Effect of Disney's purchase of Lucas Film on Universal? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Effect of Disney's purchase of Lucas Film on Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Star Tours 2, although incredible, was delivered about a decade late. Even if this were to mean something for the parks stateside, it's probably at least another 10 years away too.

Disney is probably planning to "gift" its parks with some new attractions for its 45th and 50th anniversary. :ears:

BOOM with the facts up in here.

Sorry folks. Disney didn't spend 4 billion just for the rights to a property which it already had.

Aye. People on the Disney forums are baffling me with their leaps in logic. No new Star Wars (besides flashy merchandise and film tie-ins) in the Orlando parks for some time, methinks. (Which, I'll add, is extremely frustrating and unfortunate.)

Sorry folks. Disney didn't spend 4 billion just for the rights to a property which it already had.

Yup. I do think we will see a nice expansion for DHS with Star Wars. Of course, that's blind hope at this point.

But this was done for merchandising and movies primarily, much like the Marvel deal.

Look at it this way: Marvel's been part of Disney for 3 years now, and we don't even have a Marvel attraction announced or under construction. In the now 6 years Disney has owned Pixar, only one major attraction has come out of it in the states in Radiator Springs Racers.

I hope it takes them a shorter amount of time to see a Star Wars expansion (and I think it will), but the trends are not in our favor.

Only 20 ore years to go.........

I'm not exactly sure the point you're trying to make. Why do we have to wait that long? The license has already proved it's popularity over a very large amount of time.

Not that it matters, but Harry Potter has 51,433,185 "likes" on Facebook. Star Wars has 8,974,832. Pottermore on twitter has more followers than @StarWars and @DisneyParks combined.

Clearly, both are HUGE properties with millions upon millions of loyal fans. I don't understand why it has to turn into a pissing contest.

I'm not exactly sure the point you're trying to make. Why do we have to wait that long? The license has already proved it's popularity over a very large amount of time.

Not that it matters, but Harry Potter has 51,433,185 "likes" on Facebook. Star Wars has 8,974,832. Pottermore on twitter has more followers than @StarWars and @DisneyParks combined.

Clearly, both are HUGE properties with millions upon millions of loyal fans. I don't understand why it has to turn into a pissing contest.

To be fair, Star Wars Episode 3 was in 2005, a couple years before the Social Media boom; whereas Harry Potter was going strong through 2011. Either way I agree with you. :lol:

To be fair, Star Wars Episode 3 was in 2005, a couple years before the Social Media boom; whereas Harry Potter was going strong through 2011. Either way I agree with you. :lol:

Oh, I know. But still, I was pretty shocked to see Star Wars only had about 9 million. EVERYONE likes Star Wars.:lol:

I think that you are the one doing that. I was trying to analyze this from a theme park/business POV. The point that I was trying to make is that Harry Potter has 20 more years to go before making a fair comparison to Star Wars current popularity. As far as Facebook "likes"........one film series came out in 1977........one came out in 2001. What do you think is going to have more "likes" on Facebook??? I really thought that Orlando United would be different than Mice Chat.......but sadly, it's reminding me more and more of that forum where people blindly defend everything Disney.:shrug:

I don't know about that defending everything Disney...I follow that FLE thread and...well lets just say it's not pretty :lol:.

Not to beat a dead horse but... come on, now. Star Wars being more popular than Harry Potter? Not a chance. The films are the highest grossing film series of all time. Then you have James Bond, THEN you have Star Wars. It's just not happening. Sure they can make more episodes in a few years, but by then, HP's following will be even stronger with the opening of HP2.0.
In 20 years, you'll have a SW franchise that has fans that are dying out, almost literally.

Not to beat a dead horse but... come on, now. Star Wars being more popular than Harry Potter? Not a chance. The films are the highest grossing film series of all time. Then you have James Bond, THEN you have Star Wars. It's just not happening. Sure they can make more episodes in a few years, but by then, HP's following will be even stronger with the opening of HP2.0.
In 20 years, you'll have a SW franchise that has fans that are dying out, almost literally.

Sorry...but there's a lot of inaccuracies here. Star Wars is only 3rd because Bond has 23 stinking movies, and that Potter has the benefit of today's movie prices.

Potter and Star Wars are the two top franchises in the world. There's no denying that. Anything after that becomes a fanboi pissing contest.

Why are we really having these discussions? They are both the top franchises in the history of franchises. Who cares if it's 1 or 2? Any belittling of any franchise, whether it be Potter or Star Wars, is just silly.

Sorry...but there's a lot of inaccuracies here. Star Wars is only 3rd because Bond has 23 stinking movies, and that Potter has the benefit of today's movie prices.

Potter and Star Wars are the two top franchises in the world. There's no denying that. Anything after that becomes a fanboi pissing contest.

You are correct, but popularity is not affected by inflation, so IMO I think it's safe to say that HP will continue to outshine SW in the coming years, regardless of Disney's moves

You make it sound like they could have done anything they wanted with the property, and having heard things about the difficulty that Lucas had working with Eisner and other execs, I don't think it was as simple as that.

Now Disney has to answer to no one, they can sell darth maul as a princess if they want to now, to use a crazy example

Status
Not open for further replies.