Epic Universe Preview Center | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Epic Universe Preview Center

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My feeling on the AR is that while cool it leans too far in the "gimmicky" sphere. I can see where Grabnar is coming from in regards to how many people will download and use the app, especially if that's all it does. I don't think every member in a group is going to download the app when they'd probably share the phone while there. And why wasn't this an update added to the main Universal app anyway? It doesn't look like it really needed to be a separate thing.

I also have a small problem with the fact precious showroom space is being used for merchandise. If the goal is to inform guests why weren't the walls covered in information about the rides and synopses about the lands? (No, I don't think telling the guest to download the app/check the site is a sufficient replacement for having physical signage and props.)

The IOA preview center did better in that regard in terms getting the feel of the lands and what to expect as a complete package for a preview; I think that's what some here are talking about when they were expecting more "theme".* It's kind of weird there's a dismissive approach to this with the "new world/different time" angle. The Universal Studios store is right across from this. They could have dedicated retail space there to open along with the preview center at the same time and have more room for information and decoration for the new park.

Do I think the model is amazing? Abso-freaking-lutely!!! I'm sad I was about a day or two off of seeing it in person but I know I'll be gawking at it for a while whenever I'm back there for more time than I probably should. I'm in awe and appreciative of all the people who worked to build it (LINK REMOVED) but model aside, the rest of the preview center appears to lack a similar significance. It's a major milestone for Universal, doesn't happen often, and I believe the building interior should reflect that but perhaps I'm old. ;)

The portals are also pretty barebones. Ironically the combination of these makes it feel dated *from the pictures*
I think it's a misstep that besides the icon on top they all look the same. Would it have been too much to ask that they could be similarly colored to the real portals? Or display the quoted line from each portal entrance?

Little touches like that would've made a difference, and I don't think that has anything to do with people being on forums or not.

* Question to people who've been there: do the screens within each portal show information about the park or is it just those still images showing what the land like is within the portal? It doesn't seem like anyone's mentioned any such thing about it so I'm assuming they don't do anything.

Tired Monday GIF

It's just a lot of energy focused on something silly, IMO, Yes, the IOA Preview did a better job - but it was also a product of its time. No, this Preview Center is not meant for anyone that's on this forum. Yes, you're all still going to EU.
EU is on my to-do list for theme parks as well. I'm just in no rush to visit it either until any major kinks that come up in its first year or couple of years are ironed out.

• Haha
Reactions: Ahmanet
It's just a lot of energy focused on something silly, IMO, Yes, the IOA Preview did a better job - but it was also a product of its time. No, this Preview Center is not meant for anyone that's on this forum. Yes, you're all still going to EU.
I think it’s the case people growing up and loving everything with rose colored glasses.

Of course the IOA preview center is the best thing in the world if you have nostalgia for it.

Translating that experience to today wouldn’t be the same because audiences are very different in the way they digest info.

I understand feeling like it’s “barebones” in its appearance but imo it’s simple and to the point.

Reactions: imagin78
I think it’s the case people growing up and loving everything with rose colored glasses.

Of course the IOA preview center is the best thing in the world if you have nostalgia for it.

Translating that experience to today wouldn’t be the same because audiences are very different in the way they digest info.

I understand feeling like it’s “barebones” in its appearance but imo it’s simple and to the point.

I dont know
I'm looking at the video for the ioa preview and looks similar to the hhn tribute stores or the Jurassic Park store.
and those are very loved. I don't know if it's nostalgia. the hhn stores are amazing.

I don’t disagree

I think the problem is that the people that will be most interested in this model are the people on this forum.

I don’t disagree

I think the problem is that the people that will be most interested in this model are the people on this forum.
Walking in? Yes. Because we’re the ones who already know it’s there and know what’s actually on the model.

It’s impossible for us - the fans - to have a real understanding of how a family who knows nothing about Epic will view walking into the Center and seeing the model for the first time.

This reminds me of the Epcot preview model, and that worked great.

Okay I had to look up the IOA preview center since I never got to see it. Wow. That was like an attraction and yes, totally similar to the tribute stores we have today with the different themed rooms.

But I think that makes more sense for it being inside the park vs Epic Universe's being in CityWalk. And the model looks seriously impressive. I can't wait to see it in person.

Walking in? Yes. Because we’re the ones who already know it’s there and know what’s actually on the model.

It’s impossible for us - the fans - to have a real understanding of how a family who knows nothing about Epic will view walking into the Center and seeing the model for the first time.

This reminds me of the Epcot preview model, and that worked great.

And we're speaking from a position of weekly updates with aerials, rumors, etc (as @ReelJustice pointed out).

When we all visited the IOA Preview Center - we couldn't say the same thing. At least from my experience, that's where I learned we were even getting a new park.

I'd imagine a visiting family may not appreciate the model the same way us nerds do, but they'd be overwhelmed by what's being presented.

Things have changed so much in 25 years— video and even photo resolution was terrible then. You HAD to show everything in person through models and drawings. Even 20 years ago ride animations were still primitive and limited in size because most people had slow connections. Honestly they didn’t need a physical preview center at all for Epic, but I’m glad they did it.

The preview center is for those who already know Universal and probably already know about Epic as well. The bulk of selling the new park to casual or new audiences is through the online marketing presence.

This is about the best the internet could offer in 1999 (pictures had to be small): ThrillRide!

Things have changed so much in 25 years— video and even photo resolution was terrible then. You HAD to show everything in person through models and drawings. Even 20 years ago ride animations were still primitive and limited in size because most people had slow connections. Honestly they didn’t need a physical preview center at all for Epic, but I’m glad they did it.

The preview center is for those who already know Universal and probably already know about Epic as well. The bulk of selling the new park to casual or new audiences is through the online marketing presence.

This is about the best the internet could offer in 1999 (pictures had to be small): ThrillRide!

I do not miss HTML coding... :lol: Theme park updates have come a long way even in the last 15 years.

I just got a chance to watch the video and look at the photos @Brian G. posted in detail and just a couple of notes that were of interest to me--
  • The MexItalian restaurant is missing just like in the model shown on the reveal day (despite being in the flyover video and being so obviously under construction).
    DSC01719.jpg
  • They are showing HUGE nets under the HTTYD Sky Flys (which I actually don't hate because it kind of feels like theming, like the villagers would put up nets to catch anyone who falls out during training)
    DSC01557.jpg
  • Actually showing the flames on the windmill blades of the Burning Blade!
    DSC01631.jpg
I apologize if someone mentioned these before, but it feels like a firehose of info came out yesterday with the Preview Center reveal.