Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2 | Page 45 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Meh, it's an internet game. Wonder why they contrived to make Gaston into a 'good guy' instead of just going with the Seven Dwarfs ride...

If you play through til the end, after you "win" the apple in the crest jumps out and the Evil Queen from Snow White flashes on the screen. That said, they could have replaced Belle with the Beast and put Belle where Gaston was. Still though, it's a nice site.

Last edited:
I got to experience New Fantasyland on Friday. I may expand later but here are a few quick thoughts. I thought, overall, that it was just okay. Enchanted Tales with Belle was very neat and I am sure kids will really love it. Lumiere is amazing! Be our Guest is very beautiful, especially the ballroom. I had Tuna Nicoise salad which was very good but the price was a little much. I ate in the West Wing near the rose, it was a cool effect but the west wing overall felt a little underwhelming. Gaston's Tavern was nice but a little small, and Lafou's brew was pretty good but I could not finish the entire thing, the foam was a bit sour. LM was a not the greatest ride, and I was disappointed with the animatronics throughout. Ariel's hair in Under the sea is ridiculously bad. I thought the ride was okay and will be a nice way to get out of the heat. It reminded me of a ride that theme parks would have built in the 90's.
One of the things that made me the most upset was that it was supposed to be a passholder preview but they let anyone in. It was a waste of my time to sign up for the preview and check in before the event. What is the point of a having a "preview" if everyone can come in.

One of the things that made me the most upset was that it was supposed to be a passholder preview but they let anyone in. It was a waste of my time to sign up for the preview and check in before the event. What is the point of a having a "preview" if everyone can come in.

My thoughts exactly. I went for my passholder preview yesterday only to find they were letting regular guests in too :fist: I had to wait 35 minutes for TLM. Good ride but I won't wait more than 15 minutes. BOG was amazing (I ate in the Ballroom)! I had the grilled steak sandwich and would get it again if it weren't for the price.

Got to do the Tables in Wonderland preview of BoG last night. The decor is the first thing in FLE to truly "wow" me. The Ballroom is amazing--the snow!--but that West Wing. I mean it as a compliment when I say I wish it was a dark ride instead, perfectly captures the look and feel of the movie that actually inspired it. The clock/calendar at the center of Belle's room is just amazing as well. Even the little touches, like drink fountains hidden behind drapes. It's clear this is where the majority of creative effort went, and it pays off.

It was cool last night, so my friends and I all went for soup, not salad. The French Onion did nothing for me. Not the worst ever, but nowhere near the best--stock was too weak. But that Potato and Leak soup--a new top 5 favorite food at WDW. Wasn't expecting much but it was sublime. I would almost recommend making a cheap dinner out of that and dessert but I'm jumping ahead.

The mains were a mixed bag. The good first--the ratatouille was delicious. Flavorful as as all get out with nice earthy notes. I'm a carnivore but next time I'd get this. The pork chop was also good, if a bit salty; the home-style mac & cheese was quite good, as well. Would get it again. Not a seafood eater, but my friend liked the shrimp, sauce and puff pastry in the shrimp & scallops meal--unfortunately, the scallops were all grainy with sand. Acceptable at a beachside shack, but not the kind of place this is pretending to be. Another friend and her mom got the steak--she thought it was flavorful, I found it even saltier than the pork chop, but in either case it was ridiculously grisly, she couldn't even chew much of it. For $40, I expect at least Longhorn quality, not Golden Corral. Wanted to send it back but she wouldn't let me.

I think we had one of every dessert--not a bad one in the lot. Best are the Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcake and the Chocolate Cream Puff, but the only one I might tweak would be the Triple Chocolate Cupcake, which needed a layer of raspberry preserves or something to cut the cloying sweetness. Still very good tho.

Service was poor. 25 minutes to get seated after our ADR time (again this is a special TiW event, they should have known who was coming). After clearing our dishes, our waiter took 20 minutes to return with the dessert cart--and it was pushing fireworks, so the place was clearing out fast. Plus our waiter was strangely casual--lines like "they're all good, but none are good for you!" I appreciate him being friendly, but that's more suited to the atmosphere of a Fridays than here.

Overall, definitely worth a visit to check it out, at least at lunch. The dining rooms alone are must-see attractions.

BTW, random rant, in the (far too small) bathroom, there's a sign saying the sink uses reclaimed water, don't drink it. So it's not safe to drink ... but it is safe enough to wash our hands in??? :stunned:

Reactions: Felipe
Best Passholder events I've been a part of we're Kong and the Mummy. HHN could be better though.

Got to do the Tables in Wonderland preview of BoG last night. The decor is the first thing in FLE to truly "wow" me. The Ballroom is amazing--the snow!--but that West Wing. I mean it as a compliment when I say I wish it was a dark ride instead, perfectly captures the look and feel of the movie that actually inspired it. The clock/calendar at the center of Belle's room is just amazing as well. Even the little touches, like drink fountains hidden behind drapes. It's clear this is where the majority of creative effort went, and it pays off.

It was cool last night, so my friends and I all went for soup, not salad. The French Onion did nothing for me. Not the worst ever, but nowhere near the best--stock was too weak. But that Potato and Leak soup--a new top 5 favorite food at WDW. Wasn't expecting much but it was sublime. I would almost recommend making a cheap dinner out of that and dessert but I'm jumping ahead.

