Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 241 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida let the parks open and people are getting laid off here too. When it comes down to it even if DL had opened at the same time that WDW there would still be just as many layoffs.

There was no good answer to any of this since there was no comprehensive national plan or response like most other countries had.
I would hate to see what else would have happened if they didn't reopen

So...looks like Disney on Ice is coming back?

The NBA laid out part of it's plan for getting fans back in arenas for next season and the main part was rapid testing everyone who enters the building. If that works, I can see Disney On Ice and other indoor events going the same route to try to at least get business back up nd running again, even if it's at limited capacity.

Reactions: RevFreako
The NBA laid out part of it's plan for getting fans back in arenas for next season and the main part was rapid testing everyone who enters the building. If that works, I can see Disney On Ice and other indoor events going the same route to try to at least get business back up nd running again, even if it's at limited capacity.

I hope they have a comfortable way of doing so. I can't imagine kids take kindly to having long swabs up their nose.

With the average arena seat being about 3/4 of the width necessary for an extremely fit thin person and the person in the row behind me drinking beer seemingly directly over my head, I didn’t want to go before the virus. Maybe they should buy up all the unused theater reclining chairs first.

So...looks like Disney on Ice is coming back?

I thought Feld Entertainment laid off the whole operation. It is close to me and was locked up tight last time I went by. Have not heard any news around here but I wasn't looking for it either.
If they can scale back up to doing a show in such a short time is impressive

Reactions: SeventyOne
Cineworld closing their theatres and Regal Theatres again. Article didn't say its permanent, but feels permanent to me.

Cineworld closing their theatres and Regal Theatres again. Article didn't say its permanent, but feels permanent to me.

I think this is inevitable, unfortunately. I sympathize with everyone who loves the theater experience, but i think at least the megaplex experience is grabbing its coat and hst.

There's no reason for them to be open right now. I don't think it's permanent. Yet. They'll try to stay alive for sure. The problem is the next major release on the schedule is Soul, which likely gets moved, and then things like Free Guy, Monster Hunter, Dune, and WW84 that are still around in December. I'm gonna bet most of those December movies get moved to 2021 and theaters will go on an indefinite close again. The problem is the uncertainty about reopening. They tried it now and it didn't work already. I don't have a ton of optimism that even Spring will be great in terms of returning to the movies and the thing is, people have to be willing to go.

The problem is, if Studios wait too long to release their big movies in theaters, the theaters might not be there when they need them to be when we're on the other side of COVID.

There's no reason for them to be open right now. I don't think it's permanent. Yet. They'll try to stay alive for sure. The problem is the next major release on the schedule is Soul, which likely gets moved, and then things like Free Guy, Monster Hunter, Dune, and WW84 that are still around in December. I'm gonna bet most of those December movies get moved to 2021 and theaters will go on an indefinite close again. The problem is the uncertainty about reopening. They tried it now and it didn't work already. I don't have a ton of optimism that even Spring will be great in terms of returning to the movies and the thing is, people have to be willing to go.

The problem is, if Studios wait too long to release their big movies in theaters, the theaters might not be there when they need them to be when we're on the other side of COVID.
I hear you, but it's that last part i think is inevitable. Theaters are such a thin-margin business as it is, I don't think that part of the industry can sustain another close or two.

Well since Bond isn't opening until like summer next year, they better have the cash to keep open that long

I wonder if Amazon will buy up the chain and use some theaters in popular spots to show off some of their films and tv shows.

I hear you, but it's that last part i think is inevitable. Theaters are such a thin-margin business as it is, I don't think that part of the industry can sustain another close or two.
AMC has financing through the Spring they've said. So there's at least that.

Either way, everyone should watch this Executive round table with the heads of all major studios and streamers. Even if you guys don't care about the cinematic "experience", you need to be rooting for theaters to stay alive as pretty much everyone agreed, if we're making a $200M movie, we need to have it on the big screen. We're living in an age of the blockbuster movie right now (as well as great TV), but we could easily see that go away real quick as the economics won't be there to support such business decisions anymore.

Like, does the MCU just become a bunch of Disney+ series if theaters close, because that's sort of how I see it happening.

Reactions: SeventyOne
AMC has financing through the Spring they've said. So there's at least that.

Either way, everyone should watch this Executive round table with the heads of all major studios and streamers. Even if you guys don't care about the cinematic "experience", you need to be rooting for theaters to stay alive as pretty much everyone agreed, if we're making a $200M movie, we need to have it on the big screen. We're living in an age of the blockbuster movie right now (as well as great TV), but we could easily see that go away real quick as the economics won't be there to support such business decisions anymore.

Like, does the MCU just become a bunch of Disney+ series if theaters close, because that's sort of how I see it happening.

Like so many other things, I don't believe that it actually takes 200 million dollars to make a "200 million dollar movie" - look at all the stories of twenty year old blockbusters that supposedly don't turn a profit for royalty purposes.

If theaters did die, and Marvel couldn't tell their story for fifty million or what have you, maybe they don't need to tell their story. We're in a new world - "adapt or die" sounds cruel, but so does life-saving surgery, you know?

Reactions: Legacy
If theaters chains close momentarily, or go out of business, once the covid situation settles, someone will replace them. Theaters, and theater chains come and go. If there's money to be made, and there will be, the vacuum will be filled by new chains. .

If theaters chains close momentarily, or go out of business, once the covid situation settles, someone will replace them. Theaters, and theater chains come and go. If there's money to be made, and there will be, the vacuum will be filled by new chains. .
I kinda think Amazon is waiting for a major chain to go out of business so they can buy cheap and become a major player once this is all over with.

I kinda think Amazon is waiting for a major chain to go out of business so they can buy cheap and become a major player once this is all over with.
They're definitely in the catbird seat either way. Netflix doesn't have the reserves to make a move like that, Amazon does, and if the theater industry does die, they're the second biggest streaming platform.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Out of curiosity, is the antitrust law still in place that keeps movie producers from owning theater chains?

Status
Not open for further replies.