Future Of Islands Of Adventure Marvel Area | Inside Universal Forums

Future Of Islands Of Adventure Marvel Area

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2013
So as we all know Marvel has been bought by Disney, so does anybody know what this means for the Marvel area in IOA because surely Disney could just pull the plug on Universal? Im sure they could just walk in and shut it down? Does Universal hold a contract for so many more years then its boom gone? Ideas and Thoughts? Any Facts?

If Disney could shut it down that easily, why wouldn't they?
To my understanding, Uni had exclusive theme park rights this side of the Mississippi till they volunteerily give 'em up (or sell 'em). I'm sure they'll hold on to them till Disney is willing to pay out the rear for the rights, as well as paying to retheme and refurbish the IoA area.

Marvel is not, nor should it be, going anywhere anytime soon. Like someone else mentioned, Universal has exclusive theme park rights to the franchise east of the Mississippi River. So Disney has no power over Universal. Plus, I'd expect Universal to keep Marvel for a long time. The franchise makes great money for them, so it would be a very stupid decision to retheme Marvel.

I am not saying i want it gone, i have always loved the area and think that is a area and Universal look after extremely well! I am hoping that disney don't actually decide to try and pay for it to be shut down etc

The contract goes in perpetuity, meaning that as long as Uni does not breach the contract Dis can not just pull the plug and Uni can continue forever. If they try and pay for it to be shut down, that offer would be for Uni which can turn it down and keep MSHI open.

Dis is also contractually obligated to negotiate this IP with Uni in good faith. So the idea of changes to the island are not impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.