Father Thrown Out of Universal Studios Over T-Shirt | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Father Thrown Out of Universal Studios Over T-Shirt

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This screams liability all over it for Universal if say something did happen say for example a burglary and you can guarantee some idiot will say a police man stood by and did nothing. Bad press for Uni and as others have said it is private property it is really up to Universal/their security's decision.

Think about a few scenarios a lost kid walks up to him? Bad situation all around. If a security guard came up to me and asked me to remove my shirt, I would certainly ask why, but not start acting like a cretin asking and demanding about policies as I wouldn't have a clue on half of them. I would expect them to offer me something to change into and I'm sure it wouldn't have escalated to this level.

Exactly...as bad PR as it may be to have an incident like this occur, letting this guy in (in Universal's eyes) had the chance for much worse consequences.

Think about a few scenarios a lost kid walks up to him? Bad situation all around. If a security guard came up to me and asked me to remove my shirt, I would certainly ask why, but not start acting like a cretin asking and demanding about policies as I wouldn't have a clue on half of them. I would expect them to offer me something to change into and I'm sure it wouldn't have escalated to this level.

Exactly. What is it with people who have so much pride that they refuse to do simple things. Is it that difficult to understand why Universal doesn't want a guy walking around with a "Police" shirt on? All he needed to do was ask for a new shirt, or the option to turn it inside out. Once you are on Universal property, you are under their control. If you don't like their policies or don't want to do as you are told, leave the park. Your problem, not theirs.

Just the fact the gentlemen is constantly wearing a shirt in public insinuating he is an official police officer when he isn't, tells me a lot about that person. This isn't similar to wearing a sports team, movie shirt, 911 commemorative hat, etc. in public. Generally, real police don't want to be recognized when they are off duty.

I don't see why the shirt is a big deal. People wear FBI shirts all the time:

fbi-black.gif

First off, this guy doesn't seem like the type of guy to cause a scene. Not under these circumstances anyway: with his family and daughter's friend for his daughter's 16th birthday..? Come on now. Someone telling me to remove my shirt or leave a theme park because of what's on it would probably have me asking a few questions before I complie

Second, well.. most security guards in Orlando (in my experience), are downright a**holes. Whether you're downtown, by UCF, or at the parks, they think they work for the secret service. It's annoying. They take their job waaaay too seriously, and they act as if they had been chosen by divine right to be a security guard when I can go take a class and get certified for the same thing. They like to display their "power" and it's really, really frustrating. That being said, I've met very reasonable and respectable security guards who know that they aren't cops and that their power is limited.

Third, I don't know what cops people are seeing in Orlando, but most if not all cops are wearing the required uniform, and if they're "undercover" or not in uniform, they almost always have a gun and badge on them, along with a bulletproof vest. I have never seen a cop wearing a shirt that says "POLICE" on it and that's it.. nothing else on him.

Regardless, Universal is a theme park that should be providing security and police force in a time of need. So, that being said, if a situation DID arise, and a cop was needed, there should be Universal-employed security or officers on the scene ASAP. There shouldn't be a need for this guy to get called over to help someone out or settle a situation based solely on the fact that his shirt says "police" on it. And if he does get asked, why is that his fault?

Again, to sum this up, I'm not saying this guy was in the right. Wearing a police shirt in a theme park, to me, doesn't seem like the best idea. But, it also doesn't seem like the wrong one. I wear a FDNY shirt (says "FDNY" in all caps) all the time to different places (HHN, for example) but no one runs up to me when there's a fire asking me to put it out.

If this was a posted rule then it's a different story entirely. But I had no knowledge of guests not being allowed to wear shirts like the one in the story, and lets just say Universal isn't known for voicing their rules too well.

FDNY stands for Fire Dept New York.If it just said Fire or Paramedic .You might get turned around.There is serious liability If some guest thinks this is a trustworthy person or turn to them in an emergency and gets hurt because of that.

Anyone remember the guy who wore all red and looked like Santa .He was barred entrance to Disney (I think) because someone MIGHT thinks he works there.

Asking for something in writing is verbal disagreement with the decision to ask you to change shirts.

I was told when entering park in evening hours "no water bottles" when I had just taken some in that morning .
I just threw them out .I guess at night I might be smuggling in clear booze or I just got a different guard who was enforicing the rule .That some others let slide.