The mains were a mixed bag. The good first--the ratatouille was delicious. Flavorful as as all get out with nice earthy notes. I'm a carnivore but next time I'd get this. The pork chop was also good, if a bit salty; the home-style mac & cheese was quite good, as well. Would get it again. Not a seafood eater, but my friend liked the shrimp, sauce and puff pastry in the shrimp & scallops meal--unfortunately, the scallops were all grainy with sand. Acceptable at a beachside shack, but not the kind of place this is pretending to be. Another friend and her mom got the steak--she thought it was flavorful, I found it even saltier than the pork chop, but in either case it was ridiculously grisly, she couldn't even chew much of it. For $40, I expect at least Longhorn quality, not Golden Corral. Wanted to send it back but she wouldn't let me.

I think we had one of every dessert--not a bad one in the lot. Best are the Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcake and the Chocolate Cream Puff, but the only one I might tweak would be the Triple Chocolate Cupcake, which needed a layer of raspberry preserves or something to cut the cloying sweetness. Still very good tho.

Service was poor. 25 minutes to get seated after our ADR time (again this is a special TiW event, they should have known who was coming). After clearing our dishes, our waiter took 20 minutes to return with the dessert cart--and it was pushing fireworks, so the place was clearing out fast. Plus our waiter was strangely casual--lines like "they're all good, but none are good for you!" I appreciate him being friendly, but that's more suited to the atmosphere of a Fridays than here.

Overall, definitely worth a visit to check it out, at least at lunch. The dining rooms alone are must-see attractions.

BTW, random rant, in the (far too small) bathroom, there's a sign saying the sink uses reclaimed water, don't drink it. So it's not safe to drink ... but it is safe enough to wash our hands in??? :stunned:

Do they send out emails for these Tables In Wonderland events? I'm a member and never hear about anything going on :lol:

So yeah, I work in the water, waste water industry and noway I would wash my hands in a reclaimed water sink.

From Wikipedia
Reclaimed water or recycled water, is former wastewater (sewage) that is treated to remove solids and certain impurities, and used in sustainable landscaping irrigation or to recharge groundwater aquifers. The purpose of these processes is sustainability and water conservation, rather than discharging the treated water to surface waters such as rivers and oceans.

From Southwest Florida Water Managment

Reclaimed water is a clear and odorless high-quality water source for irrigating industrial and natural systems needs.

It can be used for:
Irrigation
Street-sweeping operations
Power generation
Decorative fountains
Fire protection (purple fire hydrants)
Dust control
Aquifer recharge
Cooling or makeup water for a variety of industrial processes
Natural system restoration

It can’t be used for:
Body-contact recreation (including swimming pools)
Cooking or drinking
Irrigating vegetable and herb gardens (unless a drip or bubbler system is used)

Last edited:

:stunned: Wow! Your server must have been really upset at you! :lol: I think you mean Leek :p

Jokes aside, thanks for that truly great review! :thumbs:

The decor is the first thing in FLE to truly "wow" me. The Ballroom is amazing--the snow!--but that West Wing. I mean it as a compliment when I say I wish it was a dark ride instead, perfectly captures the look and feel of the movie that actually inspired it.

Yeah, there's a reason why the kitchen is undersized for the size of the restaurant AND all these amazing effects and set pieces were created. :thumbs:

@PaulChadkin posted the following new aspects of the park map....

[HASHTAG]#NewFantasyland[/HASHTAG] on the Magic Kingdom guidemap

iGjHpBsooaSDQ.jpg

Additionally, Mousesteps posted a video of the meetup event:

[video=youtube;Qo2BKhyJ4OM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2BKhyJ4OM[/video]

so by the map, it looks like they won't be completing the loop, at least not unitl the mine train is done. That's kind of annoying that you need to back track.

so by the map, it looks like they won't be completing the loop, at least not unitl the mine train is done. That's kind of annoying that you need to back track.

It is annoying. Storybook Circus is pretty much a corner right now. Speaking of SDMT, the entrance will be by the castle walls right?

by the concept art it looks that way...the entrance cottage is on the front left of the mountain.

- - - Updated - - -

I can see why they did it this way, as it will make it possible for work crews to contiue to function without having to "stop foot traffic" everytime they need to move materials.

When I was at HHN they acutually blocked off the road for a few minutes while a dumptruck made it's way to Transformers. Drunk people were still walking right in front of these large trucks regardless. It's gotta be a huge liability for Universal. I bet they are glad that HHN is finally over.

Everyone on site was glad when HHN was over this year. :lol:

Don't get too excited about that dragon.

From an insider on another site:

And what a colossal waste of time, energy and money have been devoted to that ridiculous Tumblr blog.

The modified ultralight was designed as a test to see if a flying dragon could be created without the need for guide wires. Unfortunately the fan and the need for the ultralight pilot to have unrestricted vision means that the dragon cannot fly at lower altitudes where he can be easily be seen. So he has been benched and will get an outing in two weeks. Millions of dollars of R&D for a marketing gimmick.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
More:

I gather the plan is to use him at night - the problem will still be trying to light him (if they even bother - they may choose to just show a silhouette).

I wouldn't say useless - but the size of the fan on the back and the need for the pilot to have unrestricted sight causes show problems. He can flap his wings and breathe fire - but he is no Lucky.

I wasn't impressed when I saw him at Bakersfield in the summer but it was broad daylight. I just don't think he can fly low enough to have an impact - unless you want to destroy the illusion.

R&D had high hopes for him and maybe they can continue to tweak the design to make him into a better show character. I do applaud the fact that they took such a gamble on him - he would be an incredible character if those engineering issues can be resolved.