Expanding Thrill Rides | Inside Universal Forums

Expanding Thrill Rides

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dec 5, 2009
Orlando
I've only just recently returned from a long sabbatical from OU and have come back to see all sorts of amazing ideas for new attractions at IOA now that Potter phase 1 is complete and phase 2 is under way at USF. We can all understand that financially, these concepts may be years away from realization but I would like to get your input on where/what is needed or indeed even on the table, for those of you with that "insider" knowledge. Some of the better rides I have seen around the forums:

-The Raptor Encounter at Jurassic Park. Honestly, if this ties well into a potential Jurassic Park IV, it could very well be the deal breaker that puts Universal in the forefront of the theme park attendance race in Orlando. Especially with the addition of more realistic AA's and a brilliant pre-show with Helicoptours.

-Mount Crumpit. If this ride ever takes off, I would very seriously consider renewing my annual pass just for this. Whether it be a dark ride or a family coaster (indoor), it could rejuvenate Suess Landing and provide for a renewed adult interest in what has notoriously been a "kids only" island.

-Return of Island Skipper Tours. I know, this doesn't necessarily qualify as a "thrill ride", but this experience in conjunction with a new Jurassic Park expansion could solidify the attendance rises associated with Potter phase 2.

-Lost Continent into Lord of the Rings. While this does seem EXTREMELY unlikely, just from a licensing standpoint, if well executed, this could destroy Disney in terms of attractions based on popular IP's. I expect Disney to easily recover financially in California with a new Marvel land/attraction, but the interim would cushion Universal Orlando well into development of their next major IP.

-Lost Continent into Transylvania (Van Helsing). A successful reboot of the film franchise could very easily turn this into a viable financial option for Creative, and give them the opportunity to use previous design concepts to establish a completely new attraction. Though I'm not personally inclined to see the appeal in this, many others have expressed interest and the obvious associations could easily translate into another HHN crossover for the parks.

It has been a long time since I've posted here guys, and I would really like to get involved in another serious discussion about the future of one of our favorite parks! Which of these do you think more likely to appear, if any, and are there other ideas I have overlooked?

Welcome back :happy:

- I would love to see JP get that long rumored Jeep ride.

- A family ride is the one thing I think IOA could use and so something being added to Suess would be great. The only thing I know and hear are the rumbling from our insiders hear on this site.

- Anything to bring some life and activity to the lagoon would be much welcomed.

- Who knows what will ever come out of Lost Continent but I can imagine its days are numbered.

I think Lost Continent is too small of an area for a LOTR attraction...which won't happen anyway. Would be pretty cool to have a replica "Shire" though.

Welcome back :happy:

- I would love to see JP get that long rumored Jeep ride.

- A family ride is the one thing I think IOA could use and so something being added to Suess would be great. The only thing I know and hear are the rumbling from our insiders hear on this site.

- Anything to bring some life and activity to the lagoon would be much welcomed.

- Who knows what will ever come out of Lost Continent but I can imagine its days are numbered.

Thanks! I feel like I've been missing out since I left.

But really, do you think IOA really needs more kids rides? If they were more well rounded and appealed to a wider age group they could probably be successful, but considering they already have teacups, all the attractions in Suess landing, as well as Hippogriff, they don't seem to be lacking.

Me personally, I think they they could use something for the under 35" crowd but dont think its necessary. Take my family for example, Its myself, my wife and our two kids (1-1/2yr and 2-1/2yr old) we go to IOA and there really isnt too much for the little ones to ride beside carousel and Suess ride. So the parent side of me says something for the whole family would be nice while the rollercoaster junky in me says build something fast and big the kids will grow up :lol:

Well, if they were very committed to developing new attractions for the other islands in the long run, I would think that they could safely remove the Toon Lagoon theater and free up quite a bit of space for something. Even more if they were to take over some of Spiderman's extended queue. I see where you're coming from with the little ones, and I almost wish that Universal could develop something similar to the ride outside the Mummy in Singapore, a kind of Jeep exploration through Egytian mummy dig sites. It would potentially work in Jurassic Park where the triceratops are now. Have the kids go on a little safari and see baby dinosaurs, not only cuter and safer for the kids but also much cheaper for Universal than building full size dinosaur AA's.

