Epcot Status | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot Status

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Andy

aka Hatetofly
Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2010
So I was at the park earlier tonight for the first time in a while and wanted to share a few things. Sorry no photos, I didn't feel like bringing the big camera in for a handful of photos while hanging out with family visiting from Phoenix. Anyways here are few things I noticed during my visit.

Test Track-Holy cow this thing is in rough shape. During my ride tonight the screen in the car didn't work, the audio was in and out, the cones in the abs section were off, the corrosion mister arms were moving but not spraying, the crash test scene was not working (duh), and the brakes after the high speed pass were just jerking the car like crazy. I don't remember that. The ride is in the worst shape I have ever seen it. While it doesn't sound good about the refurb I really hope its still coming.

SSE-Man that descent just makes me so mad. They literally just threw blackouts over the preexisting sets. In most areas the blackouts are starting to sag and looks like the roof liner of that old car we have all been in. You know the one that looks like an upside down circus tent. Fast Pass will be ready to roll when they want to unveil it.

Finding Nemo-Fast Pass is still a work in progress. The FP line looks like it will join the queue just after the beach switch backs which is very odd imo but maybe there might be some queue adjustments coming soon as well. The angler fish was broken and just stuck in Disco Angler mode. The one shark that sticks his head out of the boat in the Bruce scene is also not working. If it wasn't for the Starfish I would not ride it.

Journey Into Imagination-All effects working, ride still sucks.

Soarin-Now here is where I was truly shocked. The state of this rides screen is terrible. Now we were in auditorium 2 or B whatever so I am just speaking to that. I counted numerous black spots on the screen as well as being able to see all the points where the fabric has been sewn together. Now I'm not sure if the black spots were tears but the images would not display on those parts of the screen. The screen itself really just looked bad to the point of ruining the show IMO. I have not been on Soarin for a long time since the line is always so dang long but since my visiting family are staying on site we did the extra magic hours. I also want to point out that even with a FULL queue it only took 30 minutes to get through with fast pass not operating. It truly gives you an idea of how bad fast pass is for many attractions.

Other items of interest include a no stroller in the land pavilion law with cast members enforcing it. I don't remember that. I passed by it quickly but I think the Morocco scrim is down. The line for Englands fish and chips was across the bridge, yeah no joke. The info board in future world is still boarded up but the other two on either side of FW were working just fine, and the monorail station looked to be getting some work when I left the park at close to midnight.

We ate in China, France, and Germany btw and all of them were amazing as usual. I also want to point out that most of the sit down restaurants were packed and were not accepting walk up reservations for most of the day.

This is a picture of Test Track's queue from early February.

IMG_0154.jpg

WOW.

Other items of interest include a no stroller in the land pavilion law with cast members enforcing it. I don't remember that. I passed by it quickly but I think the Morocco scrim is down. The line for Englands fish and chips was across the bridge, yeah no joke. The info board in future world is still boarded up but the other two on either side of FW were working just fine, and the monorail station looked to be getting some work when I left the park at close to midnight.

It was a Friday in Lent :thumbs:

EPCOT, or now I guess it doe seem more right calling it Epcot is my least favorite of the Disney Florida theme parks now. It is sad because it was not always that way.

The only reason I still make it out there every once in a while is because of Illuminations, the special events and Club Cool.

Why can't the park even manage to get the curtains on The Universe of Energy's screens to retract and close properly? Is it really that difficult and worth having blank screens just constantly revealed?

Is FastPass for Journey to Imagination ready? Because it sounds like they need to shut down everything else in the park for a major refurb. :lol:

Is this even being brought up in the Disney communties? Universal gets way more flack when it has effects not working, even if they're known for bringing them back online A LOT faster than Disney.

Pretty sad that the park's last major attraction(unless you count the Seas retheme) was Mission Space. Even if you count Nemo that is 2007. The park is really a shell of its former self.

The fact that Captain Eo still plays next to one of the most lackluster things Disney has ever done and damaged with Figment does not help much either.

Uhhhh...Soarin' in 2006.

Actually Soarin was 2005. That means seven years ago and it was a clone from 2001's Disney California Adventure. Pathetic since with nothing new on the table, we are not going to have any new major attraction at EPCOT for a little while.

That is seven years. pathetic.

Actually Soarin was 2005. That means seven years ago and it was a clone from 2001's Disney California Adventure. Pathetic since with nothing new on the table, we are not going to have any new major attraction at EPCOT for a little while.

That is seven years. pathetic.

It's been 20 years since MK got an E-ticket, 13 since DHS got an E, and six since DAK. It's not just EPCOT.

But EPCOT continuously pulls in good profits, not to mention a constant stream of refrubs/redoes compared to the other parks. That's why it rarely gets additions, on top of the idiotic sponsor ideology

Never said it was just EPCOT. The thread is the status of EPCOT. So having to compare it to parks that are managed even more poorly than EPCOT is proving nothing to showcase its status in any good light.

Seven years is too long to go without anything actually new when you pull in those said numbers and figures. Especially when refurbs are debatable on improvement. Mission Space being toned down. El Rio changing films to ride screens and Imagination and Eo...yeah. The only positive refurb for sure to the public has been Nemo.

Seven years is too long to go without anything actually new when you pull in those said numbers and figures. Especially when refurbs are debatable on improvement. Mission Space being toned down. El Rio changing films to ride screens and Imagination and Eo...yeah. The only positive refurb for sure to the public has been Nemo.

Mission Space had horrendous attendance before Green side was a thing, and is barely any better at this point. Orange has never been toned down.

El Rio was always screens. Not sure exactly what you mean there.

