Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I still think that if Uni were to ever work with Nick again or with Cartoon Network, it'd be really cool if they made it something like Star Tours where it could easily update. As one show ends, just update the film with a new cartoon. I know everyone hated Jimmy Neutron, but a version of that ride with a newer ride system in Toon Lagoon that could easily update to not become outdated could work IMO.

I don't think they will ever go back to that method of just a simulator ride for an IP if the environment is actually immersive (i,e Transformers). It most likely will be full fledged or a mini land.

Universal does own their own toons in particular Curious George and the Land before time but neither of those would fit the thrill of IOA in my opinion and are geared much younger than the rest of the park. As for the Nick VS Cartoon Network, I am going to say Universal would better off going with Cartoon Network than Nick as a lot of Cartoon Networks shows also are attracting not just youth but adults (i.e Adventure Time and Steven Universe in particular) and also Nick is falling hard in the ratings outside their preschool shows and I am also thinking that Comcast/Universal wants young children but not those under the age of 3 as they truly make no money off them as well as strollers being a nuisance. Outside of SpongeBob, there are no real popular toons, (TMNT really isn't popular based on the ratings its getting with young kids and current film success (which is minimal) is probably due more to Nostalgia than anything). Also Cartoon network will be the best as they have the top 5 of ten most watched shows by kids 6-11 as of last year and top seven of ten of most watched show by boys 6-11.
I would want to see:

SLOP ride/NYC with minion elements and SING elements.
Change out Dudley Plot for a super weird and crazy Adventure Time ride and full scale miniland (like Kong) and make it full indoor as everything in IOA is outdoors which sucks when it rains.
Change Popeye's theme to SpongeBob with a Krusty Krab quick service and change Me Ship, the Olive into SpongeBob/Patrick and Squidwards house/playground area.
Minimize the food court next to TL theatre and change it a Steven Universe Gem musical/dance show and restaurant.

I love Popeye but I think if they are going to pay Hearst just for him then its not worth it. At least with Boop with the rights being so convoluted Universal has a upper hand.

The interesting thing to note is each is a very different animated style which would potentially add to the zaniness of making it feel as a real toon lagoon.

Reactions: captainmoch
I don't think they will ever go back to that method of just a simulator ride for an IP if the environment is actually immersive (i,e Transformers). It most likely will be full fledged or a mini land.

Universal does own their own toons in particular Curious George and the Land before time but neither of those would fit the thrill of IOA in my opinion and are geared much younger than the rest of the park. As for the Nick VS Cartoon Network, I am going to say Universal would better off going with Cartoon Network than Nick as a lot of Cartoon Networks shows also are attracting not just youth but adults (i.e Adventure Time and Steven Universe in particular) and also Nick is falling hard in the ratings outside their preschool shows and I am also thinking that Comcast/Universal wants young children but not those under the age of 3 as they truly make no money off them as well as strollers being a nuisance. Outside of SpongeBob, there are no real popular toons, (TMNT really isn't popular based on the ratings its getting with young kids and current film success (which is minimal) is probably due more to Nostalgia than anything). Also Cartoon network will be the best as they have the top 5 of ten most watched shows by kids 6-11 as of last year and top seven of ten of most watched show by boys 6-11.
I would want to see:

Change out Dudley Plot for a super weird and crazy Adventure Time ride and full scale miniland (like Kong) and make it full indoor as everything in IOA is outdoors which sucks when it rains.
Change Popeye's theme to SpongeBob with a Krusty Krab quick service and change Me Ship, the Olive into SpongeBob/Patrick and Squidwards house/playground area.
Minimize the food court next to TL theatre and change it a Steven Universe Gem musical/dance show and restaurant.

I love Popeye but I think if they are going to pay Hearst just for him then its not worth it. At least with Boop with the rights being so convoluted Universal has a upper hand.

The interesting thing to note is each is a very different animated style which would potentially add to the zaniness of making it feel as a real toon lagoon.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is SING

No one said it would.
Sing has repeatedly over many trailers not shown me any signs of hope. So I still remain of the opinion that it will be a mediocre to bad animated movie that will get anywhere from a 30-50% RT Score.

