Epic Universe Ticketing Speculation | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Epic Universe Ticketing Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It will be interesting to see how much of a marketing blitz Universal/NBC do for Epic. I imagine the NBC news crews to do in park shows for at least a couple of days to at most a week (Today Show, Jimmy Fallon, etc). Plus ad buys and commercials.
They'll need to do a lot. Earlier this month, like last year on our long WDW vacation, we talked to a lot of fellow 'tourists' that were not from Florida. And, like last year, no one knew about Epic being built and opening next year. Of course, that's anecdotal, but a decent snapshot of the general tourist theme park going public. Universal has it's work cut out for them. No doubt they'll get a ton of Epic visitors from Central Florida. It's the rest of the country that they need to inform. Universal doesn't have the rep that Disney does.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
They'll need to do a lot. Earlier this month, like last year on our long WDW vacation, we talked to a lot of fellow 'tourists' that were not from Florida. And, like last year, no one knew about Epic being built and opening next year. Of course, that's anecdotal, but a decent snapshot of the general tourist theme park going public. Universal has it's work cut out for them. No doubt they'll get a ton of Epic visitors from Central Florida. It's the rest of the country that they need to inform.
And FL Residents typically rely on FL Resident specific discounts/APs to visit the park, so asking them to pay full price on a 1-day ticket may not be well-received if Universal wants to follow a similar model to DL SWGE's opening.

Right now you can get a $259 WDW 4-Day ticket ($59 per day) or $235 at UOR for 4-Days.

I'm not too worried about word of mouth spreading across the country/world about Epic Universe, the issue is if pricing becomes a significant barrier. It costs a lot of money to visit Orlando nowadays for the average family.

Reactions: IzzyB and Mad Dog
And FL Residents typically rely on FL Resident specific discounts/APs to visit the park, so asking them to pay full price on a 1-day ticket may not be well-received if Universal wants to follow a similar model to DL SWGE's opening.

Right now you can get a $259 WDW 4-Day ticket ($59 per day) or $235 at UOR for 4-Days.

I'm not too worried about word of mouth spreading across the country/world about Epic Universe, the issue is if pricing becomes a significant barrier. It costs a lot of money to visit Orlando nowadays for the average family.
Yes, Florida residents are kind of spoiled with the extra low rates they pay for AP's, tickets and hotels. Wish we out of staters could get those same costs.

I honestly think no APs upgrades for a while. Attendance is down, but how much of the attendance being down is due to people waiting for the new park to open? Why go this year when you can wait a year? I'd imagine the plan would be to just sell Epic tickets for a while. Its not like they are locked into anything. If demand is truly bad and in 2 or 3 weeks they aren't getting the numbers they want, they can lower prices, open APs, give free tickets, close the park, whatever they really want. The other part is WHEN are they selling tickets compared to when the park actually opens. A few weeks ahead of time? Probably not enough time to really gauge demand. But if they start selling tickets in like January for a April opening, you can also pivot.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I honestly think no APs upgrades for a while. Attendance is down, but how much of the attendance being down is due to people waiting for the new park to open? Why go this year when you can wait a year? I'd imagine the plan would be to just sell Epic tickets for a while. Its not like they are locked into anything. If demand is truly bad and in 2 or 3 weeks they aren't getting the numbers they want, they can lower prices, open APs, give free tickets, close the park, whatever they really want. The other part is WHEN are they selling tickets compared to when the park actually opens. A few weeks ahead of time? Probably not enough time to really gauge demand. But if they start selling tickets in like January for a April opening, you can also pivot.
Attendance is down at WDW also, and they're not opening a new park. It's the out of state tourism to USF and WDW that's down. Lots of on site hotel rooms available. and lots taken off line at WDW. Out of state tourists, who don't frequent theme park internet sites, barely know about Epic.

Attendance is down at WDW also, and they're not opening a new park. It's the out of state tourism to USF and WDW that's down. Lots of on site hotel rooms available. and lots taken off line at WDW. Out of state tourists, who don't frequent theme park internet sites, barely know about Epic.
I don't think that is true. I don't have any numbers or specific data to back it up, but just traveling through normal social media you see a ton of out of state people saying they are saving their trip for 2025. The announcements on Universal's pages have generated a ton of reactions and views. The out of state tourism being down makes exact sense to what I'm saying. If you are planning a trip to Universal, you probably know about Epic through research, and you probably want to wait the extra year. Just a quick view at the dark universe plays ONLY on the universal pages: Facebook 1.3M plays and twitter 700k views. Nintendo was bigger than that and shared by Nintendo's official page too.

I don't think that is true. I don't have any numbers or specific data to back it up, but just traveling through normal social media you see a ton of out of state people saying they are saving their trip for 2025. The announcements on Universal's pages have generated a ton of reactions and views. The out of state tourism being down makes exact sense to what I'm saying. If you are planning a trip to Universal, you probably know about Epic through research, and you probably want to wait the extra year. Just a quick view at the dark universe plays ONLY on the universal pages: Facebook 1.3M plays and twitter 700k views. Nintendo was bigger than that and shared by Nintendo's official page too.

It's true. Attendance is down.

