Fun Spot Expansion | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Fun Spot Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The cool thing about them using steel for the superstructure is that, if I'm not mistaken, it will help this puppy maintain it's speed throughout the course. On a normal wooden coaster, the flex and compression of the wood that the forces of the coaster train put on it slows the trains down. Ghostrider in Knott's Berry Farms was one of the first wooden coasters built after strong building code laws went into effect regarding earthquakes. They had to use twice as much wood as they normally would have used. The end result is that the superstructure doesn't flex very much and the trains come SCREAMING into the final break run.

So I am predicting that White Lightning will have similar properties given the steel superstructure.

You are correct on that, and that is also (partly) the reason that Ghostrider has had noise and maintenance issues (related to increased forces, not wood issues specifically). If you haven't seen it before, here's a video of the former Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas (recently rebuilt with the Iron Horse treatment) showing an extreme example of the movement of a wooden coaster's structure.

[video=youtube;SYF84b8O7a0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYF84b8O7a0[/video]

Is it normal for a "wooden" coaster to be made primarily out of steel?

These have been popping up in place of the traditional wooden coaster recently. Another common one brought over from steel has been going with the cable lift instead of the chain.

It's better for the park all around. They are built prefab cutting the construction time down significantly. They are easier to maintain (less wood to replace on an ongoing cycle so the replacements actually get done, easier daily inspections, weather is less of an issue), puts less stress on the train, allows them to design coasters that were harder to do with a wooded structure and provides a smoother ride in the end keeping guests happy.

From today,

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

Reactions: UK-Trigg
Oh man, the track should start taking shape in the next week or two on the drop and lower bents that they've finished. I know why they're using the steel structure, but now that I'm seeing the full extent of it...oh man, a full wood structure would look amazing! I can't wait to ride this!

They are not messing about on this one, should be something else to look forward to for my September trip.

Great update HTF

This is awful :lol: but better than nothing:

IMG_2223_zps7d66fc26.jpg

Basically, last night, my phone was dead by the time we got back to the parking structures (Spiderman 400s), so I asked my friend to take a pic from her cell, and this is what she got :doh: At least you can get a sense of how huge this is in comparison to the Fun Spot Ferris wheel.

From Orlando Sentinel

Photo: Fun Spot USA expansion construction

ibcfVRlMV1Mc29.jpg

Fun Spot USA is sharing aerial photography of the construction on its ongoing expansion near International Drive.

In this photo, the current entrance is within the building seen at the bottom of the image. That faces Del Verde Drive.

The expansion plan includes a wooden roller coaster called White Lightning, seen here running across the top of the picture and down the left side. The yellow and blue construction nearby will be a steel coaster named Freedom Fighter. The arch, which tops out at 250 feet, is for the extreme swing called SkyCoaster.

Fun Spot officials say the new parking lot is expected to be open by mid-May with all rides in operation in time for the park's 15th birthday party on June 15.