Imagination sucks and has for a while, no denying that. But a lot of money was spent on the first change. And for as bad as EO is, it's better than the crappy HISTA.

As for "it pulls in numbers therefore it should get additions", you aren't thinking like TDO.

^ yeah, tdo has been resting on its laurels for far too many years. The people keep coming because of 'memories' and Disney hopes those memories will keep filling in the blanks... that is, their shoddy upkeep of their attractions. They are still pretty good at polishing their facade... but the guts are just a joke. Still, we are not CEOs or VPs kicking the stock value up at any price. Who do we have to answer to like they do? They are not imaginative people, they are money mongers. That is their job now.

The fact that Epcot has not had a major attraction since 2005 is just sad. We all waited for Epcot's 25th and nothing. Then we waited for something to counter Potter and nothing. Then we waited for WDW's 40th and aside from FLE there is really nothing. Epcot is doing nothing more than laying back and watching the World Showcase bring in the bucks. I mean its to the point now where the Food and Wine Festival is the equivalent of HHN to Universal as far as Q4 revenue juggernauts. This is another reason why you are seeing the extreme amount of refurbs and total restructuring of numerous restaurants in the World Showcase. They can care less about Future World since the WS is where the profits are at.

Mission Space had horrendous attendance before Green side was a thing, and is barely any better at this point. Orange has never been toned down.

El Rio was always screens. Not sure exactly what you mean there.

Imagination sucks and has for a while, no denying that. But a lot of money was spent on the first change. And for as bad as EO is, it's better than the crappy HISTA.

As for "it pulls in numbers therefore it should get additions", you aren't thinking like TDO.

I am saying I think that El Rio's changes were not really an upgrade. Just an equivalent change if anything. Although I prefer the original. And just because there are screens do not mean we have to keep that meathod.

As for maintenance. Things are not much better at EPCOT. Virtually every physical effect inside Test Track is broken. Cones, Sparks from Truck, crash collison test wall and vehicle, robotic painter arms. The list goes on and on. It is just a cheap thrill ride now.

Soarin looks horrible now because the film has not been upkept or replaced and is very grainy. The themeless queue and boring one at that was never adressed to an attraction that was so popular.

As for not thinking like TDO. Thank you. I am glad none of us do. That being said.

My point remains because every thing else is trivial. The park's status is that it has not had a new stand alone attraction since 2005 and there is no sign of one breaking ground any time soon. Even if it does we are looking at eight years without a new attraction and e tend to lose more than we gain. TDO resting on laurels is about to catch up with them because EPCOT's numbers may not spiral downward fast, but guest spending sure will when there is nothing too enticing within the park itself.

I am saying I think that El Rio's changes were not really an upgrade. Just an equivalent change if anything. Although I prefer the original. And just because there are screens do not mean we have to keep that meathod.

As for maintenance. Things are not much better at EPCOT. Virtually every physical effect inside Test Track is broken. Cones, Sparks from Truck, crash collison test wall and vehicle, robotic painter arms. The list goes on and on. It is just a cheap thrill ride now.

Soarin looks horrible now because the film has not been upkept or replaced and is very grainy. The themeless queue and boring one at that was never adressed to an attraction that was so popular.

As for not thinking like TDO. Thank you. I am glad none of us do. That being said.

My point remains because every thing else is trivial. The park's status is that it has not had a new stand alone attraction since 2005 and there is no sign of one breaking ground any time soon. Even if it does we are looking at eight years without a new attraction and e tend to lose more than we gain. TDO resting on laurels is about to catch up with them because EPCOT's numbers may not spiral downward fast, but guest spending sure will when there is nothing too enticing within the park itself.

They might not have gotten a new attraction, but in recent years they have gotten the Kim Possible game, new restaurants in Italy and Mexico, added Pixar Weekends to their annual roster of seasonal festivals, and finally made awesome use of The Odyssey. Okay, scratch that last part, but my point is that Epcot is not about rides so much as the other parks. I know more people who go to Epcot to drink and eat within the "World's Fair" style atmosphere than attend for rides. This isn't to say I don't want a new ride, but Epcot has more going for it than simply that, and they've expanded in those areas.

I think that if Epcot is going to be simply a Mall to explore, shop, and dine, then the entrance fee should reflect that.

I think TDO has seen a giant shift in Guest Spending as more guests have been giving their dollars to Universal and it's unique merchandise than to Disney.

That being said, you can point to

Soarin'
Mission Space
The Seas with Nemo and Friends

all of which were used in marketing collateral to drive attendance.

When you look at how marketing pushes the parks they try to hook you on an idea of an experience that you are going to have. Disney's commercials, billboards, brochures, videos all try this hook.

After a while people become blind to messaging after it has been repeated, in the digital world this is called "Banner Blindness" so Disney like most companies tries something new, to interest and hook people.

When you look at Epcot's marketing collateral I think it is in danger of becoming invisible to most people if it isn't already. The Billboards, brochures, videos, commercials for Epcot are the same and feature the same pitches for the past 5-6 years.

The only chance you have to really get a fresh message about Epcot is if you are local here in Florida and you see Flower and Garden/Food and Wine commercials.

So the point of all this, is again. Epcot, along with most of WDW is in danger of repeating the same message so many times, that it's ability to drive bookings is greatly diminished.

When you look at Epcot's marketing collateral I think it is in danger of becoming invisible to most people if it isn't already. The Billboards, brochures, videos, commercials for Epcot are the same and feature the same pitches for the past 5-6 years..

That's "Disney Parks" as a whole. All the commercials are exactly the same by and large.