Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 100 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean, were either of these projects really going to move the needle for you?

I'm actively glad we're not getting the new Spaceship Earth revamp, and I'm indifferent about Poppins, as it sounds like that attraction was thoroughly unambitious to begin with.
SSE is basically falling apart, and Epcot as a whole needs a lot of work. Continually pushing that off will mean Epcot will continue to be a bad park

SSE is basically falling apart, and Epcot as a whole needs a lot of work. Continually pushing that off will mean Epcot will continue to be a bad park

I don't think the possibly-cancelled changes that might have been coming were going to improve my enjoyment in any significant way. :shrug:

And I push back against the idea that it's an outright "bad" park; it's a park with a major identity crisis (which future projects are/were not going to remedy), and in comparison to the park I grew up, it's absolutely several notches below that. But there's plenty there -- Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, Soarin', Test Track, Gran Fiesta Tour, the World Showcase films, The American Adventure -- that I very much enjoy.

I do certainly think it's in the number four position among the WDW parks, which is sad, because it was once my favorite park on the planet.

I mean, were either of these projects really going to move the needle for you?

I'm actively glad we're not getting the new Spaceship Earth revamp, and I'm indifferent about Poppins, as it sounds like that attraction was thoroughly unambitious to begin with.

That's a good question, I don't know. For me, World Showcase no longer really registers for me and feels stale. Imagination is a complete waste. The Land is good, Seas is fine, SSE is a mechanical mess, Innoventions is totally gone, and the rest is a big question mark right now. While Poppins on its own probably won't have done much for me it would have added to refreshing World Showcase. SSE just needs help, flat out. Finally, the Festival Center likely would be one of those "oh that's nice looking but I'm not going in" sort of things so I want to see what the new plans are first.

Never thought I'd see the day where Epcot is generally agreed to be worse than DCA

It depends on why you go to parks, I guess. For me I'm more interested in more rides and things to do at DCA than Epcot. Also DCA doesn't pretend to be something that it isn't.

I mean, DCA has been better than every non-MK WDW Park since like 2012
I'd say it might be on par with DHS in terms of rides (DCA still easily beats it in atmosphere). However that might depend on what I think of Avengers Campus and Galaxy's Edge once I visit them, hopefully sometime next year.

I still think World Showcase, overall, is terrific. Walking through there is when I most feel like I'm back in the park from my early trips. Which, if that's not your thing, could come across as stale, I guess.

The cultural depictions don't feel modern anymore to me. I know everyhting doesn't need to be a modern city but some overhauls and updates would be appreciated.

I'd rather it stay in its current form for the next 5-10 years than get puked on with whatever IP nonsense was going in. Sure, mourn no Poppins, but that was another non-IP idea that had IP forced on it, just like Guardians.

Ratatouille and the coaster check the boxes for what it needed in the short term. See what weaknesses rise to the top across the parks in 2022-23 and go from there.

I agree on the World Showcase feeling tired or "not modern" ... just seems a little off. Maybe riding festivals for the next 18 months with APs and CMs will convince them to reinvest in basic things around the lagoon.

Disney is currently spending a lot of money on ongoing projects, however. There’s only so much you can spend while operating in the red.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The cultural depictions don't feel modern anymore to me. I know everyhting doesn't need to be a modern city but some overhauls and updates would be appreciated.

If you're talking general upkeep, then of course. And additional attractions (that are actually good) would be appreciated.

Aesthetically, though, I don't know how much there is to be done in terms of modernizing without getting rid of some of the rich cultural distinctiveness that has been achieved by the pavilions opting for a more "timeless"/idealized design approach.

Put another way: 1770s Philadelphia is a more interesting framework for a theme park pavilion than a modern American city.

If you're talking general upkeep, then of course. And additional attractions (that are actually good) would be appreciated.

Aesthetically, though, I don't know how much there is to be done in terms of modernizing without getting rid of some of the rich cultural distinctiveness that has been achieved by the pavilions opting for a more "timeless"/idealized design approach.

Put another way: 1770s Philadelphia is a more interesting framework for a theme park pavilion than a modern American city.
Definitely agree with you on that. The time period captured in each country's culture is what gives the area it's richness. I would have absolutely no interest in modern look/feel versions of each nation. I think there would be a boring sameness to that depiction.

The problem with Epcot is it doesn't have THE ride that has to be ridden...

I believe Soarin and Test Track are great, but are they really "can't miss" type attractions?

Epcot needs a few thrilling can't miss type attractions

The problem with Epcot is it doesn't have THE ride that has to be ridden...

I believe Soarin and Test Track are great, but are they really "can't miss" type attractions?

Epcot needs a few thrilling can't miss type attractions
I believe that’s what GotG is supposed to be, but we’ll see.

Reactions: shiekra38
The only part of the SSE revamp I was truly looking forward to was the enhancements to the second half (descent portion) and replacing those god awful screens with something more in line with the original versions of the ride.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
I’ve heard rumors the Play Pavilion was cancelled. Can anybody confirm that?
I’d think it’s postponed more than anything. The inside is torn up supposedly, so they couldn’t even go back to using this as event space right now. At this point, halfway through construction, I think they’ll finish. Eventually.