Evil Dead Rise (HHN 2023) | Inside Universal Forums

Evil Dead Rise (HHN 2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Evil Dead Rise brings guests to a new twisted tale, based on New Line Cinema’s return to the iconic horror franchise and 2023 box office hit. An ancient curse rises in a new setting: an L.A. apartment building. The Book of the Dead is about to unleash unimaginable horrors on you and your scream squad. Evil has come home.

Last edited:
I really hope this house doesn't feel like a cheap rehash of UHH, if they do it well it could feel completely different from Horror Hotel and be really good

Reactions: chris.g
Finally got around to watchin the movie, and gotta say, I really don't agree with what people say about UHH being functionally the same maze. The elevator, bathtub scene and the kitchen scene yeah, I can really see what was meant to be there, but honestly for 90% of the rest of it, it's kinda a mystery specifically what scenes are meant to go where. Really jumped up on my list after actually seeing it. (Best Evil Dead movie since 2 imo dont @ me)

On the topic, I really hope we somehow see the fused-deadite behemoth somewhere at the end, maybe where the sacrifice at the end of UHH was? Would bet on a setup similar to the 2013 finale with a live actor chainsaw-ing a static figure into a wood chipper.

Finally got around to watchin the movie, and gotta say, I really don't agree with what people say about UHH being functionally the same maze. The elevator, bathtub scene and the kitchen scene yeah, I can really see what was meant to be there, but honestly for 90% of the rest of it, it's kinda a mystery specifically what scenes are meant to go where. Really jumped up on my list after actually seeing it. (Best Evil Dead movie since 2 imo dont @ me)

On the topic, I really hope we somehow see the fused-deadite behemoth somewhere at the end, maybe where the sacrifice at the end of UHH was? Would bet on a setup similar to the 2013 finale with a live actor chainsaw-ing a static figure into a wood chipper.
I think I saw where the fused creature was supposed to go...
I'm thinking in that "endless hallway" with the mirror effect/peppers ghost.... I remember seeing a hallway like that where it seemed like a huge creature was supposed to go originally.

I think this actually looks great based off of these photos. Lots of life, and it feels less empty than UHH.

While you can certainly tell UHH was the skeleton this was built upon and like-wise UHH was a little bit "rushed"...
This does look pretty detailed and differentiates itself enough that I think still has a chance to feel "fresh" and stand as a pretty good maze.
I'm excited to see how this is gonna turn out given the venue was made to house a maze and is indoors. UHH felt pretty immersive last year due to that IMO. I think Murdy said there was some unused space in the maze as well. I wonder if the maze was extended to make use of that.

Reactions: TableYe
The only house so far that has really disappointed me. Maybe I just had a bad run but like... idk. As of right now, I personally preferred UHH. But on my next visit I'll give this another run and see if it gets any better

Ik that if UHH wouldn’t had happened; this would one of the top houses for many
I mention this for my review and openly admit as such. On my first run through of UHH, I said it was the top house last year. It eventually lowered a notch because Scarecrow improved over the season, but UHH was still a knock out of the park for me, especially under the circumstances. By the time EDR came though, it just felt way too familiar. I wish they changed it up just a bit more. I understand budgetary reasons and that 99% of the guests won't know the difference, but I think it really would've helped it overall if they at least mixed around some scenes. I always thought the bathtub was weird as an opener for UHH and feels even more weird now for EDR. It's still a good maze, insanely intense, but it feels basically like a repeat in my book -- which is fine, I'm not a repeat hater -- but the familiarity brings it down a few notches. Still would say it's better than ST4, Unmasked, and even Exorcist though (although I can see that easily changing by the end of the run for those latter two mazes if they improve).

Did a 2nd run of this house today (first one being on opening night, didn't really enjoy it that day) and it was really good! Feel bad for not liking it the first go-around but had a fun run today.
Evil Deaed Rise GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

I just didn't love this maze. It's not bad to me it's just kinda basic and feel like we could have just had a more interesting theme.

For sure, 100% Demon Slayer would have been a much better time (I know it was a rumor) but my point is this maze would have easily been the maze I could have seen be anything else and be ok with it.

If you enjoy it cool but compared to the mazes we got this year, it feels like Six Flags compared to the quality of mazes like Chucky and Last of Us