Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Forbidden Journey Refurbishment (Update: Early Dec)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they didn't build the whole ride around the willow....
Haha, I see what you mean... but I still have to completely disagree.

Disco Yeti is still there, and the 90% of people who never rode it originally and aren't theme park fans don't even notice that it's not moving. Like it or not, the strobe effect works. The ride experience is largely the same, except for those of us in the know about the yeti's former state.

Meanwhile on FJ, it's super obvious that the willow is supposed to move, but it's not. Even the least observant of guests notice that they're rolling around and dodging absolutely nothing, all while watching the vicious tree from the books/films staying absolutely still. All the while, you can clearly see backstage elements that completely take away part of the greatness of the ride.

Haha, I see what you mean... but I still have to completely disagree.

Disco Yeti is still there, and the 90% of people who never rode it originally and aren't theme park fans don't even notice that it's not moving. Like it or not, the strobe effect works. The ride experience is largely the same, except for those of us in the know about the yeti's former state.

Meanwhile on FJ, it's super obvious that the willow is supposed to move, but it's not. Even the least observant of guests notice that they're rolling around and dodging absolutely nothing, all while watching the vicious tree from the books/films staying absolutely still. All the while, you can clearly see backstage elements that completely take away part of the greatness of the ride.
So what you're saying is... we need a disco willow

So what you're saying is... we need a disco willow
What I'm saying is they need to take the time to fix the willow... heck, even having that entire section be in the dark would probably be improvement. As it is now, guests don't only see a clearly broken animatronic, but they see a ton of backstage theming elements that really take away from the immersion of the ride.

What I'm saying is they need to take the time to fix the willow... heck, even having that entire section be in the dark would probably be improvement. As it is now, guests don't only see a clearly broken animatronic, but they see a ton of backstage theming elements that really take away from the immersion of the ride.
I think that the Willow is an important story element of the ride, but it is nowhere near considered a centerpiece of the attraction. Forbidden Journey is a ride that is filled to the brim with many great moments, and while it is a little awkward to go through that 10-second scene without it moving, guests quickly forget about it once they are thrown into the middle of a Quidditch match with Harry freakin' Potter.

Experienced FJ for first time ever on Friday. Absolutely loved it. With all the rolling and dodging throughout the ride, I didn't even notice there was a Willow scene. Maybe will notice next time.
Every vacation I debate with myself on whether Spider Man, Forbidden Journey or Gringotts is the best attraction. I still give Forbidden Journey a slight edge. Just a great combination of sets, screens, effects. music, ambiance and the thrill of really feeling like you're flying. And, it's even better than when I first rode it since they lessened the motion sickness effects.:thumbsup:

Experienced FJ for first time ever on Friday. Absolutely loved it. With all the rolling and dodging throughout the ride, I didn't even notice there was a Willow scene. Maybe will notice next time.
Ignore my post above - just rode it again and yes Willow right in front of me! First time rode there was so much to take in.

Ok, the screens look absolutely awful...Not sure what they can do, but they are super unclear as of late..

Everything else looks great, I just love how quickly that dragon resets, nuts to me

Every vacation I debate with myself on whether Spider Man, Forbidden Journey or Gringotts is the best attraction. I still give Forbidden Journey a slight edge. Just a great combination of sets, screens, effects. music, ambiance and the thrill of really feeling like you're flying. And, it's even better than when I first rode it since they lessened the motion sickness effects.:thumbsup:

Gringotts takes it over Spider Man for me, not necessarily because the actual ride, but as John always says, the whole experience (queue, general theming, etc.) FJ still is almost too much for me motion-sickness wise, only during the screen portions though. It's only when we're looking at screens do I have to look to the side not to get sick.

Gringotts takes it over Spider Man for me, not necessarily because the actual ride, but as John always says, the whole experience (queue, general theming, etc.) FJ still is almost too much for me motion-sickness wise, only during the screen portions though. It's only when we're looking at screens do I have to look to the side not to get sick.
Yeah, I think I'm to the point where I like Gringotts a tad more than Spider Man. Mostly because the queue & preshows elevate it above SM, totality of the attraction. But, damn, all three are so good, they're the best three Attractions (totality again) anywhere in my eyes. Although, Splash Mountain is my "favorite " fun attraction, I don't rate it as being as good as those three.

Yeah, I think I'm to the point where I like Gringotts a tad more than Spider Man. Mostly because the queue & preshows elevate it above SM, totality of the attraction. But, damn, all three are so good, they're the best three Attractions (totality again) anywhere in my eyes. Although, Splash Mountain is my "favorite " fun attraction, I don't rate it as being as good as those three.

I agree with you totally. My 3 favorite at UOR- although truthfully, If Mummy would upgrade its projection system- I might lean towards that leapfrogging. I also really like kong.

But Splash Mountain is pretty freakin brilliant. I mean- It's a 15 minute ride that psyches you out in multiple mini falls and the show scenes and music are top notch- even an elaborate show scene with a train that can go by after the final drop.
I don't know if anything can top that to be honest.

I agree with you totally. My 3 favorite at UOR- although truthfully, If Mummy would upgrade its projection system- I might lean towards that leapfrogging. I also really like kong.

But Splash Mountain is pretty freakin brilliant. I mean- It's a 15 minute ride that psyches you out in multiple mini falls and the show scenes and music are top notch- even an elaborate show scene with a train that can go by after the final drop.
I don't know if anything can top that to be honest.
Mummy & Kong are pretty close to those three for me too.....Splash Mountain always puts a big smile on my face. I have a grin through the whole ride. I can ride that for ride after ride after ride if the lines weren't so darn long.

How come transformers never gets much love? I know it kind of copies Spiderman, but there are parts during it when I get completely immersed in all the action going on...it's a fantastic ride that's maybe taken for granted a little bit. Gringots got better every ride, but I can't help but lament the lack of coaster section at the end to finish it off.

How come transformers never gets much love? I know it kind of copies Spiderman, but there are parts during it when I get completely immersed in all the action going on...it's a fantastic ride that's maybe taken for granted a little bit. Gringots got better every ride, but I can't help but lament the lack of coaster section at the end to finish it off.
Because it is an inferior Spider-Man. Not saying I agree, but that is the general reasoning. It doesn't include the great practical effects Spider-Man does.

Because it is an inferior Spider-Man. Not saying I agree, but that is the general reasoning. It doesn't include the great practical effects Spider-Man does.

That's true...I'd argue the 3D is more immersive and the Queue/story are done better though...not that I'm arguing it's better. It isn't, but I do think Transformers deserves some love. I'd say it's still a top 20 ride in Orlando.

That's true...I'd argue the 3D is more immersive and the Queue/story are done better though...not that I'm arguing it's better. It isn't, but I do think Transformers deserves some love. I'd say it's still a top 20 ride in Orlando.
I agree Transformers is more immersive than Spider Man. You feel like you're right in the city. The first year I rode it I rated it in my top four Universal rides. I still like it, but it doesn't seem to hold up to repeat rides as well as some of the top Universal attractions. It's still in my top ten Universal attractions though.

The first year I rode it I rated it in my top four Universal rides. I still like it, but it doesn't seem to hold up to repeat rides as well as some of the top Universal attractions.
Completely agree, I rarely ride it anymore. Only when I bring non UOAP guests.

anyways, here comes a mod to steer us :topic:

Status
Not open for further replies.