I agree with the points made, this guy could have been a HUGE liability had something happened in the park for whatever reason and someone thought he was an officer. That being said, if something happens it's not his fault he wore that shirt and he should have been stopped in the parking garage if this rule was truly resort-wide, because every security guard would have known, and someone would have said something. It's like ordering a drink at a bar when you aren't 21 and the bartender giving you a drink. It's not your fault the bartender didn't ask for your ID, he should have known (or remembered) the rules. Security is the bartender. They should have known and should have told the man he couldn't wear the shirt, not catch up to him later and kick him out when he's about to watch a show he payed money for. Honestly I'd be pissed too.

This goes back to Universal not being vocal enough (or at all) when it comes to the rules. They like to dish them out when THEY want to, that's not how it should work. And this guy suffered.

@Kevin38 I know what FDNY stands for, but it doesn't mean that someone could think I'm vacationing from New York and I just HAPPEN to be a firefighter, and then ask me for help and I can't help them. Why should I pay for that?

Last edited:
First of all with your under 21 bar comparison, the person ordering broke the law just like the bar tender did. So your usage of the words "not your fault" is quite incorrect.

Secondly they are very clear about their rules. They can ask you to leave at any time for any reason as it is private property.

They are not going to have a giant board that says "You can't do the following....." for a variety of reasons. It's a waste of space, it would look bad, it would give idiots ideas, and it could never be all inclusive just to name a few.

Yes I know it is my own fault to order a drink under the age of 21, the point was that if you aren't enforcing the rules at ALL times, then why enforce them at all? They obviously AREN'T clear about all of their rules and you can ask a few people on these boards who know first hand.

This rule is fairly consistently enforced. They see clothing that is outside of the acceptable (costumes, clothing to look like TM wardrobe, clothing identifying as first responders, clothing with objectionable material on it) and they work to fix the problem. That is usually asking the guest to turn it inside out, buy a new shirt, or at times even give them a new shirt (since it is usually a shirt). I have seen that interaction probably around a hundred times at UO. I have seen a handful of them were the guest flips out and either threatens the team member, goes on some loud rant about how they hope the team member is happy with their life choices and getting paid crap, or goes on some loud rant about how they have rights. Those tend to not end well for the guest's day.

This rule is fairly consistently enforced. They see clothing that is outside of the acceptable (costumes, clothing to look like TM wardrobe, clothing identifying as first responders, clothing with objectionable material on it) and they work to fix the problem. That is usually asking the guest to turn it inside out, buy a new shirt, or at times even give them a new shirt (since it is usually a shirt). I have seen that interaction probably around a hundred times at UO. I have seen a handful of them were the guest flips out and either threatens the team member, goes on some loud rant about how they hope the team member is happy with their life choices and getting paid crap, or goes on some loud rant about how they have rights. Those tend to not end well for the guest's day.

Bingo! I'm leaning towards that being the case, since evidently originally they were good with him changing the shirt and then decided to bounce him. At one point during interactions with TMs about the shirt issue he must have gotten belligerent, and the ones that came up later telling him he needed to leave probably had knowledge of such an incident. I watched a foreign guest try to enter a Disney park with a blatant hentai shirt (full frontal nudity for the character on the shirt in a provocative pose, taking up pretty much the entire front), and he got pretty testy and didn't seem to get that a shirt like that isn't acceptable in a Disney park. He ended up being led backstage last I saw. Guests do tend to get testy when told their clothing isn't appropriate.

@Kevin38 I know what FDNY stands for, but it doesn't mean that someone could think I'm vacationing from New York and I just HAPPEN to be a firefighter, and then ask me for help and I can't help them. Why should I pay for that?

Yes but if some clueless guest ask's you for help they do not think you are an ON DUTY Orlando/Universal Firefighter/Police officer/Paramedic.

A cop has to be ready to help in a situation whether on or off duty, same goes for any licensed security guard, if a police official asks you to help it's time to help. There are also cops stationed at the parks that could easily get a bad rep. if something did happen with this guy.

