Epic Universe Preview Center | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Epic Universe Preview Center

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And not to mention there are two lands that have not seen any video production the likes of Celestial, SNW, or HTTYD. What if Universal plans to add more to the preview center than what they currently have once all properties have been fully announced? Maybe not, but what if? In my years, I've seen conversations like this, criticisms like this, "they should have done this instead of that", only to be forgotten once the actual experience comes to life. Nothing new under the sun...

Nothing will satisfy my desire to see Epic Universe details until I'm standing in the park. The preview center truly is made to grab hold of every last visitor that walks out the exit of Citywalk and to the garages. This is UO's Mecca of advertising opportunities. It will accomplish what it should accomplish: driving attention and sales for next year's vacation.
Concept art of the ride and queues would be great to add.

We know what happens when one turns down the bonds formed with others.

images

Nothing is above reproach but like, what are we doing here? Is this really an issue here or is it another avenue for expressing anxieties in a further socially isolated society? This is yet another Potter lockers, Hagrid paths, or Sapphire Falls landscaping.
Ehhh, I’m not gonna say maybe there isn’t some of that going on, I think it’s just also the latest example of expectations not being met.

Now one could argue it’s a preview center so it’s a silly argument and maybe people just had way too high of expectations, but on the other hand it is also a world class theme park resort so people *should* be holding them to a high standard.

I personally think this preview center is perfectly fine and does its job extremely well by very quickly upon walking in making it known that Nintendo, HTTYD, Potter, and Monsters are all here and the huge model gives people a visual representation of what the park will look like and get them excited.

Sometimes simple is better, although I’m not going to fault someone who expected more. That being said, if you are in that camp that expected more, just know that this preview center is not aimed at you! You already know what Epic is and may already have trips planned.

Ehhh, I’m not gonna say maybe there isn’t some of that going on, I think it’s just also the latest example of expectations not being met.
This. It’s expectations not being met. And the biggest question - the crux of this current discussion - is where did those expectations come from? Because the ACTUAL answer is, “Not Universal.” It’s easy to say it’s Universal, when their last preview center was what it was, but that is why the immediate refutation of “This isn’t like in 1998” is “It’s not 1998!”

Universal made no promises over what this preview center would be like. Which means our expectations should have been nil. And yet, fans continuously get hyped over fan-centric blue sky and then complain when expectations (that they and only they set for themselves) don’t meet reality.

Last edited:
This. It’s expectations not being met. And the biggest question - the crux of this current discussion - is where did those expectations come? Because the ACTUAL answer is, “Not Universal.” It’s easy to say it’s Universal, when their last preview center was what it was, but that is why the immediate refutation of “This isn’t like in 1998” is “It’s not 1998!”

Universal made no promises over what this preview center would be like. Which means our expectations should have been nil. And yet, fans continuously get hyped over fan-centric blue sky and then complain when expectations (that they and only they set for themselves) don’t meet reality.

For posterity's sake, here's what the PR email stated regarding the Preview Center:

Guests will have the chance to check out a massive model offering a bird’s-eye view of the entire park, highlighting many of the attractions and experiences coming to the new theme park. Guests will also be able to see exciting elements of the model come to life via augmented reality on compatible mobile devices, shop a variety of brand-new collections of Epic Universe merchandise, and pose for pictures with unique backgrounds themed to each of the park’s five spectacular worlds.

For posterity's sake, here's what the PR email stated regarding the Preview Center:

Guests will have the chance to check out a massive model offering a bird’s-eye view of the entire park, highlighting many of the attractions and experiences coming to the new theme park. Guests will also be able to see exciting elements of the model come to life via augmented reality on compatible mobile devices, shop a variety of brand-new collections of Epic Universe merchandise, and pose for pictures with unique backgrounds themed to each of the park’s five spectacular worlds.
Sounds like they delivered exactly what they promised.

Well I wasn't expecting it to go on like that. :neutral:

Everyone here has said the IOA Preview was better. The point that was argued was that it's a product of a different era of marketing, in a larger venue, and not aimed at the forum nerd; and the only real counterpoint to any of those points is "Well it can still be pretty and do the same".
Even ignoring the IOA preview center it seems like the tribute stores and the Universal Legacy Store had more going for it atmospherically and thematically (props, photos, lighting effects, etc.) to tell a story about what you're seeing. It's an observation more than complaining (speaking for myself).