It's true. Attendance is down.
Sorry, what I meant is that I know attendance is down in Orlando, but I feel like Epic has a sizable part to a lot of it (even Disney). Its hard to judge considering when is the last time a park of this size has opened in Orlando? Way before social media really existed.

Sorry, what I meant is that I know attendance is down in Orlando, but I feel like Epic has a sizable part to a lot of it (even Disney). Its hard to judge considering when is the last time a park of this size has opened in Orlando? Way before social media really existed.

Possibly. It's also possible the bubble burst after the vacation rush post-COVID. I don't think it's any one thing.

Yet people I worked with at my last company who come to Orlando on a regular basis (one was even moving to Florida this year) had no clue there was a new park being built until I told them. I think you really are overestimating the amount of people who know and who are waiting for their trip. Because after I told them the one co-worker was still trying to come down this year to go to Disney.

Possibly. It's also possible the bubble burst after the vacation rush post-COVID. I don't think it's any one thing.
I agree a large part is bubble popping. When we did Spring Break I thought it was just because of the odd week OCPS had, but when I went to Myrtle Beach it was the same thing. We no longer had to wait to be seated at restaurants and mini-golf was back to hardly any lines. It seems to be a trend all over. I think most people who would travel this year already had their plans made before they found out about Epic, if they even know now.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
The key to your remark is 'social media' Sure theme park social media is largely aware. It's all those masses that aren't on theme park social media that are largely unaware when it comes to Epic. When you're dealing with people of your personal demographic, chances are they'll have somewhat similar interests. Thats the computers at work...and...new parks don't necessarily get the wild initial year attendance that many think they do. They do OK, but not great.

Last edited:
Reactions: IzzyB
I watched a Youtube video where the guy was claiming he heard rumors the park is opening May/June but the months leading up to that they would let press and bloggers in to spread the world out

If true that would help a good deal depending on who they get some people get millions of views and thats not nothing if you have a solid product people will like and this new park pretty much appeals to everyone. Nintendo, Monsters, Harry Potter, How to Train Your Dragon all hit many different demos.

So to me I think it will be a slam dunk if marketed correctly, I think letting APs preview makes sense to get the word out as well. They could play it safe and let APs upgrade after summer....but until this summer SNW at both USH and Japan alone have done very well and Epic not only is getting Nintendo but a new Potter land as well.

I watched a Youtube video where the guy was claiming he heard rumors the park is opening May/June but the months leading up to that they would let press and bloggers in to spread the world out

If true that would help a good deal depending on who they get some people get millions of views and thats not nothing if you have a solid product people will like and this new park pretty much appeals to everyone. Nintendo, Monsters, Harry Potter, How to Train Your Dragon all hit many different demos.

So to me I think it will be a slam dunk if marketed correctly, I think letting APs preview makes sense to get the word out as well. They could play it safe and let APs upgrade after summer....but until this summer SNW at both USH and Japan alone have done very well and Epic not only is getting Nintendo but a new Potter land as well.
If May/June is correct, I'd imagine a crazy marketing push at the beginning of next year. Would make sense with Universal not wanting to effect the summer vacation for this year. I just think APs turned off to Epic for a while with flexibility to just change their minds if they aren't seeing the push you are hoping for. Maybe previews, maybe discounts for current annual passholders though so they aren't left out to dry and have a reason to continue.

Crucial it's marketed to people that actually buy hotel rooms and park tickets. Tons of people out there that click on, and comment, on theme park stuff but rarely, if ever, actually step into a park and spend money.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
The economy and overall uncertainty are a lot of it. Lots of entertainment venues are struggling. Concert tours are getting cancelled. Between the cost of food and pretty much everything, a lot of people are tightening up their budgets right now. Entertainment and vacations are historically the some of the first things people cut back on and this Summer is showing that. Some is certainly people holding off for Epic, but one can be contributing to the other.

I think a huge aspect of this park in popularity is how universal handles vloggers/influencers. There has not really been a new park like this opened in the US in the modern social media climate.

Universal Has been handing out gifts for the various announcements to what I would consider mid to small time YouTube type people I think this is money well spent more than most people realize at this point and also a perfect storm to combine with Olympics coverage that advertising takes on in the mainstream outlets.

Reactions: Thorin Groth
I'm assuming that official opening date information and all the hell that'll break loose with that will come the month after HP is revealed and I'm very interested in seeing how marketing pivots once we have details about a full park (disregarding DK, which I'm assuming is being held off until USJ knows what they're doing with it.) Grand Helios will probably have bookings open and maybe we get ticketing info then? I'm hoping that with AP's they will allow us to mix and match parks. Right now we can't get a solo VB pass but since Epic is on a different lot and a very different beast from a water park, maybe you can get a pass just for there?

No chance they’ll let people buy an Epic only AP. The two current parks would be ghost towns.
Fair point, especially since it'll be some time before the parks get their respective Nintendo updates to really bring people back in. I'd imagine that this tune could change way down the line when a second gate opens at the Epic property.

Do they make it like Disney where you don't get to choose specific parks and instead just purchase all three no matter what, with the addition of VB as an extra ~$80-150? The biggest issue I see with this is that all current AP holders can't just be upgraded for free to have Epic, so they're sort of stuck with needing to make it separate.