Drinking Around the World? | Inside Universal Forums

Drinking Around the World?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 12, 2009
Florida
Has anyone ever been drinking around the world before? I want to go on my birthday and try it and see if I can make it. What are your suggestions for a starting/ending point or what drinks should be avoided?

I'm really excited about this, but I don't want to walk into it blind and pass out drunk somewhere in the park (that would be bad!).

I did it somewhat on the weekend after I turned 21. My brother had me try:

Strongbow Cider (UK) - Really thought the stuff was awful to tell you the truth.
Canadian beer (Canada) - Didn't care for the stuff.
Rosa Regalla (Italy) - Hated it.
Habibi Daiquiri (Morocco) - Was DELICIOUS. Loved it.
Germany beer - Didn't like it. At all.
Strawberry Margarita (Mexico) - It was good.

If you drink reasonably, Racheal, I think you'll survive. :)

BTT_Racheal, do you drink? Or are you a newbie. The reason I ask, is I have different suggestions depending on your answer. Like in Japan, cold Unfiltered Sake for the experienced drinker and Plum Wine for the newbies. Or in France Grey Goose Slush for the newbies and Peach Grand Marnier for the more "seasoned" of us.

I wouldn't recommend it if you're not a professional drinker :) I most definitley enjoy my drinks and can't stop at every country. Plus, it can get really expensive, REALLY fast. But I have a few suggestions... there's a stand in morroco that sells slushie type drinks, get a watermelon one with rum, yummy!! I think it's called a marrakesh sunset? (Sorry on spelling) careful though, they usually make them strong, and they're so easy to drink quick! margarita's in mexico are tasty, but pass on the salt unless you like a really salty drink. And if you enjoy beer, try the stella artois on tap inside the pub at england. Have fun!!

If you take your time, it is alot of fun. The last time I did it we planned it out in advance with a lunch reservation at 1:00 in England and an 8:00 reservation for dinner at Bistro De Paris. We began with cider at lunch and worked our way around the park clockwise. It's important to have some snacks along the way too or wou, will get too plastered too fast, but we timed it perfectly and had made a full circle at dinner time. Now I have to admit I do not rememeber much about dinner except the next morning when we looked at our receipts we realized we ordered a $75 bottle of wine. We were staying at the boardwalk Villas so we were able to stagger back to the room easily. All in all is was alot of fun, hysterical actually, and we were really hung over the next day! Pay Heed to Dave's warning about knowing if you should go hardcore or not...and most of all Pace Yourself!!!

I've done it a few times... :dance:

I actually had a trip report somewhere from the first time I'll see if I can find. I did it the first time right after I turned 21 and I went with two of my best friends who had also just turned 21. We were well prepared for it and it was not a problem at all. Our plan was to start in Mexico and end in Canada. It does get expensive quickly but it was a lot of fun and it was memorable even for the amount we drank.

Found trip report. http://boards.ioacentral.com/index.php?showtopic=9266&view=findpost&p=152183

Some things you must try are:

1. TsingTao Beer - China
2. Grey Goose or Grande Marnier Slushies - France
3. Sake - Japan
4. Margarita or Tequila shot - Mexico

Start in Mexico and go clockwise. I like this direction because you can end up in the Rose N Crown pub in England (it has a full bar) its much better then starting out at this pub. Also remember in Norway if the line outside at the beerstand is long you can sneak inside the pastry shop and get one.

I drink occasionally.. Like when I just get handed alcohol without being carded (yep, it's happened before). I HATE beer.. I hate the way it tastes and smells. I actually used to work at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and hated opening.. The smell of the hops from the brewery was just terrible and always made me feel sick. I'm all for smirinof ice and mike's hard lemonade.. I can deal with that stuff.. I'll go for pretty much any kind of liquor. 151 isn't that bad.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Going to try a couple different things you all mentioned above, including Sake. My Dad lived in Japan for a few years and always talks about how great it is.

We plan on staying on Disney property so we don't have to drive back to our hotel... Doing drinking around the world one night, and then another night at Islands.. Assuming they have an alcoholic version of butterbeer. It's going to be like one big drunk, slobbery weekend. Haha. It's going to be great.

I have done this a couple of times and just like some have written above, you can either do wine or beer, and this is not a cheap venture.

If you can SKIP Casa Beer in Morocco, it tastes like moose p**s, I dumped the whole thing after 2 sips.

My picks:

Mexico - Dos Equis (real mexicans don't drink Corona)
Norway - Carlsbad
China - Tsing Tsao
Germany - Spaten Optimator (they have Beck's too, but this is my all time favorite beer)
Italy - Peroni
USA - Sam Adams (much better than Bud or Bud Light)
Japan - Kirin Ichiban
Morocco - SKIP!!
France - SKIP!!
Great Britain - Stay in the Pub and have a couple to make up for Morocco and France and Labalt Blue in Canada is moose p**s too. Boddington's is to die for, or have a snake bite which is half beer, half cider.

And good luck walking home! :lol:

I will be out at Epcot tomorrow and I have never had this, how would you rate it amongst your other picks and what is it comparable to?

Japan - Kirin Ichiban

The Moosehead beer in Canada is the Moosepiss beer. That stuff didn't even taste good after having 12 drinks before.

ETA:

When I was there in April, we finally tried La Cava Del Tequila which is located inside the Mexico pavilion. I ordered the Blood Orange Margarita and it was absolutely amazing. I was kind of pressed for time so I didn't get to spend more time in there but it's definitely a new must stop place for me.

Last edited:
The Moosehead beer in Canada is the Moosepiss beer. That stuff didn't even taste good after having 12 drinks before.

ETA:

When I was there in April, we finally tried La Cava Del Tequila which is located inside the Mexico pavilion. I ordered the Blood Orange Margarita and it was absolutely amazing. I was kind of pressed for time so I didn't get to spend more time in there but it's definitely a new must stop place for me.

I have stopped by their the last two times and the Blue Fire Margarita was very good as well. I will have to try the Blood Orange one next time.

La Cava del Tequila has a "jalapeno margarita" on its menu. Blech.

Tequila's not my bag --- but I took my moms to Epcot for mother's day and she LOVED the blue margarita.

I will be out at Epcot tomorrow and I have never had this, how would you rate it amongst your other picks and what is it comparable to?

Japan - Kirin Ichiban

Its very good, its a Japanese recipe by made by Anheuser Busch, but it is an excellent beer.

But you have to try Spaten - Opitimator, its a dark robust beer, but it is sooooo good.

A Tequila Flight at La Cava del Tequila is a great way to start a Drinks around the World Tour. It is 3 1/2 shots (Blanco, Anejo, and Reposado) of tequila. It also comes with a tomato based chaser called Sangrita, a small dish of salt and a lime slice.

mybirthday004.jpg

I wanted to try one of the flights so bad but my tolerance is way to low for that now. They also have a margarita flight for those who didn't know and you get to sample 4 of their specialty margaritas. I haven't seen one bad review for this place yet. My sister had the Passion Fruit margarita and claims it to be the best one she has ever had.

A Tequila Flight at La Cava del Tequila is a great way to start a Drinks around the World Tour. It is 3 1/2 shots (Blanco, Anejo, and Reposado) of tequila. It also comes with a tomato based chaser called Sangrita, a small dish of salt and a lime slice.

mybirthday004.jpg

Ohhh, I hate Sangrita, it tastes like V8. I haven't been to La Cava, but I went to a place in Vegas that had something similar mentioned above and I tried the Sangrita and almost threw up.