That's why I asked this earlier:
* Question to people who've been there: do the screens within each portal show information about the park or is it just those still images showing what the land like is within the portal?
I was trying to gauge how this preview center was set up and how informative it actually is. Other questions I have include: Is there music? Is there mention of Stella Nova and Terra Luna? Does it indicate the park is actually separate from the current resort? Anything related to Celestial Park/general lore? Or is it pretty much a very gorgeous model in a room?

Those are the kinds of things I would expect to find in a preview center like this if the goal is to inform visitors (non-forum nerds ;)) about the new park and tease what the experience would be like, not just how it looks. If I don't know what EU is all about, is the model alone enough to convey that information other than it's a new theme park? Is what makes EU stand out and be a reason to come back to the resort explained here?

Ultimately, it's just a silly argument (and even sillier that I keep engaging despite my efforts to try to move on).
Hey, some of us need to work through the user rankings somehow!

And the biggest question - the crux of this current discussion - is where did those expectations come?
Disney? :p

pc_20120427_2061936618.jpg
(source)

Universal made no promises over what this preview center would be like. Which means our expectations should have nil.
I agree. At the same time if they hadn't built one before there wouldn't be something to compare it to. There's other threads with comparisons to previous projects like when we're comparing Kongrontation to Skull Island. In this case it was about the difference bewteen preview centers for a new theme park.

To Nick's point about standards, I didn't think it was bad to question why wasn't there a little more. My intention on the discussion was more inquisitive than accusatory. I would've completely avoided it if it was going to stir up this much commotion!

That answers a lot of questions for sure. :)

...other hand it is also a world class theme park resort so people *should* be holding them to a high standard.

Nick, I agree with your post except this one bit. This is a world-class theme park experience, it's just not what some wanted. The model is great (minus some touch-ups on the second day of operation) and the AR stuff is industry leading for a theme park. It comes back to @Legacy's point on expectations.

Reactions: Nick
Even ignoring the IOA preview center it seems like the tribute stores and the Universal Legacy Store had more going for it atmospherically and thematically (props, photos, lighting effects, etc.) to tell a story about what you're seeing. It's an observation more than complaining (speaking for myself).

This is not a knock whatsoever as I also love the Tribute Stores - but they're using leftover props. Ever notice there's a little "samey" feeling to them? The Monster Hideaway is a mix of the Hula Boutique in 2022 and the first Dead Coconut Club. Again, I love their work - and they're awesomely creative at reinterpreting the props for each new layover, but they have over 30 years of props (especially from HHN) in storage to pick from.

I was trying to gauge how this preview center was set up and how informative it actually is. Other questions I have include: Is there music? Is there mention of Stella Nova and Terra Luna? Does it indicate the park is actually separate from the current resort? Anything related to Celestial Park/general lore? Or is it pretty much a very gorgeous model in a room?

Those are the kinds of things I would expect to find in a preview center like this if the goal is to inform visitors (non-forum nerds ;)) about the new park and tease what the experience would be like, not just how it looks. If I don't know what EU is all about, is the model alone enough to convey that information other than it's a new theme park? Is what makes EU stand out and be a reason to come back to the resort explained here?

Media only had an hour, so it was tough trying to enjoy what you're seeing, process it, and then cover it in that short time. From what I saw - the AR provided info only for what was announced. Anything still in the dark had "coming soon". I did not, however, see anything for the Luna/Nova hotels. IDK if that's because I didn't see it or it's not there, though. I also didn't spend as much time with the AR as I was too busy combing through the model for minor details (Like tiny Gator ATV!).

As far as music - it sounded like it would belong in Celestial Park. It was definitely original.

This is not a knock whatsoever as I also love the Tribute Stores - but they're using leftover props. Ever notice there's a little "samey" feeling to them? The Monster Hideaway is a mix of the Hula Boutique in 2022 and the first Dead Coconut Club. Again, I love their work - and they're awesomely creative at reinterpreting the props for each new layover, but they have over 30 years of props (especially from HHN) in storage to pick from.
Creative reuage of props definitely isn't a bad thing! Plus recognizing how props are reused becomes a fun easter egg hunt. If they did use old props to add to the atmosphere it could've also doubled as a sublte nod to their history while you're looking at their future.

