Idk box office or franchise potential cause I’m poor at judging those things, but the concept is right for something like that for both film and theme park potential. Villains are more fun, thus, more chaos!
At Hollywood they could create an attraction for the DreamWorks theater easily where you have to go on a mission to save the world or stop some other evil plot.

Well this is based on a very very very popular kids book series so I think it would outperform SLOP if they put it in a dark ride form into the park!

images

Last edited:
Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
For a minute there, I thought we were getting an animated version of Reservoir Dogs.

Now that would have gotten me in the theater...

You know what I love the most about this art style?

It's smoothness. I'm not even kidding, the animal and human designs feel very soft and round, extremely smoothed, and it blends in really well for the varying animals represented. As does the human designs!

I'm interested, definitely different than anything else DreamWorks has done (and different enough than Turning Red for the reasons I expressed).

94% RT score.....
They all sound great! Hoping this is a big hit for Dreamworks.

Just got back from seeing this, it's a fun, breezy popcorn flick!

The animation/style is really friggin' good. Once again, I'm very happy more studios are going for more stylized designs with a mix of CGI and 2D animation, it honestly looks great! The whole film has this slick vibe which fits the heist theme perfectly, and it had various nods I didn't expect to see such as a particular one-shot. Which btw, I'm totally down for animated films doing more one-shots, and this one is DW's longest!

Now with it being a heist/bad guys trying to be good, the story's not gonna' change the game or anything, but it knows exactly what it is and has fun with it. There's some really nice character moments, humor and some rather sweet payoff's, too.

All in all, after several years where it feels like Dreamworks has been in kind of a lull, The Bad Guys is a fun ride for them to come back with!