Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 150 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually went to this tournament in 2018 for my sister's game. If you've ever been to a volleyball tournament, they pack in courts and people like crazy, so, yeah social distancing ain't happening unless they heavily modify how they lay out courts.

Ironically, attending this tournament was how I indirectly found the forums. Our family hadn't been to Orlando in a decade, so we decided it would be a great opportunity to visit WDW again. We only did a full day at Epcot and a half day at Animal Kingdom, but I think my family and I were a little disappointed (I mean, AK has like six rides and Disneyland has 30, so...). It actually led me to search for Universal information to see if we could sneak an IOA trip in, which led me to these forums.

Funny how the world works.

giphy.gif

They'll probably only just be opening in mid-June here in Florida, never mind Los Angeles where you guys are still under a stay-at-home. And I can't stress enough that Theme Parks will not be opening the second the order is lifted there. They are in Phase 4 of California's reopening. With all of that in mind, I would be expecting August at the absolute earliest.
Good point, I'm in no rush for them to open. Hopefully they can get data from the park and China and who ever opens up first and go from there.

Universal is going to be interesting to see how they do seating in Harry Potter and the Simpsons those feel like they will be hard to fit that many people on them because of how the vehicles are designed. Jurassic, Mummy and the Tram should be good with if half the seats are not being used.

Good point, I'm in no rush for them to open. Hopefully they can get data from the park and China and who ever opens up first and go from there.

Universal is going to be interesting to see how they do seating in Harry Potter and the Simpsons those feel like they will be hard to fit that many people on them because of how the vehicles are designed. Jurassic, Mummy and the Tram should be good with if half the seats are not being used.
FJ and Simpsons would be one party per vehicle if they follow Disney's protocol for vehicles with 1-2 rows. That won't be a large issue for the former given parties of 5+ are already split, but accommodating parties of less than 4 on Simpsons will hurt capacity.

FJ and Simpsons would be one party per vehicle if they follow Disney's protocol for vehicles with 1-2 rows. That won't be a large issue for the former given parties of 5+ are already split, but accommodating parties of less than 4 on Simpsons will hurt capacity.

Just thinking logically here- will every other row even help on something like Mummy or Gringotts (or especially a coaster)? You’re going at a significant speed and outside of a sneeze from the row behind you at load/unload, what’s the extra row going to prevent?

And something like MiB (or ET)- there is significant distance between the rows already. And you could easily wear a mask on that ride with the AC they have pumping in there.

Just thinking logically here- will every other row even help on something like Mummy or Gringotts (or especially a coaster)? You’re going at a significant speed and outside of a sneeze from the row behind you at load/unload, what’s the extra row going to prevent?

And something like MiB (or ET)- there is significant distance between the rows already. And you could easily wear a mask on that ride with the AC they have pumping in there.

I would think that a mask is more important than the social distancing on the rides. A combination of both is obviously best.

I would think that a mask is more important than the social distancing on the rides. A combination of both is obviously best.
I agree. I think a mask on something like Hulk (or really, any ride), is a no brainer. But equally, do we really need every other row on the Hulk? Isn’t that entirely useless on a ride like that?

Its just like anything- I’m curious what the alleviation of risk is. If the risk of transmission is lowered 2 out of 100 on Gringotts by every other row, it’s a no brainer. But what if it’s 2 out of 1,000? Doubtful that’s worth it. Or 2 out of 10,000? That’s certainly not worth it. So what would acceptably be worth halving capacity? And from a cost perspective- if they don’t go every other row, then they could run half the trains.

I agree. I think a mask on something like Hulk (or really, any ride), is a no brainer. But equally, do we really need every other row on the Hulk? Isn’t that entirely useless on a ride like that?

Its just like anything- I’m curious what the alleviation of risk is. If the risk of transmission is lowered 2 out of 100 on Gringotts by every other row, it’s a no brainer. But what if it’s 2 out of 1,000? Doubtful that’s worth it. Or 2 out of 10,000? That’s certainly not worth it. So what would acceptably be worth halving capacity? And from a cost perspective- if they don’t go every other row, then they could run half the trains.
Halving the capacity will play a mental factor for some guests and honestly, it’s not like they will have crowds that make it necessary to run at 100% capacity.

Just as they are lowering overall park capacity, I think starting off with reduced ride capacity and building up can only help from a PR perspective. It shows them giving an effort to be as safe as possible.

Obviously as they increase park capacity, they would increase ride capacity.

Not trying to be depressing but just going to be real with everyone, a theme park is simply not a safe place for germs. It isn't, this isn't going to change that, there's quite literally only so much these parks can do in my eyes.

All I have to say to someone go to the parks, where a mask and protect others.

The public response after the waves of Spanish Flu subsided, was a wild reawakening of culture and society, in the US, and in many countries affected by the influenza. It was a time when a previous puritanical society started living life like there was no tomorrow. A distinct new lifestyle....If that same social response again happens, once CV effects abate, it may well signal a golden age for entertainment like theme parks. In that scenario , Universal will have perfectly timed Epic Universe.

Last edited:
I think you have to go to every other row, or one group per car, with someone physically wiping down or otherwise sanitizing the ride vehicles in full view of the public to start. Its simple optics.

Crowds will not return to the parks until they feel it is safe to do so. This confidence will come from 2 places, perception that the parks are taking adequate measures to clean, disinfect, and keep the customers safe. And a track record of park visits without traceable outbreaks.

Neither of these can happen until the parks open to customers, at a profit or at a loss. Even if you don't open until spring 2021, you still wont get steady crowds until people are confident that it is safe to go.

I really think the parks are in a position that they have to open at a loss, in order to hopefully start making a profit 6 months from now.

The public response after the waves of Spanish Flu subsided, was a wild reawakening of culture and society, in the US, and in many countries affected by the influenza. It was a time when a previous puritanical society started living life like there was no tomorrow. A distinct new lifestyle....If that same social response again happens, once CV effects abate, it may well signal a golden age for entertainment like theme parks. In that scenario , Universal will have perfectly timed Epic Universe.

Another roaring twenties huh? Clever historical comparison!

Except with the prohibition.
But that never stopped the drinking and partying and good times. :cheers: It just went underground with even wilder unregulated, or winked at by public officials, speakeasys, and a thriving black market....and provided the manner in which the Kennedy clan made their big money by bootlegging. ;) ....and lots of legal cocaine, and other drugs, back then.

But that never stopped the drinking and partying and good times. :cheers: It just went underground with even wilder unregulated, or winked at by public officials, speakeasys, and a thriving black market....and provided the manner in which the Kennedy clan made their big money by bootlegging. ;) ....and lots of legal cocaine, and other drugs, back then.

Oh man. I cannot wait to go to some bootleg speakeasy theme-parks. Anyone joining me for Spooky Time Scary Nights this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.