As far as music - it sounded like it would belong in Celestial Park. It was definitely original.
Awesome, that's a good thing to look forward to as well! Thanks for the reply. :)

Creative reuage of props definitely isn't a bad thing! Plus recognizing how props are reused becomes a fun easter egg hunt. If they did use old props to add to the atmosphere it could've also doubled as a sublte nod to their history while you're looking at their future.

Again - not a knock. Just that they have more free resources available at their disposal.

Reactions: IzzyB
Literally overheard the barbers at my barbershop in Miami today talking about Epic Universe. I was too shy to chime in but they got most of the info right (they thought Jurassic World was going to be a land too). It really is a different time and people are aware this is coming, thanks to social media which didn't exist back then.

And to hear someone say Celestial Park outside of this forum was wild. :lmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Nico

Now one could argue it’s a preview center so it’s a silly argument and maybe people just had way too high of expectations, but on the other hand it is also a world class theme park resort so people *should* be holding them to a high standard.

I personally think this preview center is perfectly fine and does its job extremely well by very quickly upon walking in making it known that Nintendo, HTTYD, Potter, and Monsters are all here and the huge model gives people a visual representation of what the park will look like and get them excited.

Sometimes simple is better, although I’m not going to fault someone who expected more. That being said, if you are in that camp that expected more, just know that this preview center is not aimed at you! You already know what Epic is and may already have trips planned.

This. It’s expectations not being met. And the biggest question - the crux of this current discussion - is where did those expectations come? Because the ACTUAL answer is, “Not Universal.” It’s easy to say it’s Universal, when their last preview center was what it was, but that is why the immediate refutation of “This isn’t like in 1998” is “It’s not 1998!”

Nick, I agree with your post except this one bit. This is a world-class theme park experience, it's just not what some wanted. The model is great (minus some touch-ups on the second day of operation) and the AR stuff is industry leading for a theme park. It comes back to @Legacy's point on expectations.

i imagine the team at universal working so hard to get this amazing huge model for everyone to see, expecting people to be amazed by it lol, a model that is accessible for free, and, they see all the negative comments lol :lol:
it made me laugh a little lol.

Reactions: IzzyB
I think the combination of the online revels and the Preview Center will work well as a marketing strategy.

One question. Is Stella Luna/Terra Nova Resorts mentioned in the Preview Center?

From an earlier post:

I did not, however, see anything for the Luna/Nova hotels. IDK if that's because I didn't see it or it's not there, though. I also didn't spend as much time with the AR as I was too busy combing through the model for minor details (Like tiny Gator ATV!).

This is a theme park discussion board. It’s all “silly.”

Which preview center sells the product more effectively to people who wander in off the street without advanced knowledge?

The “different era” argument grossly oversimplifies complex cultural, technological, social, and economic changes. In an era of social media, for instance, wouldn’t you want a preview center that looks spectacular when images are plastered on Twitter or Facebook? A model is a great example of something that may be fascinating in person but appears unimpressive in photos. To pick another example, EU is a park built by a resort directly competing with the king of the industry, its local rival. IOA wasn’t. You’d expect that to be reflected in the preview space.
I disagree a model is not a good way to get photos on social media. I have seen some fantastic photos that almost show what the park will look like once there. I think the model is perfect for photos and social media advertising. Sure taking from a distance is not the best, but the close ups people have gotten are amazing.
I'd wager a good portion of the people on these forums never experienced the IOA Preview Center in person, but only wanted a preview center for Epic Universe based on the quality (real or just perceived) of that original experience.
When was the IOA preview centers open? I was there in December of 1998 and I don't remember visiting it if I did. I remember some construction at the time and knew there was another park being built based on that. But I don't know that we went into the preview center. If I did I surely don't remember it and I doubt anyone who did remembers it that well. So in the end does it matter? Not really. It is a tool for people to know a park is coming who visit the existing parks. I think it did that well.