Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 56 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I say properties I'm referring to not only land that is not yet built on but buildings also. So every tract between those two points has 'potential', if their businesses/owners have cash flow/business losses issues.

Agreed

My assumption would be that the tract of land between the two would be the most obvious spot for purchasing land which is why I ask

Reactions: Mad Dog
What properties are between the USF/IOA campus and the EU site?
There are some owners that would be very reluctant to let Universal have that land. Some still want people to have to pass their business when traveling between the two campuses. Others may have a... bigger reason to make this project more difficult for Universal.

Reactions: redy2468
The good (?) news for us HHN-ers is that it looks like the solid rescheduling dates are all happening mid-August (democratic convention) through early September (A Quiet Place). There are a few other examples, but those are the big ones so far.

Reactions: Wednesday Addams
Soooo......how many great property prices are going to be popping up for sale by cash strapped owners near Epic. Bet Universal is watching, waiting to buy in what will probably be a distressed commercial real estate market.
I'd guess Universal won't actually have much interest in buying a lot of the smaller properties on I-drive and Universal Blvd. Only a handful of the larger ones would be of use to them.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The only way Universal starts buying I-Drive properties is if they’re convinced they can build large contiguous parcels.

There’s just too many businesses and land-owners on I-Drive. If they can assemble a big contiguous portion of I-Drive then that speaks really badly for Orlando’s future.

Reactions: fryoj and youhow2
The only way Universal starts buying I-Drive properties is if they’re convinced they can build large contiguous parcels.

There’s just too many businesses and land-owners on I-Drive. If they can assemble a big contiguous portion of I-Drive then that speaks really badly for Orlando’s future.

I don't see any reason why they would want to. They've got enough room with the new resort and they can overbuild.

The only reason they built Endless Summer is because they already had the land.

As for continuous land purchases between the resorts, they'd only need to buy 2 or 3 parcels but the only reason I can see them doing that is if they're going to build some kind of transport but that's just a pipe dream.

There's almost no way this or the Republican convention actually happen in-person. They will need to be virtual with limited attendance of delegates only.

Speaking of Conventions, it's only a matter of time until Comic-Con gets postponed or cancelled.

About when I was expecting it. The biggest thing is they get to keep their benefits. Once CM's apply and get approved for unemployment, they'll be making more money per week in almost every case, so i'm not going to criticize WDW too much for making this move. Especially since Disney is bleeding money - at this point that they can't afford to continue to pay people to not work for them.

Obviously it would be preferable if they could keep them on forever and continue paying them. But there's honestly no telling when the parks are going to open and Disney is in dire straights, unlike a Comcast that has a stable enough cable and Internet business to hold them up right now.

About when I was expecting it. The biggest thing is they get to keep their benefits. Once CM's apply and get approved for unemployment, they'll be making more money per week in almost every case, so i'm not going to criticize WDW too much for making this move. Especially since Disney is bleeding money - at this point that they can't afford to continue to pay people to not work for them.

Obviously it would be preferable if they could keep them on forever and continue paying them. But there's honestly no telling when the parks are going to open and Disney is in dire straights, unlike a Comcast that has a stable enough cable and Internet business to hold them up right now.

Like you said, they are mostly getting a raise going on Unemployment. It's a win-win for Disney and the employees. Especially since they are keeping benefits. As people figure this out, and this goes across a lot of jobs across the country, more and more will ask to be laid off. The interesting thing will be on the back side of this how hard will it be to get workers to come back to work when they know they are taking a pay cut and have to go back to work.

Of course our unemployment system in Florida is so damaged people have been trying for weeks to apply and still can't get through. Adding 50,000 more cast members on top of that isn't going to be great.

Reactions: Frogki
Like you said, they are mostly getting a raise going on Unemployment. It's a win-win for Disney and the employees. Especially since they are keeping benefits. As people figure this out, and this goes across a lot of jobs across the country, more and more will ask to be laid off. The interesting thing will be on the back side of this how hard will it be to get workers to come back to work when they know they are taking a pay cut and have to go back to work.

This won't be a thing considering the additional $600 a week is temporary.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.