For comparison, Trolls is looking better and better with each trailer imo, this movie isn't.

Anybody else think that Sing is very heavily under-advertised? This is the first I've heard about the movie...

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of most of Illumination's movies (Despicable Me 1 was quite good), but it's obvious they're going to be a major animation powerhouse. So, I'd expect to see Illumination + DWA rides popping up like crazy in the parks. Especially in Toon Lagoon. I think Universal is going to take the Potter approach to both of those properties: Spread them out amongst the three parks to help keep crowds from congregating in one park.

Reactions: Mad Dog
There were a bunch of ads for it during the Olympics. I actually thought the latest trailers looked better than the first ones.

Reactions: Joel
Sing has repeatedly over many trailers not shown me any signs of hope. So I still remain of the opinion that it will be a mediocre to bad animated movie that will get anywhere from a 30-50% RT Score.

For comparison, Trolls is looking better and better with each trailer imo, this movie isn't.

Anybody else think that Sing is very heavily under-advertised? This is the first I've heard about the movie...

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of most of Illumination's movies (Despicable Me 1 was quite good), but it's obvious they're going to be a major animation powerhouse. So, I'd expect to see Illumination + DWA rides popping up like crazy in the parks. Especially in Toon Lagoon. I think Universal is going to take the Potter approach to both of those properties: Spread them out amongst the three parks to help keep crowds from congregating in one park.

There were a bunch of ads for it during the Olympics. I actually thought the latest trailers looked better than the first ones.

I'm unsure about this movie as well.. The trailers haven't given me any confidence, the only thing that has me leaning slightly more favorable is it being an Illumination project.. I love their animation style

Reactions: Mike S

I would want to see:

I love the idea of Cartoon Network being the new TL...I just picture an Adventure Time skin on Dudley...I think they have to be careful with TV shows like that though..They can be popular one day and not so the next..

Reactions: captainmoch
My visit Tuesday reminded me how much I miss the exploding shack for Ripsaw Falls. With all the money Universal makes, you'd think that'd be something they'd have fixed by now.

Reactions: Mike S
My visit Tuesday reminded me how much I miss the exploding shack for Ripsaw Falls. With all the money Universal makes, you'd think that'd be something they'd have fixed by now.

We must remember that we do not know their long term plans... and they do have long term plans. No reason to fix something you have no intention of keeping.

I will agree that it was a fun effect in it's day.

C
We must remember that we do not know their long term plans... and they do have long term plans. No reason to fix something you have no intention of keeping.
A close look at Toon Lagoon reveals a number of things that could use fixing. I do believe it is because a lot of it is going.

There is still a good possibility it is done in phases. No hurry on Dudley since they now own the IP. Popeyes is either gone in two or three years or sticks around for at least a dozen years. Building something on the old theater is definitely a sooner rather than later project.

Reactions: Joel
C

A close look at Toon Lagoon reveals a number of things that could use fixing. I do believe it is because a lot of it is going.

There is still a good possibility it is done in phases. No hurry on Dudley since they now own the IP. Popeyes is either gone in two or three years or sticks around for at least a dozen years. Building something on the old theater is definitely a sooner rather than later project.
I'd think Dudley would go first since Popeye is more popular and already has a cohesive mini-land.

If you bulldoze Dudley, Comic Strip Lane, the carnival games and the TL theater area, there's probably room for 2-3 decent-sized attractions and 1-2 smaller additions.

I'd guess the phases would be:
Phase 1 - SLoP E-ticket and Sing mini-show in TL theater area
Phase 2 - revamp of Comic Strip Lane
Phase 3 - Dudley bulldozed for family dark ride and family coaster (or one D/E and 1-2 smaller attractions)
Phase 4 - whatever happens for Popeye (update or retheme)

Popeye is just too much of a crowd pleaser to close down for 9+ months IMO and it's the one water ride at IOA that doesn't need any drastic changes.

JPRA needs some major overhauling and Dudley takes up valuable real estate (could make a dark ride or family coaster work in its plot) in a land without relevance while Popeye's space is pretty much limited to rapids ride due to its proximity to the IOA lagoon.

Once all of TL is updated or fixed, I could see a Popeye revamp/retheme, but currently, it's fine as it is.