Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
People always complain about getting wet until its 95 degrees out and everyone is like why isn't there more water rides blah blah blah. With the Studios having no water rides, its essentially makes sense for IOA to keep at least 3 water rides.
:lol: That's so true, even with my family. A few weeks ago when I went to IOA DDR had a 75 min wait. And since I have the universal app, I check the lines everyday and the ride has had one of the longest lines in the park this summer. I think it could use a good refurb, but it's an attractive ride for guest to look at from the bridge. People always stop to watch.

Reactions: Cheezbat
I think the best IPs for a Toon Lagoon makeover would be SpongeBob, SLoP, Sing (if it's a success), Madagascar, and keeping Popeye. They could theoretically find a way to make them work together, if they redesign the area and upgrade the theme a bit to be a bit Toontown-esque.
Sorry I'm so stupid, but what does IP mean

I would make it an entrance only. I would be willing to bet that most people spend more time in CityWalk after they've been to the parks than before.

THIS. If they are staying at the hotels for a week, then at some point they will visit City Walk and dine out there. Non-resort guests would continue to go through City Walk, and our fingers crossed that they'll spend money.... quality time there.

I would make it an entrance only. I would be willing to bet that most people spend more time in CityWalk after they've been to the parks than before.

Yeah, but then you're saddling the poor turnstile employees with endless "well I came in this way, why can't I go out this way" complaints. I say just screw CityWalk and just put a damn gate back there. I have to imagine that the gains the CityWalk businesses see by forcing on-site resort guests to walk through there is minimal. Also, when they build Nintendo, build a gate from Hard Rock into USF.

Yeah, but then you're saddling the poor turnstile employees with endless "well I came in this way, why can't I go out this way" complaints. I say just screw CityWalk and just put a damn gate back there. I have to imagine that the gains the CityWalk businesses see by forcing on-site resort guests to walk through there is minimal. Also, when they build Nintendo, build a gate from Hard Rock into USF.

True, if guests aren't eating in CityWalk, they're eating at the hotels.

If you make it perfectly clear that it's only an entrance, I don't see why it wouldn't work. If it's also reinforced to every guest walking through, anybody who complains would be a moron.

Is any of the old Hard Rock Cafe still there? That would be a nice throwback.

Reactions: Mike S
I think they won't make a SLoP land just 1 attraction i think they are going to make a more modern toon lagoon with adventure time,Steven Universe ETC ETC

Personally I would be down for an Adventure Time, Gumball, We Bare Bears, etc replacement for Toon Lagoon. Universal already has a good relationship with Warner so wouldn't be hard but probably never happen.

Personally I would be down for an Adventure Time, Gumball, We Bare Bears, etc replacement for Toon Lagoon. Universal already has a good relationship with Warner so wouldn't be hard but probably never happen.
True but i was thinking a more modern toon lagoon with like 1 SLoP ride cause SLoP didn't make alot of Buzz shure it brought in a whopping $72 million and people were talking about how it did better then 'Finding Dory' but people still think it is a rip-off of a legendary history-making film thats already getting a land in orlando soon! Coincidence? I THINK NOT!
untitled-drawing-3.png

Attachments

• images-7.jpeg
    images-7.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 10
True but i was thinking a more modern toon lagoon with like 1 SLoP ride cause SLoP didn't make alot of Buzz shure it brought in a whopping $72 million and people were talking about how it did better then 'Finding Dory' but people still think it is a rip-off of a legendary history-making film thats already getting a land in orlando soon! Coincidence? I THINK NOT!
View attachment 2872
Except the SLoP ride will be better,
latest

I still think that if Uni were to ever work with Nick again or with Cartoon Network, it'd be really cool if they made it something like Star Tours where it could easily update. As one show ends, just update the film with a new cartoon. I know everyone hated Jimmy Neutron, but a version of that ride with a newer ride system in Toon Lagoon that could easily update to not become outdated could work IMO.

Reactions: chewbacca1995
I still think that if Uni were to ever work with Nick again or with Cartoon Network, it'd be really cool if they made it something like Star Tours where it could easily update. As one show ends, just update the film with a new cartoon. I know everyone hated Jimmy Neutron, but a version of that ride with a newer ride system in Toon Lagoon that could easily update to not become outdated could work IMO.
Honestly, SpongeBob and TMNT are timeless enough Nick IPs to where a high-quality dark ride or family coaster could stick around in Toon Lagoon for 20+ years IMO.

I'd also say Scooby-Doo has reached classic status (like Mickey & Friends, Looney Tunes, etc) unlike Popeye and Dudley Do-Right. The franchise gets regular reboots and it's rerun on Boomerang (in its different versions). Combining Scooby-Doo and Laika for a kid-friendly 'spooky' area in the 3rd gate could be a solid land (maybe include the Classic Monsters as the teen/adult attraction). Scooby is still relevant (a new film is set for release Sept 2018 and will likely be a solid hit for Warner Animation)

For Toon Lagoon, I'd like to see:
  • SLoP dark ride and a small Sing stage show in toon-based NYC mini-land between Spidey and Sweet Haven/rest of TL
  • TMNT family coaster using Space Fantasy ride system and quick-service Italian restaurant (part of Comic Strip Lane and 50% of Dudley area) - serves as thematic link between NYC and Nick
  • SpongeBob Splash Battle dark ride and Dora flat ride (a mini-swings along Diego's treehouse) in rest of Dudley area
  • Popeye upgrades and Wimpy's upgraded to year-round status

That'd be a good use of the TL space and add in relevant IPs (SLoP, Sing) while also incorporating some timeless IPs (SpongeBob, TMNT, arguably Dora given the 17-year runtime) and keeping a Universal Orlando crowdpleaser (Popeye).

It also gives IOA a water ride that won't get people completely soaked, 3 more major indoor attractions (previously 0 in TL) and gives families with infants/toddlers/preschoolers more to do at IOA outside of Camp Jurassic, Storm Force, Hippogriff and Seuss Landing.

I doubt most of this will happen (SLoP and Sing taking over the TL theater area/Comic Strip Lane makes sense, though), but Toon Lagoon has a lot of potential

Reactions: Andysol and Joel
View attachment 2872

SLoP has made $600 million, not $72m. SLoP was initially outpacing Finding Dory but FD was released internationally before SLoP so FD is $300m in front; SLoP should make up some ground now that it's being released in China. FD also had the benefit of being a sequel to a huge hit.
SLoP has also tied Zootopia in domestic release at $340 million, even though Zootopia was released 4 months before SLoP. SLoP was also late in international release so we're just seeing the uptick in international revenue.
Personally, I loved all three movies but in this order:
1. Zootopia
2. SLoP
3. Finding Dory

I would love for Disney to make a Zootpia dark ride, imagine something like going through all the different zones on one of the Gondolas in the movie (specifically when they were in the jungle zone)