Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 70 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't think a Toon Lagoon conversion to SpongeBob will be as difficult as it sounds. The foundations of TL are fine, it's just not a land that you can enjoy if your not interested in the rides themselves with no relevant IP to keep you there. Having two water rides next to each other is fine, issue is you need to provide something dry. You don't necessarily need a ride, but a theater show could work.

View attachment 20835
Basically split between 3 sections
  • Glove World - where the theater/carnival games currently are. "Cover" the TL Theater with a Glove World facade/backdrop and put a flat ride in the courtyard area out front. Put theater entrance somewhere
  • Bikini Bottom
  • Jellyfish Fields - Popeye's area. If you repaint the rocks from orange to purple, you get pretty close to the SpongeBob aesthetic without doing much else here. It's pretty remarkable how close this area resembles SpongeBob, just needs a paint job.

Dining
  • Krusty Burger (Comic Strip Cafe) - would pay for a whole new theme park on its own. It's a massive QSR location, really just need to work on the façade.
  • Chum Bucket (Gasoline Alley) - convert to a counter service offering "chum" fries and whatever crazy things they can come up with. Should be easy to eat items, something to walk around with.
  • Kelp Shakes (Wimpy's) - need to provide some sort of reason to make this location more popular/unique
Retail
  • Barg 'n' Mart (Toon Extra)
  • M&G Exit Shop (Wossamotta U)

Attractions
  • SpongeBob Stage Show
  • Flat Ride - something for kids to do themed to Glove World
  • To Be Named (Ripsaw)
  • Jellyfish Field Rapids (Popeye's)
  • Meet & Greet Space (choice ala Princess Fairy Tale Hall) - Enter via SpongeBob's house (approx. AP lounge), indoor queue, etc. Exit through the gift shop (Wossamotta U)
This should be IoA’s next thing after Zelda. Not sure where I’d slot it in among resort wide projects, but for IoA definitely next up.

I remember when the first episode of Spongebob premiered and, for the first time with a NickToon, not enjoying it. So personally I would not want this to happen, but I can admit that it would be popular with the public.

I do agree that Toon Lagoon needs a dry ride, IoA's biggest problem to me was always that unless you wanted to get wet there were no rides between Spider-Man and Dueling Dragons, now Kong and VelociCoaster have reduced that problem but Toon Lagoon still needs something. I have always maintained that a Rocky and Bullwinkle water dark ride was the perfect solution, a nice slow journey through the woods with plenty of comedy gags and you have Boris and Natasha set off a bomb for your action moment.

I have always maintained that a Rocky and Bullwinkle water dark ride was the perfect solution, a nice slow journey through the woods with plenty of comedy gags and you have Boris and Natasha set off a bomb for your action moment.
As I mentioned before, Toon Lagoon was supposed to have a Rocky & Bullwinkle coaster, but sadly was cut because IOA was already having budget issues.

I was told that it would've also gone through & around "Mount Dudley". I'm sure there is concept art somewhere in existence. But yea, a dry ride would help the balance.

I don't think a Toon Lagoon conversion to SpongeBob will be as difficult as it sounds. The foundations of TL are fine, it's just not a land that you can enjoy if your not interested in the rides themselves with no relevant IP to keep you there. Having two water rides next to each other is fine, issue is you need to provide something dry. You don't necessarily need a ride, but a theater show could work.

View attachment 20835
  • Glove World - where the theater/carnival games currently are. "Cover" the TL Theater with a Glove World facade/backdrop and put a flat ride in the courtyard area out front. Put theater entrance somewhere
  • Bikini Bottom
  • Jellyfish Fields - Popeye's area. If you repaint the rocks from orange to purple, you get pretty close to the SpongeBob aesthetic without doing much else here. It's pretty remarkable how close this area resembles SpongeBob, just needs a paint job.

Dining
  • Krusty Burger (Comic Strip Cafe) - would pay for a whole new theme park on its own. It's a massive QSR location, really just need to work on the façade.
  • Chum Bucket (Gasoline Alley) - convert to a counter service offering "chum" fries and whatever crazy things they can come up with. Should be easy to eat items, something to walk around with.
  • Kelp Shakes (Wimpy's) - need to provide some sort of reason to make this location more popular/unique
Retail

Attractions
  • SpongeBob Stage Show
  • To Be Named (Ripsaw)
  • Meet & Greet Space (choice ala Princess Fairy Tale Hall) - Enter via SpongeBob's house (approx. AP lounge), indoor queue, etc. Exit through the gift shop (Wossamotta U)
Someone already mentioned it, but Ripsaw Falls should be converted to Rock Bottom Plunge. I'd also tear down TL Theater for a dark ride.

View attachment 20835
  • Bikini Bottom

Dining
Retail

Attractions
  • SpongeBob Stage Show
  • To Be Named (Ripsaw)
For me it is less about how easy, more there are bigger things out there that need fixed. First being not having a shuttered land in IOA, replacing Simpson, not having so many empty theaters, and replacing F&F.

For me it is less about how easy, more there are bigger things out there that need fixed. First being not having a shuttered land in IOA, replacing Simpson, not having so many empty theaters, and replacing F&F.
Obviously there are more important things, just highlighting how simple a Toon Lagoon retheme actually is. It'd be a bit more ambitious than DreamWorks reskin, but I could easily see this as a comparatively cheap project compared to an entire LC redo.

Walking around today I really think the Middle Earth idea would fit well. Like I’ve totally come around on that. I know it’s likely an expansion for EU if it ever happens but In don’t hate the idea of it as a Toon replacement.

Reactions: tielo
Walking around today I really think the Middle Earth idea would fit well. Like I’ve totally come around on that. I know it’s likely an expansion for EU if it ever happens but In don’t hate the idea of it as a Toon replacement.
I disagree with this. It should stay toon themed. I personally would retheme it to DreamWorks Lagoon. The other park can have the “Land” version.

Reactions: BBPH
Other than addressing Lost Continent, IOA doesn't need anything for a long time.

USF needs a decade's-worth of sustained attention.
Absolutely. Fans might not like the land, but it's still a popular area during Florida summer (AKA March through November). Meanwhile, it sounds like Rockit and Simpsons are on the chopping block with Supercharged not far behind if the rumors are true. The parks will finally be equal to each other once everything is done hopefully.