I agree with the points made, this guy could have been a HUGE liability had something happened in the park for whatever reason and someone thought he was an officer. That being said, if something happens it's not his fault he wore that shirt and he should have been stopped in the parking garage if this rule was truly resort-wide, because every security guard would have known, and someone would have said something. It's like ordering a drink at a bar when you aren't 21 and the bartender giving you a drink. It's not your fault the bartender didn't ask for your ID, he should have known (or remembered) the rules. Security is the bartender. They should have known and should have told the man he couldn't wear the shirt, not catch up to him later and kick him out when he's about to watch a show he payed money for. Honestly I'd be pissed too.

This goes back to Universal not being vocal enough (or at all) when it comes to the rules. They like to dish them out when THEY want to, that's not how it should work. And this guy suffered.

How do we know he wasn't wearing something over the shirt when he passed the bag search areas. I can imagine it being a very repetitive job, which if you have ever experienced you do end up missing simple things at times it's human error. He could have had no bags and walked straight through. The excuses are endless at the end of the day. And comparing it to under age drinking is a bit silly, in the UK at least a bartender can get fined or fired for serving underage and it still happens - most likely due to a high pressured job.

I was riding with another guy at work yesterday and he listens to talk radio. This story was all over the place on multiple shows. For some reason they are making a real big deal out of this.

Regardless, Universal is a theme park that should be providing security and police force in a time of need. So, that being said, if a situation DID arise, and a cop was needed, there should be Universal-employed security or officers on the scene ASAP. There shouldn't be a need for this guy to get called over to help someone out or settle a situation based solely on the fact that his shirt says "police" on it. And if he does get asked, why is that his fault?

I'm a parent of small children. My children have been taught that if there is an emergency, or if they are lost, they should seek out a police officer if possible. Heaven forbid a situation like that occurs and my child approaches some idiot who is wearing a shirt that says "police" on it when he is NOT a police officer. Uni is absolutely right to not allow people to wear any kind of shirt/outfit that could make people think that they are members of law enforcement. Honestly, I'd support it being a punishable offense to wear that kind of shirt at ANY time unless you are an on-duty law enforcement officer. There's no reason to wear a "police" shirt if you aren't a police officer. Period.

Reactions: Kevin38
I'm a parent of small children. My children have been taught that if there is an emergency, or if they are lost, they should seek out a police officer if possible. Heaven forbid a situation like that occurs and my child approaches some idiot who is wearing a shirt that says "police" on it when he is NOT a police officer. Uni is absolutely right to not allow people to wear any kind of shirt/outfit that could make people think that they are members of law enforcement. Honestly, I'd support it being a punishable offense to wear that kind of shirt at ANY time unless you are an on-duty law enforcement officer. There's no reason to wear a "police" shirt if you aren't a police officer. Period.

Exactly there isn't a security guard on every corner of every street in the parks, if there was it would ruin the atmosphere. Remember the intoxicated guy in Disney and it was a massive outcry that security didn't get there until like three minutes later and people were arguing it was ridiculous and demanded security should be everywhere lol :lol:

I totally agree with you on this.
Also if you are a parent .I know you are proud of your kid(s) but please do not put kids ball helmet w/name or those little people with the whole families names.Known child molesters keep notebooks with what your kids number, team, parent(s) and siblings names . Where you work (because car in employee lot)I have talked to cops who do home visits.These sicko's keep notes on all information they can get .If you are late to pickup your kid they pull up and say(kids name) I work with your dad(gives dads name)@ (gives dads employer) He is working late He asked me to pick you up and take you to his work/home.
Depending if he knows your home address. Why give away information that can hurt your family.

Tell your kid you are proud of him .Do not give out free information to strangers by putting it on your car.

Thanks? ^

I literally agree with everyone on here! And I'm glad this debate could offer such valid points. What I was mainly suggesting is that this shouldn't have happened and it was due to a lack of effort on a security guard's part. Regardless of how many times he/she addresses things like this each day vs. how many times it slips past them, it happened. That's all. The guy wasn't right, but not 100% his fault.

Thanks? ^

I literally agree with everyone on here! And I'm glad this debate could offer such valid points. What I was mainly suggesting is that this shouldn't have happened and it was due to a lack of effort on a security guard's part. Regardless of how many times he/she addresses things like this each day vs. how many times it slips past them, it happened. That's all. The guy wasn't right, but not 100% his fault.

I still disagree it was his choice to wear a police shirt to a day out in a private resort.

Thanks? ^

I still disagree it was his choice to wear a police shirt to a day out in a private resort.

Is it really that hard to comprehend that this single incident is just part of a bigger issue.