Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Animal Kingdom?

I have no desire to see a Zootopia land at AK... I'd much rather see an Australia land or South America or something along those lines but that doesn't seem likely under current management unfortunately.
Australia could be interesting.

Here's the big question, will DAK add any new animal exhibits with habitats being so expensive and the times being the way they are?

What I would like to see in AK:

- Jungle Book Dark Ride
- The Lion King Dark Ride
- Zootopia Land
- Indiana Jones replaces Dinoland
- Fix Yeti
- Build a second coaster themed to dragons

If Disney could get a couple pandas for Animal Kingdom, I think they’d build a brand new habitat in a heartbeat.
We all know they have the resources to do it, but animals are expensive and don't necessarily move the needle in terms of attendance

Also, it only takes one news article about an animal dying to cause a panic (see: AK's opening)

It's not so much can they, it's do they want to?

Pandas or koalas are HUGE draws for any zoo. Busch Gardens hosted both pandas and koalas and they got huge bumps in attendance when they did as well as selling tons of merchandise.

I love Animal Kingdom but they’ve been so slow to expand the park. The park is nearly 22 years old, and there’s still only a handful of rides.

DHS has had its major upgrades, Epcot is current getting there’s and Magic Kingdom is always getting a gradual upgrade.

AK is next hopefully

DHS has had its major upgrades, Epcot is current getting there’s and Magic Kingdom is always getting a gradual upgrade.

AK is next hopefully

I hope they’re not done in DHS or Epcot though. Such is the underinvestment from Disney between 2000 to 2015, what they’ve built / announced for the parks doesn’t go far enough imo.

DHS needs several more rides, and Imagination/Seas/Land need updating, as well as additional draws to World Showcase.

I also think MK is underdeveloped too, especially in comparison to Disneyland.

I hope they don’t take their foot off.

Pandas or koalas are HUGE draws for any zoo. Busch Gardens hosted both pandas and koalas and they got huge bumps in attendance when they did as well as selling tons of merchandise.
I would need to see numbers..I don't believe that

Also, are you talking about the display they had in the 80's?

Yes-- under Busch ownership. I remember the long lines of people to see them.

I know that other zoos who have hosted pandas and koalas have had the same experience. It's a HUGE expense to bring those animals, but it must be worth it.

I hope they’re not done in DHS or Epcot though. Such is the underinvestment from Disney between 2000 to 2015, what they’ve built / announced for the parks doesn’t go far enough imo.

DHS needs several more rides, and Imagination/Seas/Land need updating, as well as additional draws to World Showcase.

I also think MK is underdeveloped too, especially in comparison to Disneyland.

I hope they don’t take their foot off.
Agreed, the entire resort is lacking. Disney has such an innate issue that it'll take quite a bit of work to fend off the stale mold collecting around the parks. I believe the sense of historical preservation with older attractions, underdevelopment for the better part of two decades, and laziness/budget cuts have made a resort that is feeling older and older by the day. The time it takes between these piecemeal additions doesn't help much either.

I don't think the parks are doing bad at all, they're Disney. It'd take a series of colossally and unequivocally bad moves to stop Disney World from being the dream destination for people across the world, (even then, that's really debatable.) But I feel like they could be doing so much more. They are THE biggest theme park destination in the world, and they're just sorta riding off the successes of yesteryear. Just a little disappointing.

Last edited:
Pandora cost a ton of money though. Budget busting for a while to recuperate Return on Investment. Plus Harambe expansion & Lion King theater & Rivers of Light right before that. ROI big time all added up.