Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 53 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without more information, I'm guessing this may be a case similar to Minions: the remote pipeline just isn't robust enough to finish these movies on-time. Some may even require reshoots, which obviously aren't practical right now.
It could be - but given it’s every movie they have releasing this summer, I think it’s out of fear of underperformance globally. That plus not wanting to risk spending money on marketing for it to have to get pushed back because of another surge in outbreak.

Not surprising. It's Disney's go to answer for economic distress. Universal got the jump on Disney during the 2008 crisis by building through it while Disney cancelled projects like Hyperion Wharf. When folks were ready and able to travel again, Universal had a shiny new Potter land and Disney had a boarded up ghost town of an entertainment district.

Not surprising. It's Disney's go to answer for economic distress. Universal got the jump on Disney during the 2008 crisis by building through it while Disney cancelled projects like Hyperion Wharf. When folks were ready and able to travel again, Universal had a shiny new Potter land and Disney had a boarded up ghost town of an entertainment district.

Not only that, Disney laughed at Universal building. I'm getting the vibe that Disney's set itself back another 5 years.

I think this time around, Disney might be making the right move, unfortunately.

I think it's very telling that China reopened theaters a week ago, only to close them again a few days ago. It's also very telling the China parks have yet to resume operations either. I expect that means of operations to be fully reflected in the U.S.

Again, I think this is the new normal until we get a vaccine/cure.

Reactions: randompixel
One advantage for Comcast is that their cable/internet operations will continue to generate cash flow,in addition to their network/cable stations advertising revenue (though advertising revenue will be decreased by a percentage). Comcast will lose money this quarter, but still have significant revenues. Mostly the movie and theme park divisions will be the big drags on the corporation.

I think it's very telling that China reopened theaters a week ago, only to close them again a few days ago. It's also very telling the China parks have yet to resume operations either. I expect that means of operations to be fully reflected in the U.S.

Disney has virtually no revenue stream right now, are pumping in cash to D+, and just took on a ton of debut acquiring Fox. Comcast has a revenue stream.

It honestly depends on the precautions that they're taking and how close people have to work together. I'd say that things like grading and pre-work at EU are probably fine to keep progressing. JP coaster maybe, at least until theming and indoor work. You really just want to avoid close indoor proximity, so as long as you stagger lunches, keep people apart, wear PPE and increase sanitation you're probably okay. That's the precautions that we're taking for our essential personnel at my plant for construction at least.

Disney has virtually no revenue stream right now, are pumping in cash to D+, and just took on a ton of debut acquiring Fox. Comcast has a revenue stream.
Well, Disney is still bringing in cash from ABC and Disney's family of cable channels. I would imaging viewership on Disney Channel and Disney Jr. is through the roof right now with all the kiddies stuck at home. So I'm sure Disney is exploiting that in advertising pricing. And I would imagine Disney+ will have a robust quarter of subscription sales.

Well, Disney is still bringing in cash from ABC and Disney's family of cable channels. I would imaging viewership on Disney Channel and Disney Jr. is through the roof right now with all the kiddies stuck at home. So I'm sure Disney is exploiting that in advertising pricing. And I would imagine Disney+ will have a robust quarter of subscription sales.

Well according to whatever this site is, Disney's revenue in 2018 was $98.6B, with the lion's share coming from Media Networks ($24.8B) and Parks ($26.23B). Studio entertainment only accounted for $11.1B and Direct to consumers and international counted for $9.35B.

Regardless of how much they're making from their media networks, we're talking about a $20-40B cut if this continues through most of the year. That's MASSIVE.

I can't find exact numbers for NBCUniversal, but the majority of their revenue drivers are broadband and cable related, which people are still paying for.

Reactions: Andysol
And after that stuff which they make advertising dollars off of, I would argue that Hulu + Live TV is one of their main revenue drivers right now, along with Disney+. That's how bad things have gotten. Everything else is shut down.

Although at this point, I don't think Falcon and the Winter Soldier is releasing on time anyway as they haven't finished shooting, they have post production work to do and the whole production is on pause.

Post production on Marvel projects is still ongoing (can confirm as I am working on one of them). We're just all working from home. Will D+ dates shift around? Quite possible. But work is very much so still happening.

That’s my bad. I thought this was the general thread.

Goats are directly related to the entertainment industry and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

To think that we would have seen an economic boom in Orlando over the next 3 years with WDW's additions, Epic Universe and Virgin Trains adding a higher volume of visitors.

Honestly, I've been thinking about it. From what we're seeing from Universal, I think that EU will have a slight delay due to supply chain disruptions, not due to labor. If they're anything like my much smaller company, they also won't be looking to substantially value-engineer anything yet either. We'll see how long this drags out for. Comcast has a fairly healthy revenue stream as has been mentioned already which will dampen a lot of these effects. Disney will 100% see cutbacks, and I think Epcot will unfortunately take the brunt of that. The Virgin trains will still make it just because Branson's a madman and does whatever he wants to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.