And for some reason, I can't stop thinking about a Garfield attraction in Toon Lagoon. Something about lasagna. Maybe I'm hungry.

Am I the only person not excited about a jeep ride? Sounds boring and too similar to JPRA

The concepts for the two are very similar: Board ride vehicle, tour peaceful area full of herbivores, some chaos ensues, and we come face to face with the man eating dinosaurs.

If JP gets a new ride, I'm in favor of the amber mine train coaster going into the Triceratops encounter plot.

The concepts for the two are very similar: Board ride vehicle, tour peaceful area full of herbivores, some chaos ensues, and we come face to face with the man eating dinosaurs.

If JP gets a new ride, I'm in favor of the amber mine train coaster going into the Triceratops encounter plot.

Once again, it just seems unfeasible for them to add to Jurassic Park without another film to back it up. As much as I love Jurassic Park (the books, the movies, some of the games, ESPECIALLY the island), Universal can't commit themselves to a significant investment in this franchise considering just how old its becoming. Although I will personally high five you if they just commit to a mine train under/around the amber mines in Camp Jurassic. Couldn't be more appropriate. Too bad that Gringotts is kind of taking this concept though, otherwise it would seem more plausible.

Once again, it just seems unfeasible for them to add to Jurassic Park without another film to back it up. As much as I love Jurassic Park (the books, the movies, some of the games, ESPECIALLY the island), Universal can't commit themselves to a significant investment in this franchise considering just how old its becoming. Although I will personally high five you if they just commit to a mine train under/around the amber mines in Camp Jurassic. Couldn't be more appropriate. Too bad that Gringotts is kind of taking this concept though, otherwise it would seem more plausible.

Vaguely same ride systems doesn't stop Uni Creative from cranking out amazing e-tickets. Gringotts is already going to be similar Mummy when it opens but that just means that we have two great, indoor coasters in the park: no real negative in that situation. The amber mine would be more like a hybrid of BTMR and SDMT based on the rumors anyway, a type of themed coaster Uni does not have yet.

But if they are seriously considering inserting something into Jurassic Park it would either have to be something cheap and thrilling for younger visitors, or something new and unique and creative (ala FJ). Those are the only two expansion types I could realistically see them attempting, and the expensive new ride system could only be viable with a new film to back up guest interest in returning to a 13 year old island.

The next addition to Islands of Adventure will be a family ride. It's the most logical thing. Just because a new movie comes out does not mean things need to be synergized and have a new attractions. Terminator 3 and 4 have came out since T2:3D opened, Shrek has been through countless sequels, Mummy 3, MIB 3, etc, etc. Jurassic Park can support the expansion and needs something regular.

With that being said, though, are they going to be wasting their time/money with a new JP ride? I am completely hoping for updates in JP soon but am I part of a minority?

You do realize that theme park attractions based on movies are more often than not built because they are popular and still have brand recognition? Jurassic Park is and will always be a classic, and for that reason alone, a new ride in JP will be worth it for both Uni to build and fans to visit.

That's how I hope everyone feels, because it would be a serious waste if they were to leave Triceratops Encounter unused. So many advances in technology have been made since that Island was conceived, the possibilities for an amazing new experience are endless. It should be as much common sense for Universal as it is for us to go forward with a JP update.

They really need to do something with Triceratops Encounter. Such a waste that it sits there dormant most of the time. I will be happy with really anything they build there just as long as the finally utilize the space, much like with SS44 and happy they are adding to the Jurassic Park area. I would rather see them add to the JP area versus adding something to Suess

Well I suppose the question now is, once they've completed this huge burst of construction on their hands and they have recovered some of the development costs, where will they be directing their attention next? We were talking about Mt Crumpit and the Amber train in JP but does anyone else have an idea about where the Universal Creative gun is aiming next?

If you think about it that is quite a bit of knowledge that not even WDW fans know in comparison. Something will leak eventually but right now if the JP and Seuss concepts are true than we have he next five or six years to go on. Once we get closer to those later projects gonig we will here more.

My sources are telling me prep work has already started in JP and real construction should start after Transformers wraps up. From what I am hearing, color me interested. The rumors are exciting.

As for now the Seuss project has been shelved.

Sidebar: UC is in negotiations with the impossible IP. But I can't expand on it now.